Windows Update - "You're up to date"

Haole Boy

Reaction score
Aloha everyone. In need of your assistance again, mahalo in advance.

Working on a Dell Inspiron 13 laptop. It was running Win10 Home 1909 and failing to update to 2004. Rather than play around trying to figure out why it would not update, I did an in-place upgrade to 20H2. Everything is working, sfc and dism restorehealth run clean. However when I go to Windows Update, it says "You're up to date". My expectation is that after the in-place upgrade, manually running WU would find a bunch of updates to install and proceed to do so.

Looking at the Update History, I see the 2021-05 Quality Update is installed. So WU was working to do that. My ISO file was from December 28, 2020 so shouldn't I see 2021-01, 2021-02, etc. quality updates being installed? Or is 2021-05 a cumulative update? And shouldn't 2021-06 be offered for install? It is the 8th of July, so my expectation is that the June quality update is available.

I also just used the same ISO to do a fresh install of Win10 20H2 on another laptop and there were many items installed by WU after rebooting.

I have run the Windows Update troubleshooter, the Windows Repair Toolkit WU reset tool and no change. I'm kinda stumped as to why WU is not finding any additional fixes to install.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mahalo,

Harry Z

Or is 2021-05 a cumulative update?
Generally, all quality updates are cumulative. Usually there's just one after a fresh install, and usually a cumulative .NET update as well.

Check in optional updates. Most driver updates are in there, and sometimes the latest cumulative update waits in there for a while before automatically isntalling.

If you did a from disk upgrade, while the machine was online, and you selected the "download updates" option which is by default in the wizard. The upgrade process will pull you straight to current, no further patches required.

Honestly one of my favorite things about Windows 10! Presumably you can test Tuesday, with the formal July update releases... assuming the emergency one we got this week isn't both anyway.

Mahalo for the replies.

@fincoder - nothing in the Optional Updates. Looked at another machine and the 2021-05 update description says "Update for Windows 10". The 2021-06 and 2021-07 updates descriptions say "Cumulative Update for Windows 10". Also, there was an update for .NET installed also.

@nlinecomputers - Looking at another machine that is at 20H2, fix 2021-06 is KB5003637. However, when I look at that fix here it shows it's for builds 19041.1052, 19042.1052, and 19043.1052. But, the 20H2 build I have is 19042.1083, which seems to correspond to some fixes listed for 21H1. So, I'm totally confused

KB5004945 is not listed in Update History, nor is it found when searching for updates

@Sky-Knight - Would these updates be listed in the Update History? My normal process would be to download updates as part of the upgrade, and then on first reboot, check for additional updates. IIRC, there were no updates available when I checked after reboot which seemed rather strange.

Again, mahalo for the assistance.

Harry Z

@Haole Boy No, they aren't... which is quite annoying. They're rolled up into the "Feature Update" itself.

But I think the powershell command will list them... Try this:
Code:
wmic qfe list
in an admin powershell.

Except for the missing KB5004945 updates I think you are good. Keep in mind that update is being rolled out in waves to avoid swamping m$ update servers. It's an emergency patch that is being force pushed to servers first.

Also note that some patches are targeted to different builds so not every PC gets the same patch even if they are addressing the same issues. That's why referring to patches by date is misleading. Microsoft can roll out multiple patches, each with its own KB number all addressing the same security issue which has its own KB to describe the problem.

@Haole Boy No, they aren't... which is quite annoying. They're rolled up into the "Feature Update" itself.

But I think the powershell command will list them... Try this:
Code:
wmic qfe list
in an admin powershell.

And @Sky-Knight gets the gold medal! Running the 'wmic qfe list' command shows that KB5004945 is installed. (See attachment for full output of wmic command).

Doing some googling for the 2021-06 cumulative update KB5003637, led me to this page in the Microsoft Update Catalog, which on the 'Packages' tab indicates that this update has been replaced by KB5004945.

Intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that the 'missing' update has been rolled into another update that does not show up in the Update History. Sigh....

Looks like this is a PEBKAC, and I'm him.

Mahalo for all the assistance!

P.S. The 'wmic qfe list' command does not show the one fix (KB4023057) that IS shown in the Update History. You'd think after all these years, you could click on 'View Update History' or run a command and actually see all of the fixes.

Harry Z

Attachments

• qfe_list.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 0
Well you can... but what's in the list is whatever cumulative package you got to get you to current. Which isn't always apparent.

On this level it's a ton worse than it used to be, BUT... going back means the old update engine that thankfully died with Windows 8.1. I'll take some ambiguity in the logs in trade for installing a single update package and getting to current in one shot!

I do NOT miss arguing with Windows Update for hours to get several hundred updates to apply!

Back