Win 11 updates keeps breaking things many customers switched to Mac or Linux

Galdorf

Reaction score
Wow i spend quite a bit of time downgrading win 11 machines to 10 many customers are getting mad that have win 11 every few updates they break something i end up downgrading that customer to win 10 or linux or they switch to Mac also i have switched all of my personal machines to linux don`t like where windows is going it is MUCH too bloated every year it gets more and more bloated.
Last update is causing MANY problems what good is the insider program when they release auto updates with this huge amount bugs being released seems microsoft is not listening to the users there was hundreds of posts about these problems.

I used to be almost all Linux and still run some Linux machines but I switched primarily to Windows when I started supporting customers. I needed to eat and breath what they did to understand some of the stuff they were experiencing. Each to their own though....

Meanwhile... Have plenty of Win11 in the field... still magically works. Also have even more Win10 in the field... it also magically works.

I'm not even going to bother watching that video, because it's obvious click bait and I'm now mentally classifying it and anything like it as propaganda / fake news.

There is however an annoying bug in Win11, if you use Onedrive to sync your desktop, the smaller file open common dialog gets locked into the desktop tree instead of the computer tree. I'm aware of that one... but few other actual show stoppers.

P.S. The User-centric Linux distributions are suffering from bloat even more so than Windows is. You might try looking at your own stuff objectively. Ubuntu is particularly bad, and everything that flows downstream of it is impacted as a result.

Last edited:
Meanwhile... Have plenty of Win11 in the field... still magically works. Also have even more Win10 in the field... it also magically works.

Amen. And anyone insane enough to do a flash switch from Windows to Mac, or vice versa, is just asking for a world of hurt. Neither transition is easy for a dyed in the wool user of "the other."

I'm old and crusty but probably 50% of Windows 11 problems could be nipped in the bud if they had a single upper-level manager that said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Like with dozens of compelling text editors freely available, Microsoft allowed Dev effort to rewrite Notepad! WTF! Why?

So many problems are caused by young and foolish developers who change things just for the sake of change. Rounded edges! New goofy icons. Throw out the baby with the bath water!

No wonder so many consumers have given up on computers and just use their phones.

No wonder so many consumers have given up on computers and just use their phones.

And these don't change with each iteration of Android or iOS?

Change for change's sake has been part and parcel of all computing platforms for as long as I've been in this business. There are huge differences, for instance, between the Android that was Froyo or Kit Kat and Android 13. And there were plenty of "take away then give back" steps there, too.

Fake news for sure. Over 600 managed machines and over 7000 past customers... nothing to report as far as Windows screwing up en mass.

I've not encountered any major issue with windows 11. I've been running it myself on 2 different machines since soon after release and got quite a few customers on it. I keep hearing about broken updates but i dont see them. I barely notice the bloat, but @Sky-Knight is correct, some linux distributions are getting quite bloated as well.
If its businesses changing, just like that, i'd be wary of their other business decisions! Lets hope they put some thought into it first.

My gripe with changing for change sake is the total inconsistency of it. There are programs or applets in Windows that still have the same GUI they did in Windows Xp, sometimes 95! People can complain about apple but the most of the style of the applications are consistent.

Google tends to be the king of this with Microsoft not even a close second.

Agreed, but Google's product lines where this has occurred (and continues to occur) tend to be in more "dynamic spaces" than much of what Microsoft does this for.

In the end, there seems to be a good amount of data out there that clearly suggests that novelty, in and of itself, and not necessarily substantive novelty, pushes sales. The smartphone world (iPhone, in particular) has a huge cult of people who simply must have the latest and greatest even if they don't use 95% of what's on their most recent "latest and greatest" and won't touch anything added to the new "latest and greatest."

Ooooh, Shiny! Syndrome writ large.

Because having a multi-tabbed version of Notepad is INCREDIBLY useful. That, alone, made the new version worth it.

Multi-tabbed file explorer! Sure!

Notepad? Meh. I've used Notepad++ for many years and will never go back to vanilla Notepad.

But my point is more to the constant changing of things like TCP/IP settings dialogs. The current Windows 11 dialogs are not an improvement. The whole concept of eliminating the Control Panel and its applets is poorly implemented.

If you want tablet-friendly then build a good tablet dialog. But if you're using a desktop then use appropriate UI elements for that space.

When you're trying to walk a customer through things and you can't explain the dialogs they might see then that's a problem that doesn't have to exist. And every version of Windows has unnecessary changes to routine things that didn't need to be changed.

Google tends to be the king of this with Microsoft not even a close second.
Hey now... be nice!

Everyone knows Google can't actually sustain a product long enough for it to change, they just drop it!

Also, the improvements to notepad mean nothing to me, I use VSCode as my text editor now. And VSCode is installed via winget, in powershell... never open notepad again!

I'm not even going to bother watching that video, because it's obvious click bait and I'm now mentally classifying it and anything like it as propaganda / fake news.

There is however an annoying bug in Win11, if you use Onedrive to sync your desktop, the smaller file open common dialog gets locked into the desktop tree instead of the computer tree. I'm aware of that one... but few other actual show stoppers.

P.S. The User-centric Linux distributions are suffering from bloat even more so than Windows is. You might try looking at your own stuff objectively. Ubuntu is particularly bad, and everything that flows downstream of it is impacted as a result.
I stopped using Ubuntu and switched to vanilla os when you install the desktop version it asks what you want to be installed before installation so you can install with nothing buy the desktop and file browser and software store.
I have tried running media server on windows 10 and 11 and found the performance horrible the linux file system is more robust and the os can transcode more videos at once with using less resources.

windows 11 is so horribly bloated it preformed worst of the 3 doing benchmarks on encoding video.

Vanilla os is very lightweight and you can use apt-flatpak or any others and everything is containerized it supports almost every distro as well from centos to redhat.

I have tried running media server on windows 10 and 11 and found the performance horrible the linux file system is more robust and the os can transcode more videos at once with using less resources.

windows 11 is so horribly bloated it preformed worst of the 3 doing benchmarks on encoding video.

Darlin', it seems the idea of "tool to task" eludes you. There's a reason that Linux has come to dominate data centers, and Windows continues to dominate the desktop.

Apples and oranges.

End users are not, not, not leaving Windows even as a trickle, let alone a flood. It just isn't happening.

My $0.02 contribution here
Resize Taskbar icons in Win11 :oops:
This appears to now be a billable service if a customer wants it done rather than just ticking a box as has always been until here.
Mess around in the registry just for that? 🤔
Seriously?

Back