Windows Installation, Licensing and OEM questions.

Defektedtoy

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have a few questions concerning Windows installations on customers computers. These questions are going to sound very amateur :eek: but I haven't been able to find clear answers anywhere else on the web, so please bare with me.

Say I go to a customers house and they are looking to upgrade their version of windows. Would I need to sell them a store bought copy of windows, or just the license key?

If it's simply a license key, where would I obtain a set of licenses that I can sell?

Do I just need to buy OEM disks (XP 32/64, Win7 32/64 and win 8-8.1 32/64) for me to install then get a batch of license keys, or do I need to buy a stockpile of retail Windows disks?

I'm not sure of what I need, or if I am over thinking this whole thing. I want to be able to offer Windows upgrades if the customer so chooses, and I also want to be able to do a fresh install if the customers PC needs a nuke because of a virus or HD failure. The license keys are what's tripping me up.

I have installed Windows on a ton of computers in the past, but in every situation the person I was installing Windows for had their own copy.

I just want to be prepared. Ideally, I would like to be able to be ready for either situation without having to make the customer wait for shipping, or for me (or the customer) to go out and purchase windows then have to call me back yadda yadda...

Am I over thinking it? Is this something I simply have to deal with on a case-by-case basis, or is there a way for me to be prepared for this situation?

From what I gathered I should have OEM disks for installing windows on computers I sell, but since I am not actually selling pre built computers, what are my options?

Apologies for coming off like a total noob concerning this, but this is my first romp in the PC repair world professionally, and on my own. I just don't want to customer to have to pay for me not being ready for this specific situation.

Thanks in advance!

Either tote around some retail packages, or create you some installation media and purchase the keys from http://www.discountmountainsoftware.com/ as needed.

IMO, to a home user it'd be more professional if someone were to hand me physical media with a nice COA sticker if I had them upgrade my OS... but that's just me... and I've been known to be an oddball.

Last edited:
Say I go if the customers PC needs a nuke because of a virus or HD failure. The license keys are what's tripping me up.

It sounds as you're mainly asking for re-installation procedure. For this you would need an oem disc media along with the oem key on the side of the pc. To be prepared you would need the following oem discs: xp home, xp pro, Vista 32bit, Vista 64bit, win7 home32, win7 pro32, win7 home64, win7 pro64, win7ulitmate64. These would cover 99% of the pcs you would be reloading. I forgot about Windows 8 :) I guess you would need a windows 8 home 64 and Windows 8 pro 64

With Windows 7 I created Universal Disks for x86 and x64 Systems. Covers all the bases from Basic - Ultimate Versions. So instead of carrying around a disk for each version I just have 2.

Even got Language Versions because I once to re-install Windows 7 in Spanish.

OEM media can only be installed on a new computer. It cannot be used on an existing machine that already had a previous copy of windows on it.

Basically, IMO, it boils down to this. If you cannot extract their key from the computer, cannot read it from the side of the computer, and cannot backup the activation token with advanced tokens manager, AND you cannot get restore media for the computer then you need to purchase a RETAIL version of windows.

IMO this is the only legal way to do it, and I wouldn't gamble with doing it any other way. Buying a "branded" copy of windows from discount mountain is, again IMO, not legal and not what that copy of windows was meant for. If it says "DELL" on the disk and packaging then it was sold to DELL for DELL to use it on a new machine they built.

On windows 8 the key is stored in the BIOS (for any machine that came with 8 on it). All you need to do is insert a windows 8 disk and install it.... everything else will be taken care of automatically.

For windows 7 or vista hopefully you can read the COA on the side of the computer. If you cannot then you can try advanced tokens manager to backup the activation of that OS. IF you cannot do that, then a recovery disk would work as the restored image would be activated automatically.

OEM media can only be installed on a new computer. It cannot be used on an existing machine that already had a previous copy of windows on it.

Basically, IMO, it boils down to this. If you cannot extract their key from the computer, cannot read it from the side of the computer, and cannot backup the activation token with advanced tokens manager, AND you cannot get restore media for the computer then you need to purchase a RETAIL version of windows.

IMO this is the only legal way to do it, and I wouldn't gamble with doing it any other way. Buying a "branded" copy of windows from discount mountain is, again IMO, not legal and not what that copy of windows was meant for. If it says "DELL" on the disk and packaging then it was sold to DELL for DELL to use it on a new machine they built.

On windows 8 the key is stored in the BIOS (for any machine that came with 8 on it). All you need to do is insert a windows 8 disk and install it.... everything else will be taken care of automatically.

For windows 7 or vista hopefully you can read the COA on the side of the computer. If you cannot then you can try advanced tokens manager to backup the activation of that OS. IF you cannot do that, then a recovery disk would work as the restored image would be activated automatically.

For what it is worth. This is just my opinion and there are going to be several out there that will disagree with me about it.

It is not legal for you to purchase a system builder copy of Windows and upgrade someone's system with it. Having said that I have done so for years and not had Microsoft, the FBI, the BSA, the CIA, or the KKK come and kick my door in.

Microsoft also turns a blind eye to places like discountmountain who often sell surplus copies of Windows that have been branded by an OEM. Dell stamps right on the disk For use only with a Dell Computer, yet they must have sold the disks to discountmountain in the first place. So long as Microsoft is paid for the copy of windows, which Dell already did, they really don't care what is done with it and are understanding of the slightly under the table liquidation of surplus stock in order to offset the loss of purchasing it and not being able to sell it.

In the past Microsoft has told System Builders that OEM copies could be used to install over illegal warez copies and then they have flipped flopped and said you cannot. In the past you had to sell hardware with single copies of Windows. Got many a bag of old screws tossed in with a copy of Windows. Now you don't need to do that. Again so long as Microsoft gets paid for the copy you are selling your fine. I've never seen anyone get busted for selling OEM as upgrades. Plenty of pirates busted for counterfeiting but not selling something legally purchased from Microsoft and sold.

Microsoft has bigger fish to fry then to bug someone for selling a legal copy(not Chinese counterfeit) copy of Windows.

My opinion and have the board will disagree with me about it so it is your choice on what to do. No one will consider it bad if your are conservative and stick with retail copies.

From what I gathered I should have OEM disks for installing windows on computers I sell, but since I am not actually selling pre built computers, what are my options?

Look at the sticky that PC Ops posted to help familiarize yourself with M$ licensing. But to be honest you don't really need to do that.

Microsoft hosts their free 30 day trials for their currently supported OS's, for the most part, on digitalriver.com. However they do not make it easy to find the ISO's. All of the ISO's are legit 30 day trials that you can then register and purchase a legit key online. I do this all of the time, especially with Apple customers that are sold Parallels or Fusion thinking it includes Windows. You can then burn a copy of the ISO for the customer for recovery purposes. I carry a number of ISO's on a thumb drive to save download time.

This site has been posted before and I think has the most complete set of links for retail ISO's.

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

Also, if you have Windows Vista, I think those discs had the installer for each OS on the same disc. I thought there was a guide also that shows how to make a Windows 7 disc act as a universal disc. Not sure on legality, but as long as you aren't pirating keys I would think you are ok.

Also, if you have Windows Vista, I think those discs had the installer for each OS on the same disc. I thought there was a guide also that shows how to make a Windows 7 disc act as a universal disc. Not sure on legality, but as long as you aren't pirating keys I would think you are ok.

I'ts completely legit to make a universal disk as well as slip streaming in service packs and drivers.

I carry with me an XP all brands disc, Vista x86 and x64 usb flash drives, and Universal Win7 flash drives for x86 and x64. If the COA is readable on the PC or they have one available, I use that. If not I either have them wait for me to pick up a retail version of Windows (boxed), or buy online at like discountmountain.

So is discountmountain safe or legit? I ask because I got a new laptop(new to me). Someone thought it was shot and got a new one, gave it to me. It is a compaq with the dreaded nvidia chips. However, it's about 5 years old. Case looks almost brand new, shipped with Vista(that's what's on the COA). I looked at it, dropped a spare hard drive in it and popped in 4 gb of ram from my old laptop to this one which has a little Athlon x2 dual core in it. Honestly now it feels like brand new. Thinking windows 7 or ugh even 8 might not be bad on it.

So is discountmountain safe or legit? I ask because I got a new laptop(new to me). Someone thought it was shot and got a new one, gave it to me. It is a compaq with the dreaded nvidia chips. However, it's about 5 years old. Case looks almost brand new, shipped with Vista(that's what's on the COA). I looked at it, dropped a spare hard drive in it and popped in 4 gb of ram from my old laptop to this one which has a little Athlon x2 dual core in it. Honestly now it feels like brand new. Thinking windows 7 or ugh even 8 might not be bad on it.

Yep, they are legit.

Safe? Yes. It is genuine software produced by Dell for Dell systems(or Hp etc.) It doesn't have backdoors or viruses.

Legit? Yes. See above it is real software that the OEMs have sold in bulk at discount for clearance.

Legal? Maybe. Software is clearly marked for use only with a Dell PC(or hp, lenovo, whatever). Now can anyone legally enforce that? Not really. And does Microsoft WANT to do anything about it. Also no. If they did they would have sued Dell and or Discount Mountain years ago and you can't because it gets back to the can they really legally enforce that statement above.

If you don't mind handing your clients firesale branded software for your own PCs then it is not an issue. But no lawyers or FBI agents are going to harass you for this.

I carry with me an XP all brands disc, Vista x86 and x64 usb flash drives, and Universal Win7 flash drives for x86 and x64. If the COA is readable on the PC or they have one available, I use that. If not I either have them wait for me to pick up a retail version of Windows (boxed), or buy online at like discountmountain.

For Toshiba, hp, acer and I'm sure other brands you can order media directly from them for about $20

We order them as needed for clients and pass the price on. They are usually good for only a specific model line. The last set we purchased were labeled Toshiba L450 series. We will save a copy and use that for any other of those series that come in with an unreadable COA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't bother ordering them for customers. I just tell them the number to call and what info they need to get the correct disk(s).

I don't bother ordering them for customers. I just tell them the number to call and what info they need to get the correct disk(s).

I think that works better for you since you are doing more business support. For us doing a high percentage of break/fix residential it would not work as well for us. Since we have their laptop sitting in our shop, we want to do everything to complete the job so we don't lose out on $159 in labor. Since we offer free estimates, we would get paid nothing for diagnostic and evaluation time we already would have invested.

Back