Need help with clean install of Big Sur on Macbook Air mid 2013

maybe there's your issue, if it is a OWC one, then it requires the MacBook to be ate least on macOS High Sierra (on the original drive) because of firmware issues, if it's another brand you need to check the requirements to see if it is the same thing
I think it was originally on Mavericks.

I was given this Macbook Air to install a fresh OS on a new 256GB nvme drive and then restore with time machine for someone. I have been working with windows based PC's for years but am totally new to apple. That's why I came here.
So it was booting to a working OS and everything functioned as advertised? Was a Time Machine backup made and a restore tested? You don't have to do it to the original drive. It could be done to a USB stick?

So it was booting to a working OS and everything functioned as advertised? Was a Time Machine backup made and a restore tested? You don't have to do it to the original drive. It could be done to a USB stick?

If it is an OWC flash storage you MUST have it on High Sierra (at least) before installing the OWC SSD, that one I know for a fact :) other brands not sure, I only work with OWC (best ones on the market for Apple products)

I don't know if it was booting to a working OS, as the 128GB drive was already taken out when I got it. A time machine backup exists but I haven't gotten to that yet, as I understand it, one has to first install the OS then do the time machine.

I don't know if it was booting to a working OS, as the 128GB drive was already taken out when I got it. A time machine backup exists but I haven't gotten to that yet, as I understand it, one has to first install the OS then do the time machine.

exactly, but if the flash storage is not detected in disk utility you need to have the original flash storage to check, another question: is the new flash storage connected directly to the logic board or does it require another adapter to convert the flash storage to the logic connector?

exactly, but if the flash storage is not detected in disk utility you need to have the original flash storage to check, another question: is the new flash storage connected directly to the logic board or does it require another adapter to convert the flash storage to the logic connector?
I believe it is connected directly via PCI-E

In that case treat it as a repair not an upgrade.

the NVMe SSD is INDEM PCIe 256GB S/N E2205PE256G0580

This is the closest thing I could find https://www.amazon.com/INDMEM-256GB-Replacement-2013-2017-MacBook/dp/B07Z682XNC?th=1

I'm reading on here "
  • Must update original SSD to macOS 10.13 or later version before moving out. New SSD will not be recognized after replacement if original SSD installed 10.12 or earlier Mac OS."
How do I check this?
When I throw the old 128GB drive in and power it on I get a flashing question mark. If I hold option+command+R I get internet recovery, it gives me the option to install Mavericks and the drive shows up.

So I'd be if you install that then upgrade all the way to the latest 10.13, take it out and put in the new one, it will *probably* work.

Or, send it back and order the correct parts from OWC and rely on their experience with these things. It's worth the tiny premium they may charge for their parts.

So I'd be if you install that then upgrade all the way to the latest 10.13, take it out and put in the new one, it will *probably* work.

Or, send it back and order the correct parts from OWC and rely on their experience with these things. It's worth the tiny premium they may charge for their parts.
Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll try that.

So I was able to install Mavericks on the old 128GB drive. There was no option in system preferences to upgrade the version. I have a triage drive with a few other OS's on it. Should I try one of them?

If you throw the mac in a trash bin, it's considered an upgrade.

/sarcasm

Seriously though, 2013? Macs don't age well. Tell the client it's by the hour if they want that hunk of aluminum to fly again.

A 2013 MacBook Air will run macOS Big Sur 11.7.4, which is still supported, at least through most of this year. I agree, he's spent probably way too much time on it and losing money on it. But it can still be a decent computer. But then again, it's a Mac and this is Technibble.

maybe there's your issue, if it is a OWC one, then it requires the MacBook to be ate least on macOS High Sierra (on the original drive) because of firmware issues, if it's another brand you need to check the requirements to see if it is the same thing
Ok, I believe it's most likely the drive itself since the old drive works. Can you please recommend a 256 OWC drive for me?

Back