Pulling documents off a Mac Drive?

Velvis

Reaction score
I removed a MacBook Pro SSD from a dead Mac (the hard drive is fine) and installed it in an external case and mounted it in Windows using Paragon.
Technically it works fine. I am not super well versed in the MacOS, so I am not sure if I am getting all the data needed of the drive. (photos, documents, music, etc.)

Is there a way to identify all the folders needed? or is it more digging around to find it?

I do have another old Mac I could plug the drive into. Is there software on MacOS that would be better suited for data recovery?

Thanks!

Just like on a PC where you'd find everything under c:\users\velvis\... on a Mac you should be able to find everything under /Macintosh HD/Users/Velvis/Documents and /Macintosh HD/Users/Velvis/Desktop and /Macintosh HD/Users/Velvis/Pictures

I've not used Paragon for something like this. But my personal preference is to always use the platform that is native to the patient drive. So I'd go with the old Mac to start. Also I'd make a copy and work off of the copy. Nothing worse than having the patient die on the operating table.

the photo library is in the "~/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Masters/", and the rest of the information should be on the users folder.
It is important to know if the information you are recovering is going to be accessed on a Mac computer or windows computer, because If it is on a MacOS system then you don't need to worry about accessing the information with any software, just have the customer bring you the new computer and use "migration assistant" and you will be fine as long as the new Mac computer is on the same macOS or newer.
If it is for use in a windows computer then you need to extract the fotos on the "masters" folder and inform the customer that all the metadata will be lost and the photos probably won't be in the same order as they were on the photos app

Back