Quickbooks file association crashes file explorer when howvering.

Reaction score
We have one workstation in a CPA office where hovering over a quickbooks file cause explorer to crash and reset. So peculier. We open a folder where the qb files are stored no matter where, local or network share and if you hover over the .qbw .qbx. what ever file you will see the cursor start a blue circle and it crashes the window. I have yet to try an uninstall and reinstall yet, and I don't know if QB can be repaired in programs and features. I spoke to Intuit and they haven't seen this yet.

And if you go to "defaults"....default apps by file type....scroll way down to the .QB* files....do they show Quickbooks or Quickbooks Launcher?

Yes Quickbooks can have a "repair" install done in APPWIZ.CPL
Also, could grab the serial and product numbers...uninstall it, download from Intuit and do a fresh install.

Current version of Windows 10?

And if you go to "defaults"....default apps by file type....scroll way down to the .QB* files....do they show Quickbooks or Quickbooks Launcher?

Yes Quickbooks can have a "repair" install done in APPWIZ.CPL
Also, could grab the serial and product numbers...uninstall it, download from Intuit and do a fresh install.

Current version of Windows 10?
Yes, only shows applauncher... I tried the repair to no avail. I am over thinking this just going to do a nuke and pave. They have QB pro accounts so I have access to the serial and such.

That's a tough one ... like trying to find a needle in a haystack with no relevant information being generated to troubleshoot the issue. I'm with the others ... don't even bother with a repair install just remove it, reboot, then reinstall. You won't be saving yourself much time by doing a repair install especially if it doesn't work. You'll just be back to removing it and reinstalling it anyways.

I'd be interested to see if explorer still crashes while hovering over the QBW file while Quickbooks is uninstalled. That should be pretty telling as to whether it's an OS issue or a QB issue.

In situations like this obviously doing a N&P on this computer is overkill but might be the only option. Then at that point the labor in doing that and then bringing back an old computer to do a full setup could be just a waste of time & money that may be better spent into a new system.

As a last resort in situations like these, before we get into N&P territory I will try to bump up the OS to hopefully give everything a fresh overhaul i.e. doing an in place upgrade to Windows 11. I used to do this with systems that were lagging behind and still on Windows 7 and experiencing strange issues like this one. Sometimes the last resort of upgrading to W10 fixed weird issues like this.

It's clear M$ wants everyone on 11 so eventually they will have to upgrade anyways. Worst case is you could always roll back to 10 and continue digging for your answer. Of course ideally would be to image the drive before you do this but ya gatta do what you gatta do.

Not sure if you resolved this or not, but here is what is going on. Quickbooks 2022 Release 5 causes the crash. I have a PC that I had 16-20 QB Accountants on:
Installed 2021, checked no issue
Updated 2021 to latest version, checked no issue
Installed 2022 R1, checked no issue
Updated 2022 to R5, crashes explorer (eventvwr shows ntdll.dll causes)
Uninstalled 2022
Installed 2022 R3, checked and can hover, and right click on QBX files

Not sure if you resolved this or not, but here is what is going on. Quickbooks 2022 Release 5 causes the crash. I have a PC that I had 16-20 QB Accountants on:
Installed 2021, checked no issue
Updated 2021 to latest version, checked no issue
Installed 2022 R1, checked no issue
Updated 2022 to R5, crashes explorer (eventvwr shows ntdll.dll causes)
Uninstalled 2022
Installed 2022 R3, checked and can hover, and right click on QBX files
Where did you get the download for the R3 installer? I can't find it anywhere and QB support stated the application cannot be reverted. I will sing your praises in the mead hall if you can resolve this issue for me.

Last edited:
Back