Hirens 13 - Now released

Hirens

Have been using hirens for awhile. Its a great addition to any diagnostic cd collection. Have never had to use UBCD4Win. Kon boot is probably my most used cd tho.

I have just recently started using Hirens and UBCD4Win. I really like UBCD4Win because you build it yourself and you can decide what you want on it. But both Hirens and UBCD4Win seem to put programs on there that will not work in that type of environment.

Since I started using these I haven't been using ERD Commandar/MSDaRT as much. But I still keep them around for the start up repair. I just wish you can modify them. (maybe you can and I just not know how)

Haven't tried Kon boot. I'll have to check that one out.

Kon boot

I think kon boot is actually on the hiren cd, forgot about that. It let's you log into a users account without changing or knowing the password. Use it all the time.

I think kon boot is actually on the hiren cd, forgot about that. It let's you log into a users account without changing or knowing the password. Use it all the time.

yep great tool. I used to use NT Offline until I learned that if the client has encrypted files on their system, and you make reg changes with NT the files are rendered permanently inaccessible. :eek:

Great tool I use everyday. alot of the stuff doesn't work in the mini-xp environment, but still useful diagnostic and recovery stuff in the DOS menus. I currently have it in a machine on the workbench that was Bluescreening checking for a rootkit with GMER as we speak!

If it is illegal pirated software, then one of the nationals I do some work for would be in trouble for telling their techs to use it.

It's my understanding that they are recoverable if you subsequently recall the correct password and change it to that. It would be interesting to see what effect resetting the password has on passwords stored in protected storage area, easily browsed with Nirsoft's psviewer. If none, something there may help the customer recall the password.

Back