Ticket of the Week

NETWizz

Reaction score

11/08/2023 04:20 PM | An IT Person name redacted.

Newly 22H2 imaged dell desktop is not connecting to the network. It will connect to the network in my work area in the IT office (Room 325E) in <redacted> site where I first imaged it.

When we move the PC to the assigned floor (Room 112A). It wouldn't connect to the network. We got an error message "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration". Staff are using their laptops to work in the area as a workaround. We left the PC on the port for 1 week & no connection to the network.

The DHCP settings is on automatic. The ethernet port on the PC has orange lights. I've tested several staff members workstations on that port & they connect fine. Please advise or assist. Thank you

11/09/2023 12:33 PM | IT Person's boss (another IT person)

The desktop was tested on another port on the first floor but couldnt reach the internet. It is currently plug in port 33 on the first floor in <redacted>. Please check the port or advise what to do next.

11/09/2023 01:09 PM | ME

If an endpoint is not working, please have a local technician troubleshoot the issue and determine what makes this computer different vs other similar computers specifically since you stated, "I've tested several staff members workstations on that port & they connect fine."

Being it is the same switch and structure cabling, the above is not indicative of a network issue but rather one computer not working when connected to the network. All the switch ports are configured the same.

Sure will Advise (as requested):

Redirecting this ticket back to your IT group... Ultimately your goal should be to document enough troubleshooting to rule-out the above computer as being the problem before escalating this as a possible network issue. Being you have got an "orange"(really amber) light you may want to start there and determine the meaning and significance of that light and if it is the link or activity light (there are two separate lights) and what the colors mean for that particular EndPoint model or network adapter vary among vendors (i.e. Dell, HP, Broadcom, Intel, etc.) . You may also check if plugged into a different port and/or with a different network cable if you get a different color light on that network adapter. You may want to use a cable tester to test the patch cable, or both patch cables (i.e. there is also one going from the patch panel to the switch), or better yet test the entire path… test the patch cable all the way from the back of where it connects to the computer to where it plugs into the switch to rule out the entire Layer-1 "physical" cable/media. This is especially important when troubleshooting getting the wrong color light on the network adapter; specifically, abnormal link light colors often mean auto/auto speed/duplex did NOT negotiate at an optimum speed/duplex with the switch port, which is configured auto/auto. You may also want to put in this ticket what switch and switchport it plugs into because port 33 if that is a port in a room goes to a patch panel, where it likely connects to the switch on a port with a different number than 33. We have visibility only to switch ports, so if you provide the port and switch, we can look at the interface counters (and possible error-counters) on the physical media for that endpoint. Should this enpdoint plug into a VoIP phone, you may want to mention that in the ticket and see if the problem goes away by plugging directly into the wall. You may want to try (or at least document) a different troubleshooting approach than leaving it for a week. Best of luck with your endpoint troubleshooting.

TMI!!!! haha
I'd make those bullets btw. For the people who won't understand 😂, then copy and paste in your own kb, why write this more than once lol.

• Being you have got an "orange"(really amber) light you may want to start there and determine the meaning and significance of that light and if it is the link or activity light (there are two separate lights) and what the colors mean for that particular EndPoint model or network adapter vary among vendors (i.e. Dell, HP, Broadcom, Intel, etc.) .
  • You may also check if plugged into a different port and/or with a different network cable if you get a different color light on that network adapter.
  • You may want to use a cable tester to test the patch cable, or both patch cables (i.e. there is also one going from the patch panel to the switch), or better yet test the entire path… test the patch cable all the way from the back of where it connects to the computer to where it plugs into the switch to rule out the entire Layer-1 "physical" cable/media. This is especially important when troubleshooting getting the wrong color light on the network adapter; specifically, abnormal link light colors often mean auto/auto speed/duplex did NOT negotiate at an optimum speed/duplex with the switch port, which is configured auto/auto.
  • You may also want to put in this ticket what switch and switchport it plugs into because port 33 if that is a port in a room goes to a patch panel, where it likely connects to the switch on a port with a different number than 33. We have visibility only to switch ports, so if you provide the port and switch, we can look at the interface counters (and possible error-counters) on the physical media for that endpoint. Should this enpdoint plug into a VoIP phone, you may want to mention that in the ticket and see if the problem goes away by plugging directly into the wall.
  • You may want to try (or at least document) a different troubleshooting approach than leaving it for a week

Back