[SOLVED] Windows 10 v1709 Optical Drive Code 19

Slaters Kustum Machines

Reaction score
I have a client that has several people that are running Windows 10 Pro x64 on Dell Optiplex 790's and cannot use their optical drives. They do not show up in Windows Explorer, however they are listed in Device Manager with a "code 19" error.
Here is what I have tried:
  • Uninstall/reinstall from device manager. This works until you reboot.
  • Looked for GPO's, but didn't see anything that would cause this. I'll look through one more time though, based on it breaking after a reboot.
  • Removed upper/lower filters in the registry
  • Ran the Windows Hardware Troubleshooter
  • Uninstall/reinstall the ATAPI/IDE controller
  • Added this registry entry: "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
  • Checked Sophos Endpoint policies and it is set not to block any removable media.

Edit: This looks to be exactly what is happening, I'll take a look when I am next onsite and report back. https://community.sophos.com/produc...int-software/4867/windows-10-cd-dvd-rom-issue

This reminds me of a very old issue where you had to delete the upper and lower filters plugged into a CD/DVD drive. I put this fix into a now useless program I wrote years ago. Here's the code which shows the registry keys which had to be deleted for that fix:

metDelValNamIfExist("HKLM", @"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}", "UpperFilters");

metDelValNamIfExist("HKLM", @"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}", "LowerFilters");

metDelKeyIfExist("HKLM", @"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K");

metDelKeyIfExist("HKLM", @"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k");

metDelKeyIfExist("HKLM", @"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf");

metDelKeyIfExist("HKLM", @"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr");

Not sure if that's useful in this circumstance. As I recall the DC/DVD drive just didn't show up at all with this issue, and it is a very old issue, so take this with a grain of salt and if you try it, DEFINITELY back up first. It required a reboot before it took effect.

This reminds me of a very old issue where you had to delete the upper and lower filters plugged into a CD/DVD drive. I put this fix into a now useless program I wrote years ago. Here's the code which shows the registry keys which had to be deleted for that fix:

metDelValNamIfExist("HKLM", @"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}", "UpperFilters");

metDelValNamIfExist("HKLM", @"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}", "LowerFilters");

metDelKeyIfExist("HKLM", @"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K");

metDelKeyIfExist("HKLM", @"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k");

metDelKeyIfExist("HKLM", @"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf");

metDelKeyIfExist("HKLM", @"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr");

Not sure if that's useful in this circumstance. As I recall the DC/DVD drive just didn't show up at all with this issue, and it is a very old issue, so take this with a grain of salt and if you try it, DEFINITELY back up first. It required a reboot before it took effect.

This was the only advice I had to give as well, but he's already tried it.
  • Removed upper/lower filters in the registry

No worries, he actually posted that he'd tried it in the OP, so I actually didn't post because of that haha.

Curious if @Slaters Kustum Machines got it working with the help from that post on Sophos though!
I actually have a meeting with them tomorrow to discuss moving to a MSP plan so I will be onsite and will try the Sophos solution. I'll let you all know how it goes.

I was able to try the fix from the Sophos link above (basically install the Sophos Driver) and verify that it does solve the problem. You install the driver then disable/enable the optical drive in device manager. After that the optical drive is still available after a reboot.

Back