Dell Inspiron video drivers issue

tek9

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have a client's laptop here with display issues. Was working fine until last week or so when the client called that the display is all jumpy and she can't really see anything. Apparently a VGA driver update causes the display to go berserk.
What I've done until now:
Safe mode: works fine
System restore: no difference
Windows reset: works fine until it connects to the Internet to download the display drivers
Full clean windows install from USB stick. Same as above. Works fine with Microsoft display adapter until it installs the Intel 620 graphics drivers.
If I force shutdown the machine and boot it into safe mode, I can uninstall the display drivers and reboot the machine. Then it works until any display drivers get installed. I tried the latest and oldest from the Dell website. Tried the drivers directly from Intel. Tried via Snappy driver installer. Everything looks fine until the vga driver gets installed then it goes blank, even before the reboot. I disabled automatic driver updates so it would work fine if I didn't manually install the driver, but I don't want to use the basic Microsoft display driver since it's not getting the full resolution and some other Intel features.
It looks like the entire screen gets minimized to a small square at the top left corner, but some elements of the UI are still somewhat present on the full screen. Hard to explain. Whenever I click on something it starts getting all jumpy and somewhat like screen tearing. When booting the laptop everything looks fine up until it gets to the Windows login screen. External monitor is just as bad. I attached a picture of what I see on the external monitor. I also took a video of what it looks like when clicking, but it's too big to attach.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• image18.png
    image18.png
    369.3 KB · Views: 13
Forgot to mention I had done a BIOS update at the very beginning. I just reflashed the BIOS now (was the same one), and reset it to factory defaults but it didn't make a difference. Tried booting to a Linux distro but it wouldn't fully load, probably because it's too old. Was trying off one of my multiboot USBs, managed to choose the distro but it would hang at some PNP stuff.

Forgot to mention I had done a BIOS update at the very beginning. I just reflashed the BIOS now (was the same one), and reset it to factory defaults but it didn't make a difference. Tried booting to a Linux distro but it wouldn't fully load, probably because it's too old. Was trying off one of my multiboot USBs, managed to choose the distro but it would hang at some PNP stuff.
As above..

Sounds like you've got an oversized paper weight. Linux should load, you'd just have functionality missing if it was some kind of compatibility issue.

I just tried one more thing. I uninstalled the Intel drivers from Safe mode, downloaded the latest Displaylink drivers and rebooted, then connected to a USB docking station and installed the DisplayLink drivers for the dock, thinking that this should bypass the built in Intel drivers if they were the issue.
Well, it worked for a bit.
If the screens were mirrored it wouldn't work, but if I just displayed it on the external monitor connected to the dock, it would be mostly fine, except for some minor screen tearing. Then I lowered the refresh rate for the internal screen to 48hz (only choice was 60 or 48) and it seemed to help for the internal screen as well when set to extend the screens. Now I thought I had it solved, but after about 10 minutes and a reboot or two it went back to its original behavior :(
I'm out of ideas at this point. Paperweight it is, then....

What is the exact make and model number of the unit? I gather it is a Dell but not the exact model. Really hard to help with hardware issues when techs don’t provide that.

Back