[TIP] Easy way to block Windows update installing bad drivers

ell

Reaction score
Most of you already have used this but maybe some didn't know about it. I just thought I share this because I'm getting a few systems with win 10 1803 that are getting screen flicker and other issues from windows update installing bad video drivers, even after disabling driver installs from the options in windows update. Intel ones recently I'm getting on lenovos, uninstall and delete the driver from device manager, download this http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab and check the problem driver to hide from updates, sometimes you have to reboot and try it twice before it retrives the bad driver. The lenovo works,looks fine with the generic windows 10 video driver instead.

Most of you already have used this but maybe some didn't know about it. I just thought I share this because I'm getting a few systems with win 10 1803 that are getting screen flicker and other issues from windows update installing bad video drivers, even after disabling driver installs from the options in windows update. Intel ones recently I'm getting on lenovos, uninstall and delete the driver from device manager, download this http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab and check the problem driver to hide from updates, sometimes you have to reboot and try it twice before it retrives the bad driver. The lenovo works,looks fine with the generic windows 10 video driver instead.
Got a Lenovo Yoga in this week with screen flicker. I let the Lenovo driver update software install the correct drivers and that solved the problem pretty quickly.

The link you posted is specific to Windows 10?

Got a Lenovo Yoga in this week with screen flicker. I let the Lenovo driver update software install the correct drivers and that solved the problem pretty quickly.

The link you posted is specific to Windows 10?
no, I don't think so. Yup, that was the first thing I tried too with a thinkpad, but their intel driver was the problem, not compatible with win 1803 apparently, could only use the generic msft one. This thinkpad had two graphics chips, Intel HD and Nvidia, guess I could have just disabled the Intel.

Last edited:
OMG! She just called me & the damn thing is acting up again how do I stop Microsoft from installing this freaking driver! I guess I'm just going to have to disable the Intel chip completely and just run the nvidia

You can use Group Policy to block installation/update of drivers for specific devices. We have an embroidery client who uses Corel Draw a lot. There were issues with the newer versions of Radeon drivers that were causing Draw to absolutely crawl. We installed an older driver that worked well, and then put this policy in place to prevent the driver from updating. Worked great.

https://www.howtogeek.com/263851/how-to-prevent-windows-from-automatically-updating-specific-drivers

Edit: Doesn't seem like this post belongs in Tech Eyes Only. In fact I have a reminder that just popped up on my screen saying "The "Technicians Eyes Only" forum is strictly for sensitive topics that you don't want clients to potentially see. For example, talking about specific clients and their problems, price markups, supplier sources etc."

The first and only thing I do after a winblows 10 setup (for sure without any network connection using the hardware manufacture's DVD to install the neccessary drivers) is this:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=de&q=windows+10+avoid+driver+updates

If there is a special need to cheat a little bit with oosu10, I do that afterwards.
Then a reboot follows. And maybe then it's time to plug in the network cable. Maybe.

Edit: Doesn't seem like this post belongs in Tech Eyes Only. In fact I have a reminder that just popped up on my screen saying "The "Technicians Eyes Only" forum is strictly for sensitive topics that you don't want clients to potentially see. For example, talking about specific clients and their problems, price markups, supplier sources etc."

The thread has been moved to a more appropriate sub forum.

@ell can you please try and ensure that you start threads in the correct sub forum. there is no confidential information contained within this thread so I see no need to have it in teo.

thank you.

Hi, unfortunately windows has a habit of restoring the default setting forcing driver updates through windows updates, so after the feature update you have to reset this:-

Press the win + r keys together in the run box copy paste:-

Rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL Sysdm.cpl,,2 (press enter)

Select "Device Installation settings" put a check in NO.

This disables windows driver updates, it is recommended practice that you get your drivers from the manufacturers web site or the developers, many drivers are modified and need to be only updated this way, never use device manager to update non windows drivers.

Back