windows 10 customers still wanting to use IE 11

JoeTech

Reaction score
I have dealt with about 15 windows 10 pc's now and one of the major complaints seems to be they are not used to the new edge browser. They still think it is internet explorer though because of the blue "E" symbol.

Anyways is it better to try and switch them to chrome or firefox instead of just putting the IE11 shortcut back on there desktop? I don't know microsoft's plan on how much longer they are planning to support IE 11 so I figured this would be the best time to get them to switch browsers.

These are not customers that need to use IE11 for any specific reason, just that they don't like change and used to IE11.

Last edited:
For me its Firefox first then Chrome. I do have a client I will be calling to pick up today where her husband can only access a certain site with IE and they will have a short cut but the default will be Firefox.

I do not like or recommend Edge at this time.

I switch them to chrome. Used to like Firefox but since they started with Yahoo as their search provider, nope.

Who recommends IE to clients? Maybe businesses that rely on older web based stuff that HAVE to use it, but certainly not normal users. Recommending IE is like recommending clients downgrade to Windows 95. It's just not smart.

I have had a couple sites so far not work on my work PC using edge. Open ie11 and it works fine.

I always recommend Firefox over Chrome. 9/10 clients have Chrome installed when I service their computer but never even use it. It has just been bundled in there with Flash or an Ask toolbar lol. They are used to IE11.

I have one client that needs IE and that is just because the software they use in the Medical Field doesn't fully operate with Firefox or Chrome.

and they just upgraded to windows 10??? :confused:

These are also people that didn't fully realize what they were doing when upgrading to win 10. I don't want them using IE11 at all but customers old habits are hard to change. I have tried to show them how much better chrome with adblock plus is but it doesn't matter.

It seems the only way to get them to stay with edge or chrome / firefox is to lie & say IE11 is no longer available but i know they would eventually find it & then be mad & start using it again.

I guess this is more of a rant on how to get people finally off IE instead of a question now that I think more about it.

Last edited:
State that even MS didn't like their own product IE, so they upgraded it to Edge. Firefox when updated to latest version states about MS windows 10 and the benefits. Export their favourites from IE and import into FF if necessary, and just get to try and use FF

and they just upgraded to windows 10??? :confused:

I've got one of those right now. Went onsite last week to help a lady having issues using Win 7 and was told how much better things worked with XP and she couldn't figure out Win 7. Then she asked about upgrading to Win 10! Told her to wait 1-2 months to let others work out the kinks, plus she could start learning the differences so she'd be ready.

Calls me two days later and said she went ahead and did the update! All kinds of usability issues: can't find her IE favorites in Edge, her Bridge club website won't work in Edge, etc. Plus, she decided to upgrade to O365 and now can't use Excel as it's so much different than the 2003 version she used to use. etc, etc. All I could do was put my face on my desk and groan.

Oh well, going to make some $ over the next week or so.

I have had a couple sites so far not work on my work PC using edge. Open ie11 and it works fine.

My experience as well. I've also had it just close on me, mid-browse for no apparent reason. That's when I found out the old "Ctrl-Shift-T" trick with IE/Chrome/etc. doesn't work in edge. :mad:

These are also people that didn't fully realize what they were doing when upgrading to win 10. I don't want them using IE11 at all but customers old habits are hard to change. I have tried to show them how much better chrome with adblock plus is but it doesn't matter.

It seems the only way to get them to stay with edge or chrome / firefox is to lie & say IE11 is no longer available but i know they would eventually find it & then be mad & start using it again.

I guess this is more of a rant on how to get people finally off IE instead of a question now that I think more about it.

Other way is to google, find an IE icon file, then install chrome and right click, go to properites, then change the chrome icon to the IE one, and rename it Internet Explorer and don't tell them any different. Sneaky way, but they may get used to it and then realize that they like it. Not the best way of doing it, but an option and don't tell them differently.

I have dealt with about 15 windows 10 pc's now and one of the major complaints seems to be they are not used to the new edge browser. They still think it is internet explorer though because of the blue "E" symbol.

Anyways is it better to try and switch them to chrome or firefox instead of just putting the IE11 shortcut back on there desktop? I don't know microsoft's plan on how much longer they are planning to support IE 11 so I figured this would be the best time to get them to switch browsers.

These are not customers that need to use IE11 for any specific reason, just that they don't like change and used to IE11.

I'll go against the flow. If they really prefer IE11, then let them use IE11. Make the client happy. And IF at some point they encounter a problem they wouldn't have had with another browser, help them migrate while they can clearly see the benefits.

We as techs may (sometimes snobbily) prefer Chrome or Firefox or whatever - but for the the vast majority of folks IE works perfectly well and there aren't any tremendously critical reasons to force someone to change who doesn't wish to.

Windows 10 is different enough to challenge most folks - let them have their IE11 security blanket! :)

I'm with 'mraikes' on this one, if a customer wants IE11 let then use it. It's our job to advise a customer as to what we think is best...based on our professional opinion but it's up to the client to decide what he/she wants.
I used to be a big Chrome fan until they went to their 'always on' version and caused a lot of issues on clients machines (slow downs, chrome not opening etc) and now I defer to Firefox as an alternative to IE.

I'm with 'mraikes' on this one, if a customer wants IE11 let then use it. It's our job to advise a customer as to what we think is best...based on our professional opinion but it's up to the client to decide what he/she wants.

That's the dilema I always have. There is so much you can do to make there pc experience hundreds of times better and more secure just be using free programs, but I know they won't like it in the end. It just frustrates me how people can use things that are clearly inferior just because they don't want to take a few seconds to get used to something better.

So I mostly just do whatever makes them happy until they finally get tired of bringing it in every 6 months for a cleanup and are done learning the hard way.

UK techs. It appears Sky TV hadn't done their homework, and most of their services don't work with edge.

Sky email needs an "sfc" in order for it to work.

One of my customers relayed the following when they couldn't get "Sky Go" catchup TV.

Despite saying they had windows 10, they were advised to upgrade their browser to IE 11, and install Silverlight.

Doh !

I checked into the system by remote. IE was already version 11 and silverlight was already installed.

I just changed the default back to IE.

Way to go sky TV...... Muppets. [emoji35]

I used to be a big Chrome fan until they went to their 'always on' version and caused a lot of issues on clients machines (slow downs, chrome not opening etc) and now I defer to Firefox as an alternative to IE.
The chrome "always on" is fixable in advanced settings. I prefer Firefox as well.

Back