Windows 7 Updates

NBT_Guy007

Reaction score
Hello Can anyone help me out and give a better way of getting all the Windows 7 updates to install right after a clean install. ? I've tried Slipstreaming all the updates in the windows 7 install USB stick Its great! But the First initial update right after the windows install will Take from 4-6hrs to get the list.....and then it starts....Is there any way to make that first list update to go faster? Know what I mean?

Thanks
:)

A lot of people here, including me, use WSUSOffline. See http://www.wsusoffline.net/ You do a one-time download of all the updates you want and store it on a local HD. You can then use it to apply the updates to any number of PCs. Once-a-month, right after "Patch Tuesday" I'll run the downloader again to pickup any new updates and I'm good for another month

When we do a complete install of Windows -- any version -- our process is like this:
  1. Do the actual Windows install using the install media of your choice
  2. Update all the drivers using Snappy Driver, a GREAT tool and author is here on TN. See https://sdi-tool.org/
  3. Activate Windows, if not done already
  4. Run WSUSOffline to apply the bulk of outstanding Windows Updates
  5. Run Windows Update to download/install any remaining updates (on Win 7, there can be quite of few of these)
  6. Customize as appropriate
p.s. WSUSOffline also contains the updates for systems other than Windows, such as MS Office and dotNet.
The WSUSOffline database is about 21GB and the Snappy Driver database is about 12GB, small enough to fit on a 64GB flash drive which you can carry when you go onsite.

Hope this helps.

You will also see quite a few guys using custom images that already have windows updates installed, but most likely most of the computers you get won't have imaging rights, so this is technically against the licence agreement, but so is reloading using media other than the original restore media. But it is by far the fastest way to reload Windows.

Last edited:
Ok, Yes I've use WSUS When i get really Stuck. But its not so much getting the Updates. the Waiting period you have to do when getting the first updates within windows. Thats my Problem Why does it take so long to get the updates? How do i make it go faster. Downloading the updates is fine with WSUS But Windows itself still needs to checked with server before it gets any updates for the system. 6 hrs maybe more before anything happends. Its mind racking. Windows 7 install takes me 3 almost 4 days to complete! Way to long!. ???? Help.

MS would have been better off fixing issues like this in 7 and just calling it 10. I have this issue quite a bit with even new installs and finally went to offline updates. This is actually faster and I think does a better job. I just select the updates and tell it to reboot when needed. Before I do that I fire up Hirens cd and remove the user password. Otherwise I have issues where you have to login before WSUSoffline picks up again to finish installs.

We wrote this procedure up in February on Technibbles. It has sure helped the 3 of us and front the feedback it sounds like it helped some fellow Technibblers. Unfortunately there just doesn't seem to be a majic bullet for this issue. We have used WSUS Offline with some success also.

In our shop we do a lot of re-imaging of customers' computers using Windows 7 Home Prem. and Professional. The past few months however, after clean installs of Windows 7, windows update fails to find updates no matter what course of action we take to fix it. Each failure usually comes with a different error code each time. This appears to be a common problem with 7 after extensively searching online and through these forums. There are a multitude of different fixes out there and some worked for us; most didn't.

So without further ado, I'm sharing with you all a legitimate *fix (it worked flawlessly on 3 out of 3 fresh Win 7 installs both x86 & x64) we finally found yesterday after hours of scratching our heads:
*Note this has only been tested on freshly CLEAN installs of Win 7 Home Premium & Professional with Service Pack 1! If you don't have Service Pack 1 installed, do so before attempting this.

1) Go here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3135445 download the correct bit version, save it somewhere on the PC (I would create a folder on desktop).

2) Save this in the same folder: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/what-is-the-system-update-readiness-tool

3) Disconnect from the internet. If using WiFi, disconnect and make sure to uncheck the "automatically connect to network" box.

4) Reboot. Make sure windows is offline, and install the first file KB3135445. It may take a few minutes. After installation, reboot again.

5) After boot, install the second file. The SUR Tool is a large file and may take much longer than the first one. The progress bar won't show anything for some reason. Patience, Padawan.

6) After SUR install, reboot again. Upon boot, reconnect to the internets and manually check for updates just like you normally would. Your mileage may vary, but ours took a bit to get going. In a few minutes, you should see a notification of some kind down in the toolbar regarding installation of updates, then the Windows Update icon. Success!

Follow these instructions to the T, make sure you have the right files and you should be golden! Any questions or unexpected problems, feel free to ask. This fix was a huuuge relief since we came across the update issues DAILY. Have a nice day :}

Wow Thanks Guys! Thats Awesome! I will try these steps and get back to all really soon. Great Knowledge you guys! Great Job! I think i just found my heaven! This place is Amazing! Wish I knew of this place Sooner! With you all here I should be able to open my Computer repair store with out any issues! lol. Thats hoping.!;)

We wrote this procedure up in February on Technibbles. It has sure helped the 3 of us and front the feedback it sounds like it helped some fellow Technibblers. Unfortunately there just doesn't seem to be a majic bullet for this issue. We have used WSUS Offline with some success also.

In our shop we do a lot of re-imaging of customers' computers using Windows 7 Home Prem. and Professional. The past few months however, after clean installs of Windows 7, windows update fails to find updates no matter what course of action we take to fix it. Each failure usually comes with a different error code each time. This appears to be a common problem with 7 after extensively searching online and through these forums. There are a multitude of different fixes out there and some worked for us; most didn't.

So without further ado, I'm sharing with you all a legitimate *fix (it worked flawlessly on 3 out of 3 fresh Win 7 installs both x86 & x64) we finally found yesterday after hours of scratching our heads:
*Note this has only been tested on freshly CLEAN installs of Win 7 Home Premium & Professional with Service Pack 1! If you don't have Service Pack 1 installed, do so before attempting this.

1) Go here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3135445 download the correct bit version, save it somewhere on the PC (I would create a folder on desktop).

2) Save this in the same folder: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/what-is-the-system-update-readiness-tool

3) Disconnect from the internet. If using WiFi, disconnect and make sure to uncheck the "automatically connect to network" box.

4) Reboot. Make sure windows is offline, and install the first file KB3135445. It may take a few minutes. After installation, reboot again.

5) After boot, install the second file. The SUR Tool is a large file and may take much longer than the first one. The progress bar won't show anything for some reason. Patience, Padawan.

6) After SUR install, reboot again. Upon boot, reconnect to the internets and manually check for updates just like you normally would. Your mileage may vary, but ours took a bit to get going. In a few minutes, you should see a notification of some kind down in the toolbar regarding installation of updates, then the Windows Update icon. Success!

Follow these instructions to the T, make sure you have the right files and you should be golden! Any questions or unexpected problems, feel free to ask. This fix was a huuuge relief since we came across the update issues DAILY. Have a nice day :}

You Are Awesome! This Worked Perfectly! Fellow Tech Friend I owe You Steak and Beers if your ever here in Winnipeg! That's amazing! No more waiting 6 hrs to download updates! Right ON! Thanks So Much for the Tip and Tech Help !;)

This thread is gold- thank you for the suggestions. I have always just waited the 4-6 hours for each fresh Win 7 install. This new tool will change my life!

Follow the instructions in my post here: For those of you having issues with Win 7 Updates

You install the enterprise hotfix, IE 11, the latest WSUS installer and then do your updates. 90% faster.
I tried both yours (nlinecomputers) & River Valley Computer way of getting this done and they both work very well. It sure beats trying to get them from Mickey$oft via an Internet connection.

So I give a big thumbs up to both of your write-ups and specific directions on how to do this.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda, er, uh Technibble. :)

Wow! THIS IS THE ANSWER!!!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I can do Win7 reloads same-day now!!!

:D I SO HAPPY!!! :D

So I'm in update hell with a machine I'm setting up for a rabid Win 7 Professional client.

It's been a week so far of poking at these stupid updates. I'm in a circular cluster of frustration and hatred for all things MS. I can't update 3135445 because my IE is out of date-it doesn't work with FF or Chrome, so I try to update the backwards-thinking mouth breather IE browser and because of the update issue it won't do it...so back I go trying other things and getting nowhere. WSUS sort of worked I have all these updates on the machine which I've deleted and redownloaded 4 times that refuse to install. But it boils down to IE won't update for me to update the rest of their nonsense.

Big big key i found is to stop the windows update service during the installation of the april and july rollup kb's and it works great on the 5 test laptops i just did

Still don't understand why there isn't a Service Pack 2 for Win7.
Because per Microsoft policy and contracts issuing a formal service pack would bring Windows 7 back to full supported development mode. Microsoft would be obligated to provide ten years of support for Windows 7 SP2 from that point. Microsoft doesn't want to do that. They want it to die in 2020 and you should too.

Because per Microsoft policy and contracts issuing a formal service pack would bring Windows 7 back to full supported development mode. Microsoft would be obligated to provide ten years of support for Windows 7 SP2 from that point. Microsoft doesn't want to do that. They want it to die in 2020 and you should too.

Ahhh! Thanks @nlinecomputers .

Back