Retirement if Internet Explorer 11 related to QuickBooks and in general

timeshifter

Reaction score
We all know that Internet Explorer 11 is being phased out and I'd be 99% of us and our clients don't use it as a browser and haven't for a very long time. But last week and today I've been getting several inquiries about it.

One was a user who was paying attention to notices from Microsoft and was worried about it. To the best of my knowledge and Google-fu it seems there's nothing for us to do. She wasn't using it. And the guidance I found said not to uninstall it and / or you can't really uninstall it. So I guess you just wait for new updates to Windows to do it's thing and disable it or whatever.

Today I've had two calls from QuickBooks users one with a message that says "Potential security risk due to end of support for your QuickBooks browser". Which boils down to this https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn...browser-quickbooks-desktop/L9SHv9tsf_US_en_US

This user just got a new upgrade to QuickBooks a month or so ago, went from 2019 to 2021. You'd think QuickBooks would have delivered code a while ago that didn't rely on IE 11, but then again it's QuickBooks.

So, my main question: will it quit working if we don't apply the minor update they're asking for?

Is there any other general fixes we need to make for our clients (other than Windows updates) to manage the retirement of IE 11?

All I can say for certain is that Chrome Legacy, which was created to handle IE11 only sites with some grace, is transitioning to MS-Edge in IE mode.

Once IE is gone, and that will be soon, that's going to be the only option.

Quickbooks Desktop relies on "components" of Internet Exploader to run. I have not UNinstalled IE on any of my rigs to test if it can launch or not, but I've read some of Intuits notices regarding this. And a few other articles here 'n there. I know you don't look at Quickbooks through IE, but...Quickbooks relies on certain IE components/code...to run, perhaps some of the view panes inside the windows.

What Intuit stated...was that they're releasing their own browser in the next update release, to take over the job of IE, and Intuit will handle the security updates to that browser. I suspect they took the base code of IE (mosaic?) and ran with it to come up with their own imitation of IE...suppose with the components under the hood to keep Quickbooks desktop happy.

From what I understand (could be wrong)...you don't need to go out and buy QB 2022...it's the online updates you do in your existing QB version that will pull down these IE clone updates so that QB desktop still thinks IE is installed and can run. I'm not sure how far back in versions these updates will go...I recall 2019.

you don't need to go out and buy QB 2022...it's the online updates you do in your existing QB version that will pull down these IE clone updates so that QB desktop still thinks IE is installed and can run
That's my understanding as well. Seems like a minor point release. Really wondering what happens if you don't do that update prior to June 15th.

From what I understand (could be wrong)...you don't need to go out and buy QB 2022...it's the online updates you do in your existing QB version that will pull down these IE clone updates so that QB desktop still thinks IE is installed and can run. I'm not sure how far back in versions these updates will go...I recall 2019.

I'm bracing myself for an onslaught of calls from the various solopreneurs I have out there still chugging along with Quickbooks 2011 - haha.

From what I remember about QB is that Intuit will provide updates as long as it's a supported version. After 3 years looks like the party is over. But they should be able to run, just never ending nags.

I'm bracing myself for an onslaught of calls from the various solopreneurs I have out there still chugging along with Quickbooks 2011 - haha.
Finally got rid of the last of those in 2020.

I'm still using QB 2017, I guess I'll find out in a day or two if it's busted or not.

But seriously Intuit can kiss my rear, I'm not forking over $550 a year for this garbage.

Last edited:
I believe it was/is the Active-X component of IE that QB used that is not available in modern browsers due to the security issues.

Assuming I have to upgrade, because things break... The replacement for Quickbooks Pro, is now called Quickbooks Desktop Pro Plus.

MSRP for this product is $350 / year, with $200 / user for extra users up to a max of 5 users.

BUT this product is also available via retail distribution. If you get it there, you can get a single seat for $250, and an extra user cost of $100.

So... if I buy this: https://www.amazon.com/QuickBooks-Accounting-Software-Business-Subscription/dp/B09J9GGSFH

I'm out $350, but get signed up for a $550 renewal next year... which I then have to call support to have the auto-renewal canceled so I can buy the retail box set again next year and keep going.

So I told the lady... assuming my Desktop 2017 breaks in this current mess because you people waited until the 9th inning to fix your crap... I'm going to buy the above from AMAZON because it's cheaper there AND I'll never renew again. I'm moving to Akaunting, which I can slap on a linux VPS anywhere for pennies and never pay a cent until I need support. And even if I wanted FULL ON SUPPORT for my installation... which supports UNLIMITED USERS plus hosting fees I'm out vastly less money.

1 year of two users of Quickbooks Pro Plus at MSRP is about the same money as the Action Pack from Microsoft for crying out loud... but provides a fraction of the return. Intuit can kiss my rear, I'm so done with them.

So they asked me to do the update for them. They're on 2021 QuickBooks. Today is Wednesday and they got the critical alert on Monday. Looks like it may have already been done in the background. Current version is v31.0.4010.0. When I check for updates there is nothing new to download. Once signed into the QB company file there's a message at the top of the Home window "This website wants to run the following add-on: 'HTMLHelper Module' from 'Intuit, Inc.'. If you trust the website and the add-on and want to allow it to run, click here..."

Then I get a security warning "Do you want to run this ActiveX control" and I click run. Actually have to do it twice. The bar goes away and all is well apparently.

So I'm presuming that the update includes their own IE like implementation and it's now handling ActiveX controls (yuk) on it's own and they've stopped depending on IE components in the operating system.

Back