Macbook air 2017 can`t install osx

Galdorf

Reaction score
Macbook air 2017 never seen this issue before i enter internet recovery download catalina it starts the initial install then when bar gets to end pop up saying there has been an error to try again tried 5 times same problem.
Reset PRAM/NVRAM
Ran Apple diagnostics everything passed then booted a set of diagnostics ran them everything passed.
wiped partition formatted extended journaled ran first aid no issues used built in image that it was shipped with same problem it was a few version back from catalina.
wiped partition formatted extended journaled tried USB install media same issue.
wiped partition formatted exfat installed windows 10 worked perfect ran another set of diagnostics no issues found. ram passed as well
Booted livecd Ubuntu 22.04 booted fine no issues ran more diagnostics no issues found.
Ran smart diagnostics on ssd says it is good.
Checked date and time it is spot on.
I really don`t like apple because all it says an error has occurred at least with windows the BSOD gives you an idea what happened and a dump you can examine.
Created new install media tested on another macbook air works fine tried it on macbook air with problems same
Error happens just before language setup

Last edited:
I don’t know what the issue is, but I wouldn’t be installing an out of support OS and I would format the SSD with APFS. Not comfortable with Ventura yet, I’d stick with Monterey.

I don’t know what the issue is, but I wouldn’t be installing an out of support OS and I would format the SSD with APFS. Not comfortable with Ventura yet, I’d stick with Monterey.
That is what was on my install media same error did try apfs a real head scratcher as it worked fine installing win 10 native on it ran burnin test with no issues.

Build USB install drive for Catalina, boot from it, don't connect to Internet, open terminal, set date to 01012018, install. If 2018 date doesn't work set it to 2017. I don't have my flash disks in front of me but I have a year date on each so I can get around this issue on older MacOS. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the Mac, it's Apple servers not wanting to install old MacOS in 2023. You have to set the date back in terminal and then don't connect to the Internet or it'll change the date again to current date.

The machine was brought in the customer tried to do an internet recovery and it failed.
I did get it working opened the macbook air blew out any dust removed battery then removed ssd cleaned contacts on ssd
held power button for 10 secs re-installed ssd re-attached battery closed it up.
Used install media with Monterey this time it has gone through the whole installation and is working fine found a video on youtube on fix tried it and it worked.

Is that the first time your tried Monterey?
No my recovery media was Monterey then i created another one thinking it may have been corrupt then after opening it blowing out dust disconnecting battery removing ssd then cleaning contacts holding power down for 10 secs then putting ssd back reconnecting battery and closing it back up so that would have been 3rd try with Monterey.

Back