DVDRW drive doesn't show in windows 10

Krynn72

Reaction score
Working on a Lenovo K210 desktop (originally came with Vista), running windows 10 home. It has a watermark in the bottom right saying the windows version plus "Test mode" and "Build 10586." Is that what they're calling the preview version these days? Not sure if its at all related to the issue, but im including it here to give as much info as I can.

The issue the customer brought it in for was that he couldnt burn disks anymore. I look into it and find that the DVD drive simply doesn't show up in windows at all. In device manager there is not even a section for "DVD/CD-ROM drive."

So I test the drive by booting from a Parted Magic DVD I have, and it works fine. I also test it in a Win 10 PE OS and it works fine.

I've tried the Tweaking AIO repair tool, SFC, DISM. Then I went to check the upper/lower filters and see that clearly the customer tried this one himself, as the run prompt had remembered his regedit entry and opened right up to the correct key for the filters. It looked like it was supposed to, so then I tried manually creating an entry for the drive in the registry, but no dice.

I then just swapped the drive with a known-working one just to see if it would recognize a different one but still, the issue persists.

The guy has a TON of software on here that he doesn't want to lose, do I'd like to avoid a N&P on this one, otherwise I would have done so a long time ago.

Pretty sure I had this happen on 2 customers computers. Try going to device manager and uninstall the DVD drive. Then reboot. See if that fixes it. I will try to think if it was something else that fixed it, but I'm pretty sure that's all I had to do. Good luck!

It has a watermark in the bottom right saying the windows version plus "Test mode" and "Build 10586." Is that what they're calling the preview version these days?
The test mode watermark may appear in the bottom right part of your Windows desktop, if you install an application whose drivers are not digitally signed by Microsoft and if they are still in the testing phase.

I recommend you to follow below steps to disable the test mode watermark and check if it helps.

1.Right click on Start, click on Command Prompt (Admin).

2.Type bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF and press Enter.
(The TESTSIGNING boot configuration option is disabled through the above BCD Edit command)

3.Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the system and check.

Reference:

How to disable the "Test mode" message that is displayed in Windows

I had a very similar issue with a laptops network card, it would only show up in windows if you pulled the power and held the power button down for 10 seconds, then on next start it would be available in windows until a shutdown / reboot.
It was fixes by messing around in the BIOS settings. Think it was something to do with legacy boot settings

Thanks Porthos, I will use that to get rid of it.
So I just tried uninstalling the IDE/ATAPI controllers from the device manager, and upon reboot windows reinstalled them and the DVD drive is back!

Back