Win11 Repair Install with fresh ISO fails with code 0xC1900101-0x30017. Potential fixes, anyone?

britechguy

Reaction score
This is actually on my own laptop (unsupported hardware) and it's working fine overall, I just wanted to do an early attempt in case when 23H2 comes along that this is the only way you can do a feature update.

The exact dialog box text is:
===
We couldn't install Windows 11
We've set your PC back to the way it was right before you started installing Windows 11

0xC1900101-0x30017
The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation
===

The Microsoft troubleshooting page for these errors says the following:
----
0xC1900101 0x20017

0xC1900101 0x30017
A driver has caused a problem.

Disable or remove all 3rd party antivirus or antispyware from your system. Disconnect all peripheral devices that are connected to the system, except for the mouse, keyboard and display.

Contact your hardware vendor to obtain updated device drivers.
----

The only thing I had connected at the time was a microSD card adapter with a card in it. I can definitely try again without it.

Windows Security is the only security suite/antivirus in use.

I've checked Device Manager and there are none of the yellow triangle with exclamation caution overlays present on any devices.

The system is kept constantly updated, and not just with Windows.

Any ideas of exactly what to check before the next attempt?

The only thing I had connected at the time was a microSD card adapter with a card in it. I can definitely try again without it.
I had problems with Win 11 on my unsupported hardware whenever I connected a media card reader. The reader with card were read fine on a Win 10 PC. The problem seems to have corrected itself over the past few weeks. Try without the card reader.

@Larry Sabo

Thanks. I'll kick this off again this evening when I head to the theater for opening night of the ShenanArts production of Doublewide, Texas. After much work designing lights and being stage manager, we finally get an audience!

That should give it plenty of time to succeed, or fail, by the time I get back.

Well, it continues failing with nothing attached and with a fresh ISO created via the MCT rather than direct download of the ISO from the Win11 download page.

I'll have to try again later after having disabled the media card in UEFI/BIOS at some point.

After trying *many* things in this (old) TechNet thread, the user found: "Three problems blocking the installation seemed to be the two display drivers (NVIDIA Quadro K1100M & Intel HD Graphics 4600) and the HP Accelerometer Program from HP." Perhaps getting latest display drivers from their providers and checking others with SDIO would help.

fresh ISO created via the MCT rather than direct download of the ISO from the Win11 download page.
Shouldn't you be using an install USB with registry modification to bypass the unsupported hardware issue? E.g. USB created by Rufus that can automatically remove hardware requirements.

USB created by Rufus that can automatically remove hardware requirements.

I actually did that first, but was not crystal clear about that. I created a Rufus version with TPM and another requirement moved for the first attempt and used the ISO you download directly from the Win11 page rather than create via the MCT. I didn't leap to the ISO until that had failed. I've fiddled with several things, but none have worked, and until 23H2 hits this is not a crisis, really (and may not be then, either).

I'll have to try again and make absolutely certain that I'm using that MCT created ISO but burned to Rufus created install media with those requirements neutered.

But if anyone has any suggestions beyond what have been offered previously, suggest away!

Just to complete the circle, I've tried everything and all attempts end with the noted code.

The last two attempts were with "Rufus neutered" install media (which is what I had used initially to do an in-place upgrade from Win10 to Win11) the first of which was with the choice to "download updates now" as part of the update, the second not. And before the second I re-burned the ISO to the thumb drive (with neutering) so that there was no chance that the first attempt might have had anything written to the thumb drive.

Win11_Customization_Choices.jpg

I'll be curious to see what happens when 23H2 comes out. If the update won't apply through Windows Update, and I can't apply it via an ISO based feature update, then I'm stuck.

Back