Archon Prime

Reaction score
Cole's notes on this one.

Endpoint effected stats:

Windows 10 Home Premium Edition (Build 18363) (64-bit) (Release ID 1909) 64bit
Model: HP Slimline Desktop PC 270-a0xx
Processor: AMD A9-9430 RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G @ 3.20 GHz
Memory: 8GB RAM

I've done everything that I can think of. There must be something I'm missing. I have done most of the stuff I've found online, short of using the ISO and updating that way.

This is the last endpoint I have yet to get onto 2004 and it just won't take.
The initial errors in event viewer/software update screen were these:
0xc1900101 - primarily this one now.
0x80242016
0x8000FFFF

Last failed install attempt on ‎2020-‎07-‎24 - 0xc1900101
The 1900101 is the main error cropping up. Which indicates driver issues.

I found this on the MS site: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/resolution-procedures but I'm not sure where to locate the sub-error code for this. Ex. 0xC1900101 - "0x20004"

What's been done:
Disabled Emsisoft
ran troubleshooter with nothing found.
Cleared Microsoft store cache, cleared windows updates files,
restarted in safe mode with networking.
updated all chipset drivers and other drivers with SDIO successfully.
Checked the device manager for any issues - all devices/drivers working and accounted for.
Downloaded and ran the standalone update assistant for 2004 with same failure errors.

It goes through the whole installation process, and upon reboot, it will not trigger the completion of the installer, resulting in the above error code.

I had no issues with this machine with 1909, or even older feature updates until now.

Anything you guys can think of, or if you ran into something similar, tips would be of great help.

Seriously, the thing you said you haven't done, Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file, is the very first thing I'd try. And I'd intentionally try it without an internet connection at the time I'm doing it. Let it do any of the "trivial" updates that have occurred after the ISO you're using was built via the normal Windows Update process once an internet connection is established again.

There are a small horde of machines out there that cannot be updated to 2004 right now due to a TON of driver issues.

Why you're even attempting this is beyond me... leave it on 1909 and let it upgrade itself when the telemetry clears it.

There are a small horde of machines out there that cannot be updated to 2004 right now due to a TON of driver issues.

Why you're even attempting this is beyond me... leave it on 1909 and let it upgrade itself when the telemetry clears it.

It won't "upgrade itself." The fully automatic update is a thing of the past unless you allow a system to reach the point where the version of Windows 10 on it is going out of support officially. Then, and only then, will it update itself.

That being said, we are in complete agreement with regard to not updating until or unless you have, at the very least, been presented with the Download and install link for a given Feature Update in the Windows Update Pane of Update & Security Settings. This is the way that telemetry tells you that a given machine's hardware is deemed ready for a Feature Update by Microsoft.

I made the unwarranted assumption that this was already the case because it sounded like this was part of a collection of "hardware twins" that were being marched through the Feature Update. Looking more closely at the original post, that was a mistake.

It will when you click the link, and if the link isn't there telemetry says no. Now isn't the time to worry about this, Jan of next year is the time to worry about it.

If it's pro, the deferral window creates a hard timer for upgrade too, so my managed gear stays six months behind... and always six months behind.

Heck my desktop doesn't even report the update is even there yet... 2004 is screaming 1809 all over again... I'll bet we skip 2009 or whatever it is AGAIN because MS screwed this update up that bad again.

The 2004 feature update is available for this device. RMM was set to install it and I noticed the failure a few times through that. I'm not forcing it upon itself for shits and giggles here.

The 2004 feature update is available for this device. RMM was set to install it and I noticed the failure a few times through that. I'm not forcing it upon itself for shits and giggles here.

But if it's being problematic, then let it be. Turn off whatever it is that keeps being insistent about installing it on that specific box for the time being.

I say this again and again and again: Unless there is something in a given Feature Update that you NEED, NOW, there is absolutely no reason to rush to apply it.

As @Sky-Knight has said, on more than one occasion I have skipped over a feature update on certain machines because they were proving to be problematic and I simply didn't need anything that was in them. The machine I'm typing on came NOS with the original version (1507) of Windows 10 on it when shipped and I updated that at the time straight to 1803. Feature Updates don't build on one another, they replace whatever had been there wholesale. So it's perfectly fine to skip a Feature Update that's being cranky on a given machine if there's nothing in it that you NEED. [All of this presumes, of course, that you will eventually apply the next one, and it won't be problematic. If you keep having an issue getting any machine to apply a series of Feature Updates then that strongly suggests that a nuke and pave on that box with the latest version is indicated. That seldom becomes necessary.]

My update policy for windows 10 2004, is to let windows updates do it if it wants to else leave it on 1909. All new Desktops and laptops get installed with 1909 and then windows updates run, some try to install 2004 but fail, then windows updates does not try again. I take this to mean there is something it does not like driver wise (All drivers are uptodate) and I am not forcing it.

Back