N & P on Win10 Machine - Can one do the paving with Windows 11 afterward?

It is claimed that the Feature Updates will not occur automatically, but since I did the 23H2 update manually on all my hardware, compatible and incompatible, I have no idea if that's true.

I can definitely say that incompatible hardware has been getting the same "non-feature" updates as my supported hardware has been.

It would be so nice if Microsoft actually meant what they said, at all times. This entire topic would have been unnecessary if what they said was consistent and could be trusted. But since what was supposed to be the end of the free update period to Windows 10 in July 2016, which never was the end, and where multiple "it's the end" announcements for ends that weren't have been made, we have to rely on what we hear about what's actually happening in practice to know what's going on.
So then, if Windows 11 gets updates on unsupported hardware, I wonder if any of those will upgrade to Windows 12, since you have to get all the previous updates in order to move ahead?

@ThatPlace928

Microsoft would have been very wise to have stuck with their initial statement that Windows 10 was, "The last version of Windows," and then dropped the "10" over the course of the next year or two. Windows is OS software as a service, and Windows 11 was nothing more than the next Feature Update to Windows 10 that the marketing people decided needed to be branded differently. It identified itself, deep under the hood, as still being Windows 10 until recently.

Windows 12 is not "a new Windows" but is the next Feature Update to Windows 11 that some marketing genius has decided needs to have a new version number.

Both Windows 11 and 12 are direct, natural progressions of what started life as Windows 10, not major tectonic shifts like 8 and 10 were upon their introductions.

@ThatPlace928

Windows 12 is not "a new Windows" but is the next Feature Update to Windows 11 that some marketing genius has decided needs to have a new version number.

Both Windows 11 and 12 are direct, natural progressions of what started life as Windows 10, not major tectonic shifts like 8 and 10 were upon their introductions.
Good to know. The quick jump from 11 to 12 made me think there was a lot wrong with 11. A lot of my laptops are on Windows 11 but mine, personally, is still on 10 and I like it that way. I'll upgrade only when I'm forced to.

@ThatPlace928

I have to say that I like Windows 11 much better than Windows 10, and I really liked Windows 10. There are some major (to me) improvements in Windows 11, particularly in Settings.

@ThatPlace928

I have to say that I like Windows 11 much better than Windows 10, and I really liked Windows 10. There are some major (to me) improvements in Windows 11, particularly in Settings.
I can live with Windows 11 but I like 10 much better. I hate expanded drop down menus and I'm about ready to get rid of Google Chrome for the same reason. They keep expanding their menus to where I have to scroll to the bottom to get to settings. To me, all that nonsense they have above it is meaningless and nothing but a time waster.

Back