Macbook Air 10,1 M1 Screen replacement using Self Service Repair (Mac is now bricked)

Erratic

Reaction score
Good evening, Just wondering if anyone has found a solution to this issue I am having.

I have replaced 100+ apple macbook screens without fail. I usually use a third party screen that is nearly identical.

On this repair the customer specifically request a Genuine part even though it was 200+ more for repair.

I ordered from self service repair, replaced screen, tested screen, everything was going great.. In the instructions it tells you to goto selfservicerepair.com/support and let them run system configurator on your device. Well I did that, the rep told me to restart and they would connect and run it.. They ran it and told me it passed and told me to restart... I restarted and now I get a error every time "The version of macOS installed on the selected disk needs to be reinstalled"

The problem is user doesn't have a backup, I cant just wipe the whole computer and reinstall (i read on reddit other users are still having the same issue after screen replacement and only work around is clean install macOS from Apple Configurator)

the self service repair support I was working with told me they are not qualified to provide assistance with this matter and that I would need to contact apple support.. I am just at a lost. Why is it if I use a third party screen it works perfectly fine, but with this I follow apples instructions and now the laptop is having these issues.

There are adapters if is an SSD, one can get to backup data; I own one though are expensive the larger versions.

Aura III

if not I found this vid which may be helpfull, there are other users here more knowledgeable in recovery.

Macbook Data Recovery

Last edited:
The drive is not removable on this s
There are adapters if is an SSD, one can get to backup data; I own one though are expensive the larger versions.

Aura III

if not I found this vid which may be helpfull, there are other users here more knowledgeable in recovery.
Drive is not removable on this model. Thanks though

Target disk mode no longer works on newer macs
Yes it does. You just have to do it differently on the M series Macs.

I cant just wipe the whole computer and reinstall
Which is why you need to back up every Mac before you do anything to it. If you're lucky you'll be able to recover the data using Target Disk Mode as described in the link I linked above. If not, then attach an external SSD and reinstall Mac OS on the SSD. DO NOT try to install Mac OS on the internal SSD or format it using Disk Utility. Then boot from the external SSD. From there you'll be able to access the internal SSD. Just be aware that reinstalling Mac OS isn't a simple task anymore because Apple locks down their Macs just like they do their iPhones and iPads. You'll need the password for the current user on the Mac as well as their iCloud email address and password. Also, to boot from an external USB device you need to change the startup security options. You can do this while you're in the Startup Options reinstalling Mac OS on the external SSD. You need to change this setting before installing Mac OS on the external ssd.

You're probably going to run into this. I copied and pasted this from my Master Apple Notes:

Scenario:

No administrator account found

or

Select a user to set as the owner of the new volume

And/or

Recovery is trying to change system settings no administrator was found

Solution:

Change security options to allow booting from a USB device.

Boot from Mac OS USB installer, then open Terminal and use the “resetpassword” command.

Back