Vivobook Camera line through icon

Velvis

Reaction score
Model Asus Vivobook M712D

Any app that uses the camera displays a camera icon with a line through it. I've run into this before on other computers and have fixed it doing one of the following:

Device manager remove camera, rescan hardware
Windows updates
Camera security settings (allow apps to access it)
Uninstall security software
Download driver directly from manufacturer
Roll back driver
Use function key (f10) to enable camera

I have tried all this (there was no security software on this machine) but the camera still won't display anything but the icon with the line through it.

Any other suggestions?

Yes, if this system is running Windows 11.

Windows 11 supports what's called a Secure Mode where the camera and microphone(s) are disabled. There should be an icon in the system tray (possibly overflow area) that indicates whether it's on or off and it looks like a shield with a key hole in the middle. That being said, on some machines this does not show up.

It's also generally shown as a function of the F4 key, with an icon that matches what should show up on the system tray.

If you don't have this icon in the system tray, I suggest you open up Settings, Bluetooth and Devices, Cameras then looking at whether your camera is even listed there. If it's not, try hitting Fn + F4 and see if it suddenly appears and that camera icon suddenly comes to life. If Fn + F4 doesn't work, then give naked F4 a try.

It's possible that the Secure Mode function may be associated with a different function key, but I do know the shield with key hole icon is consistent, so look for that.

Yes, if this system is running Windows 11.

Windows 11 supports what's called a Secure Mode where the camera and microphone(s) are disabled. There should be an icon in the system tray (possibly overflow area) that indicates whether it's on or off and it looks like a shield with a key hole in the middle. That being said, on some machines this does not show up.

It's also generally shown as a function of the F4 key, with an icon that matches what should show up on the system tray.

If you don't have this icon in the system tray, I suggest you open up Settings, Bluetooth and Devices, Cameras then looking at whether your camera is even listed there. If it's not, try hitting Fn + F4 and see if it suddenly appears and that camera icon suddenly comes to life. If Fn + F4 doesn't work, then give naked F4 a try.

It's possible that the Secure Mode function may be associated with a different function key, but I do know the shield with key hole icon is consistent, so look for that.
Thank you for the help. While looking at the function keys I noticed that over the number pad revealed a button that looks exactly like the camera icon with the line through it. Pressing it enables/disables the camera.
Next to that key is a windows start menu icon and a padlock which I assume is what you were talking about.

Again thank you!

Just FYI, here's the function key row on my laptop. The Secure Mode Icon I was referring to can be seen next to F4 on that key:

LG_Gram_Function_Key_Row.jpg

Back