Laptop Battery Refurbishing?

@Blues

So far as I know, it remains possible to activate a fresh Win10 install with a Win7, 8, or 8.1 product key (whether from a previously existing instance of any one of those three versions of Windows, or a fresh, unused license key for any of them that you might "have stashed in a drawer somewhere.")

But, just like it is when you do an in-place upgrade, that license key then becomes valid only for Windows 10. You can't have another machine running Windows 7 with that same license key (well, in reality you can, but it's not permitted by the EULA). I don't know why Microsoft has license servers that don't seem to actually do much of anything with regard to enforcing actual license terms. It's gotten so that it is, for all practical intents and purposes, "the honor system" when it comes to Windows itself.

@ThatPlace928 I mean when doing a fresh install to a blank drive not on top of an existing install.
If you're doing a fresh install to a blank drive, wouldn't you already have a key for the install, whether it came with the install disk or you bought one? Maybe I'm not understanding your initial question?

Or are you asking if a Windows 7 key that's never been used or registered can be used on a fresh install of Windows 10? If that's the question, I've never tried it so I don't really know if it would work or not.

Or are you asking if a Windows 7 key that's never been used or registered can be used on a fresh install of Windows 10? If that's the question, I've never tried it so I don't really know if it would work or not.
As long the right version (home/pro) is selected. Just have tp use the option to not enter the key during setup and activate it after Windows is loaded.

As long the right version (home/pro) is selected. Just have tp use the option to not enter the key during setup and activate it after Windows is loaded.
That's what I do but there's another option that sometimes works to activate at install. Select "I don't have a key" [or whatever the verbiage is] and it will self-activate, as long as it's a valid key. You'll know if it did or not, when you check system information through the Control Panel.

If you need the original license key prior to install, this is the command to use at the prompt:

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

I've watched others use this command with great success but I have never had any success, myself. :p

@britechguy summed up my understanding and any gaps I had in it.

You can build the Windows 10 install media w/o a Windows 10 license so you can theoretically install Windows 10 w/o buying it or already having it but the activation side of it because the gray area in terms of legality, morality, and even functionality at times.

There may be times when perhaps the product key is missing (Failed Motherboard Tattoo for HP, or OA3 key missing after Warranty repair) or non legible (key worn off if laptop).....

In those cases unless you previously upgraded to 10 you are out of luck.

In any other case, you can always use the key. For embedded keys there are a bunch of third party tools that grab the keys these days. Works a treat.

Back