[SOLVED] Quickbooks Pro 2018 Issue

wfc4life

Reaction score
I have a client running Quickbooks Pro 2018 on a Windows 10 64 bit, build 1803 computer. Two users access the company data file using multi-user mode which resides (and is shared) from the Office Manager's computer, which is exactly the same make/model computer as the Front Office computer where the issue resides. The Office Manager has no problem opening and accessing the Quickbooks company file. When the Front Office user attempts to access the file she keeps getting this error message listed below after entering her user name and password. This setup has successfully been in place for over a year, and there had been no updates to the operating system since 6/21. Everything worked fine the previous day.

I checked the hard drive for errors, no problem. I turned off the UAC, restarted the PC, and the issue persists. When I open up File Explorer I can easily navigate to the company data file. When I try to open the company file via Quickbooks it doesn't see any of the shared drives, including the one the company file resides in. I tried opening the company file directly, and I get the same error message. I performed a system restore to yesterday, and a message popped up saying it had not been successful. I'm seeing this type of message more and more, however many times the attempted restore does fix the issue. Not this time however.

I also verified all the Quickbooks and Windows 10 security/share settings on the Office Manager computer matched the recommended Intuit settings via their website. The issue still persists.

I'm hoping someone has an idea or recommendation on what to do next. Other than get Quickbooks tech support involved, I'm out of ideas.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• Quickbooks.png
    Quickbooks.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 18
SO if the one user can access it on the same computer, and the second computer can't It almost seems like a sharing / permissions issue? Are you sure the sharing is set properly?
I agree with your logic, and really felt that is where the problem was. I went to this Intuit Community web page, and verified everything matched, but the problem remains.

Can she access the share from her pc outside of QB?

This will help determine if it is a share problem or a problem with QB

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Can she access the share from her pc outside of QB?

This will help determine if it is a share problem or a problem with QB

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Yes, there is no issue accessing any of the share drives directly via File Explorer. QB doesn't see the shared drive if trying to open the company file manually.

I tried opening the company file directly, and I get the same error message.

What do you mean by directly? Do you mean you browsed to the file in the share and opened from there? Or do you mean you copied the file to the workstation and opened it from there? If you didn't, I would copy it to that workstation and see if QB can open it.

Also have you tried copying files to the share or manipulating files in the share from the problem computer to verify you have proper access?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling QB on the problem computer?

Usually, when I get strange errors like this I just run the QB Database Server Manager, and click start scan, it does stuff and fixes the hosting environment. No questionable 3rd party tools required.

Another thing to remember, is the use of mapped drives in Quickbooks isn't actually supported. So when you hit file -> open, just put the UNC path in the file name box and press enter. It should navigate to the folder, so you can select the file and open from there. Yes, sometimes the UI doesn't give you the GUI way to open those folders... that's why I just paste the path into the filename box and press enter.

If THAT doesn't work, this isn't a Quickbooks issue, the file open window is known as the common dialogue control and is part of the VB Run times, it's a core component of windows. If it's damaged, Windows 10 is hosed, fresh install is the only fix I'm aware of.

What do you mean by directly? Do you mean you browsed to the file in the share and opened from there? Or do you mean you copied the file to the workstation and opened it from there? If you didn't, I would copy it to that workstation and see if QB can open it.

Also have you tried copying files to the share or manipulating files in the share from the problem computer to verify you have proper access?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling QB on the problem computer?
By directly, I meant browsing to the file in the share, right clicking the company file, and choosing open with QuickBooks. I haven’t performed the other things you recommended. I’ll give them a try. Thanks for the advise.

Usually, when I get strange errors like this I just run the QB Database Server Manager, and click start scan, it does stuff and fixes the hosting environment. No questionable 3rd party tools required.

Another thing to remember, is the use of mapped drives in Quickbooks isn't actually supported. So when you hit file -> open, just put the UNC path in the file name box and press enter. It should navigate to the folder, so you can select the file and open from there. Yes, sometimes the UI doesn't give you the GUI way to open those folders... that's why I just paste the path into the filename box and press enter.

If THAT doesn't work, this isn't a Quickbooks issue, the file open window is known as the common dialogue control and is part of the VB Run times, it's a core component of windows. If it's damaged, Windows 10 is hosed, fresh install is the only fix I'm aware of.
Thanks for this information. I wasn’t aware of the UNC situation with a shared company file. Do you recommend running the QB Database Server Manager on the client or host computer, or both?

Thanks everyone for the great feedback you provided. The client just called me, and advised me she fixed the issue herself! She kept hitting the OK option on the initial error message 20+ times -> then she had to send an error message to Intuit -> this displayed a new error message -> after clicking OK -> she updated QB -> and finally updated employees payroll (it’s weird because she doesn’t use it). Issue resolved. Glad the issue is resolved, however the owner isn’t happy I couldn’t resolve it right away. I may lose the client. Just another day in the life of an IT guy.

When I was researching that error I saw multiple references to people clicking the OK button multiple times to get past it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 9 while driv ik gndjfhd

When I was researching that error I saw multiple references to people clicking the OK button multiple times to get past it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 9 while driv ik gndjfhd
Wish I had been so lucky. I’m recovering from shoulder surgery. I guess my search capability has been impacted.

Software errors are tough. Some clients expect us to know every software that was ever written, and every obscure error message. I fired a client last year because of this. She (attorney, what else) kept insisting my work should be free because she still had problems with some out-of-license practice management software. I told her multiple times I didn't know the software and she would have to pony up the $ to buy the current version so she would have support, but unfortunately for me, poking around a bit and Googling actually fixed the problem. Once. After that, it was all my fault. I was nice the first couple of times, but when it kept happening and she kept insisting on free support, I wrote her a letter suggesting she find someone else and blocked her number. Every time I drive by her office, my blood pressure goes up a little. :)

Software errors are tough. Some clients expect us to know every software that was ever written, and every obscure error message. I fired a client last year because of this. She (attorney, what else) kept insisting my work should be free because she still had problems with some out-of-license practice management software. I told her multiple times I didn't know the software and she would have to pony up the $ to buy the current version so she would have support, but unfortunately for me, poking around a bit and Googling actually fixed the problem. Once. After that, it was all my fault. I was nice the first couple of times, but when it kept happening and she kept insisting on free support, I wrote her a letter suggesting she find someone else and blocked her number. Every time I drive by her office, my blood pressure goes up a little. :)
Thanks for putting things in perspective. Some times it’s better to “fire” the client. Time will tell if that’s what happens here.

Thanks for this information. I wasn’t aware of the UNC situation with a shared company file. Do you recommend running the QB Database Server Manager on the client or host computer, or both?

I'm glad she got it sorted, but to answer your question the QB Database Server Manager only comes with the QB Server components, those should only be installed on the system that's hosting the data file, to save confusion.

Here are a couple of ways to resolve this error:
  • Run as Administrator
  • Update Windows Permissions
To run as Administrator:
  • Go to the Windows Start menu and search QuickBooks.
  • Right-click on the QuickBooks version and year you're using.
  • Select Run as administrator.
  • After that, close QuickBooks and reopen it.
If you're still having the error message, proceed in updating your Windows Permissions:
  1. Go to your Windows Start menu and search File Explorer, then open it.
  2. Find your QuickBooks program file, right-click your QuickBooks program (QBW32.EXE) file and select Properties.
  3. Select Security, then Edit and Add. This is to set Everyone.
  4. In the Security window, select the checkbox for Full control and then select OK.
  5. Select Add again. In the window, type in "Users" and then select OK.
  6. In the Security window, select the checkbox for Full control and then select OK.
  7. When you're ready, select Apply and then select OK to close your settings.

Back