Windows 7 Won't Update

Marcus Jones

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm working on a clients windows 7 machine, it's a residential PC. Anyway when I went to update the machine and it continuously runs into error code: 80073701.
I have done the following
Ran Tweaking Windows Repair
Ran the windows update troubleshooter,
Restarted the Windows update services, and BITS
Ran DISM
Ran sfc /scannow
Any advice or ideas would help. Thanks!

Last edited:
Format C:, install Windows 10.

In all seriousness, WSUS will probably sort you out. Windows 7 cannot update if it is missing things, you cannot let it lapse or over it goes. WSUS will fix that.

Thanks for this link, lots of great info.

After running wsusoffline and through 3 reboots, I was able to check for updates normally without errors. I went through three batches (52, then 5, then 1 (.net), then another 1. Now I'm back to my original error (0x8024402c).

Any other suggestions?

Open command prompt.

Net stop wuauserv (stop windows update service)

Then open up c:\windows\softwaredistribution

Move all the files and folders out of this folder, to somewhere else.

net start wuauserv (start windows update service)

You should see most of the files come back almost immediately, then run updates again... beware, it's going to take a LONG time. Assuming it works, delete the backup you made.

Open command prompt.

You should see most of the files come back almost immediately, then run updates again... beware, it's going to take a LONG time. Assuming it works, delete the backup you made.

This usually works for me... the other thing that helps me is to be sure and grab the latest update agent...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...he-windows-update-agent-to-the-latest-version

Open command prompt.

I tried this earlier, no luck.

Open command prompt.

No luck on these either. For the software distribution folder, I've moved the contents to another folder , deleted the folder as well as renaming the folder. None of these helped.

FYI: This is a computer that is connected to a domain but not currently on the domain network. I've worked with computers like this in the past without issue. Ex: sales people out in the field never logging in at the office for weeks at a time but still get their Win updates.

Might be easier to just sell them a Windows 10 home license and install that.
Was going to say that but the flow of excuses and bashin 10 soon begins.

And 10 is still available for free by using the Win 7 key to activate. You have to only charge for your service.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Was going to say that but the flow of excuses and bashin 10 soon begins.

And 10 is still available for free by using the Win 7 key to activate. You have to only charge for your service.:rolleyes:

Seriously? I didn't know that was still a thing? Is that for as an upgrade or how does that work out?

It's not technically legal, but it does still work. You just feed the installer the Win7 or Win8 key and it'll activate.

You cannot upgrade this way, it must be a nuke and pave.

Back