New restrictions for MSOffice via Techsoup?

HCHTech

Reaction score
One of my church clients is adding a new AV computer so asked for an Office install as part of the setup. They have a Techsoup account already, and are primarily a Google Workspace organization (email, file storage, groups, etc.). The use Powerpoint for AV, though and don't want to change. Going through the Office selections at Techsoup, I see that the perpetual licenses all include the "Computer Lab" restriction:

"I understand that this product is only available to organizations that operate computer labs. I understand that these products can be used only on computers that are available to an organization's beneficiaries or the general public. I understand that these products may not be used on computers that are assigned to staff members or volunteers."

So, that seems out by my readings. "may not be used on computers assigned to staff members or volunteers" - the AV folks are all volunteers. I think that means the only choice left to get the desktop version of PP is an E3 license, which is a whole thing - creating a new managed tenant, monthly charge, etc.

Am I missing something here? I think it would be easier to just purchase a retail license ($160 one time).

Do they already have the 10 free Business Premium licenses? I recently got a non-profit hooked up with that by interacting directly with Microsoft. Didn't have to involve techsoup.

Yeah, the freebie general use Office licenses for churches are M365 licenses. They have the 10 free premium seats, use those for the office deployment. No, there is no more "per device" option unless they want to fork over for a CSP commercial license.

They do not have the 10 free premium seats - they only got individual licenses for office (thorough techsoup) in the past, which used the volume license process. Getting setup for the 10-free premium seats is a process, I'll just have to grind through it, even though they have no need for any other services. Future me will thank me, I suppose, even if current me realizes it will take $500 of otherwise billable time to do it. This is my own church, so I donate my services.

They do not have the 10 free premium seats - they only got individual licenses for office (thorough techsoup) in the past, which used the volume license process. Getting setup for the 10-free premium seats is a process, I'll just have to grind through it, even though they have no need for any other services. Future me will thank me, I suppose, even if current me realizes it will take $500 of otherwise billable time to do it. This is my own church, so I donate my services.

Skip TechSoup (which yes...can be a process)....
Just have any client apply directly to Microsoft for their non profit status, it is pretty quick and easy...I've stood up dozens of non profit tenants, or attached non profit status to clients existing tenants.
Once granted, you can easily order up the non-profit licensing. We still use PAX8 to slide in the non profit licenses, that way the credits still go to us, and the non profit licenses that have a cost (like the 11th and onward M365BizPrem licenses that are 5 bucks per)...we still purchase at a discount and resell at street.

I used to do TONS of TechSoup volume licensing way back in the pre-365 days....but, it's just so simple and easy to manage it via clients 365 portal now with non profit status.

Wizard here..

Just have any client apply directly to Microsoft for their non profit status, it is pretty quick and easy...

Seconded. I did work for a local nonprofit counseling center when they were doing a "general technology upgrade" and one of the things I had them do was to apply as a non-profit for the 10-seats free M365.

Other than pointing them to the correct location to initiate the process, I did nothing else. They got back in touch with me later on for some setup, but I didn't touch a thing as far as going through the licensing process.

Back