Brother MFC-L3745CDW - Network Scanning, not

Rigo

Reaction score
Fortunately this is a personal problem, not a client's.
My main computer which I just can't afford to reset due to years of tweaks and the utilities installed, one day decided to give me grief with working with the scanning component of the MFC.
Uninstall, scrab, re-install / multiple times - no joy.
Even had a session with Brother support over the phone, the problem still stands.
I can print to it no problem.
I can network scan from some of my other computers. So the MFC is not the problem but some kind of conflict/block in this particular computer messing up access to the scanner. And I just don't want to contemplate a nuke 'n pave, not this particular computer.
Access is through wireless connection.
Restarted the gateway, changed the MFC IP, set up static IP, etc.
Windows defender as internet security package, couldn't see anything abnormally looking in the firewall settings. Unless I missed something.
Connected through USB and that worked but inconvenient due to the placement of the device at the other end of the room.

1688988531588.png
The device is on and online, but something is making the scanner inaccessible.
Grateful for any insight.

A potential workaround is to use the Microsoft Fax & Scan utility which you can find on the Microsoft Store. I just recently had a similar problem and the Microsoft utility had no problem connecting.

Make sure the network profile on pc is set to "Private" and not public.
This ^^.
I had a similar problem recently with a SMB that could do all you stated except scan from their personal laptop. Turned out it was the Firewall Profile set to "public" and once set to private; worked as normal.

I really wish that Microsoft would finally start asking, when a network is originally set up, whether you want it to be Private versus Public. I'd be perfectly happy if the default choice were Public, but being reminded that that's what it will be if you don't choose Private would be immensely helpful.

It is so darned easy to forget that all networks default to Public, and it causes crap like this that often "automagically" disappears when the network is designated Private.

This actually inspired me to create feedback for MS: When first connection to any network (WiFi or Ethernet) is established, the user should be prompted to choose Private vs. Public. Anyone who feels similarly should upvote, comment, or both.

@britechguy They do, but only on the first connection... and only if you don't miss the notification. There ARE far too many IF's here... I will give you that.

Having that firewall default to lockdown in private mode has solved many more problems than it causes honestly... I'm hot ready to go back to the days of Windows XP and blaster.

The thing is that scanning works fine from other PCs on the LAN. Makes me think problem is at this PC only level

1689057010781.png

They do, but only on the first connection... and only if you don't miss the notification.

I beg to differ. And I've been setting up many recent WiFi connections, in particular. You are not asked, and the network defaults to public.

You'll notice that I did NOT say that the default should not be public, but if there is a clear, "Do you want this network to be private or public?," question (where default is public) it's next to impossible to not know what you've got.

I beg to differ. And I've been setting up many recent WiFi connections, in particular. You are not asked, and the network defaults to public.

You'll notice that I did NOT say that the default should not be public, but if there is a clear, "Do you want this network to be private or public?," question (where default is public) it's next to impossible to not know what you've got.
I've seen this too. I've setup quite a few new machines over the past few months. Not one of them asked if they were to be public or private. I remember in the past that you used to get a blue vertical bar on the right hand side of the screen that would ask a yes or no question regarding the network but I haven't been seeing it lately.
Just last week I setup a new laptop for my wife on our home network. When I got ready to install the printer I had to go set the network to private as I never got any kind of prompt when initially connecting it to our home wifi.

Another vote for Microsofts native scan tool....

How is the network configured as far as wifi? Same network as the wired network? Or...is there some wireless router hanging on the network in NAT mode making a wireless network on a separate IP range? We really avoid trying to support wireless printers for clients. Frequent headaches, too many things can frequently cause it to stop working.

Back