Blink Camera Systems - Do Not Buy!

PcTek9

Reaction score
Falling onto the blink bandwagon seemed like a good idea to replace my outdated security camera system. So I went to amazon and bought 7 cameras with 2 sync modules and mounting brackets. At first it all worked for a few days, then the problems started. This camera security system disconnects, sometimes for days, and you can't access it. It goes offline seemingly at random and stays offline. You can reset your router, your wireless access points, all to no avail. So I started researching on the web if other people were having similar issues and found thousands of angry customers all experiencing the exact same issues. It's on reddit, on websites, it's everywhere.... Blink customers are angry and they have good reason to be. This camera system is more unstable than charles manson on rollerskates. The system has more bugs than a $20 dollar a night hotel room. That's with the latest firmware from blink, all cameras and syncmodules updated and yet... nothing... To make matters worse blink technical support is the equivalent of a no-nothing-joe stuck into an answer-the-phone job. My opinion, don't waste your money. A STRONG DO NOT BUY on BLINK CAMERA security systems. They need a complete redesign from the ground up. The sync module 2 is complete junk. It can't communicate with a router 5 feet away reliably. I'm so disappointed with amazon. As you guys know, I have multiple degrees in applied computer science, and have been a technibble member for over a decade. I'm not a noob at tech by any stretch of the imagination. So definitely do not rely on blink for any business installs and certainly not for your home security. It is complete worthless junk.

I started with the Kasa from TP Link. Working well but would hold off for a bit. They seem to have two competing brands, Kasa and Tapo so I don't know if they will phase one out. They say they won't but we have all heard that song before.

Wireless cameras? Yuck. Hardwire all the things.

Hmmm... Not an option in many places (stone walls, out buildings, etc.). Running cable in old residential is difficult. I use a mix of cheap IP cameras at home (Sricam, Foscam, etc.) and Blue Iris software (+1). Been running 10+ years without a hitch. I wish some of the old cameras would die so I can upgrade them with newer ones with better resolution but as long as they work reliably I haven't been too anxious to replace them.

I have worked with Zmodo for a customer, also an IP camera system, but it's only operable through their online admin system. She had problems with cameras just disappearing.

Back