Laptop Battery Refurbishing?

It certainly wasn't my intention to mock or ridicule you, and if I've done that then I apologise.

You sound as if you'll fit in nicely.
Apology accepted and thank you. I love this forum and have done a lot of reading, so far. I will only ask questions that I seriously seek an answer to and I'm sure I'll have more down the road. I did a search and there was no thread on this so I asked the question. I'm sure there are others who considered doing the same thing but may have thought it a stupid question. IMO, no question is stupid, since we can all learn from the various answers we get when we actually participate in the discussion. (y)

and there's quite literally nothing I don't want to know
"Knowledge is power."
I have always been a tinkerer, which led me to computer repair and my life as a tech.
But aside from that I'm into all kinds of things from conspiracy theory to music history and history in general, to Science and space etc.
Your brain is a vast storehouse that you could never fill.

"Knowledge is power."
I have always been a tinkerer, which led me to computer repair and my life as a tech.
But aside from that I'm into all kinds of things from conspiracy theory to music history and history in general, to Science and space etc.
Your brain is a vast storehouse that you could never fill.
I couldn't agree more. I like a variety of subjects and love hands on experience. I've been a knowledge hound since at least the age of 4, when I used to make my dad tell me what all the writing was on the backs of cereal boxes. He was very good at pointing to each word, pronouncing it, and making me spell it.... a very patient man, thank goodness. In my quest for knowledge, I've been unstoppable............ lol

Reactions: GTP
Any laptop battery that you can no longer find is probably for a dinosaur of a machine

Many of which work great with Linux, many years after they've become useless with Windoze. Not really a great solution for most customers, but perfect for my own machines.

Many of which work great with Linux, many years after they've become useless with Windoze. Not really a great solution for most customers, but perfect for my own machines.
Are you saying the older machines work great with Linux? I'm not quite understanding what you said. Sorry, maybe it's just morning brain for me.... lol

@ThatPlace928

I'm not @backwoodsman, but that's how I read what he's saying. It's well known that many Linux distros, and particularly the small ones like Puppy Linux, DSL (Damn Small Linux), and their relatives work incredibly well on absolutely ancient hardware. Even some of the "medium-sized" and more full-featured ones run very slickly on older hardware.

• Love
Reactions: GTP
@ThatPlace928

I'm not @backwoodsman, but that's how I read what he's saying. It's well known that many Linux distros, and particularly the small ones like Puppy Linux, DSL (Damn Small Linux), and their relatives work incredibly well on absolutely ancient hardware. Even some of the "medium-sized" and more full-featured ones run very slickly on older hardware.
That's nice to know. I'm not a Linux person and will do a fresh install of Windows 10 over any hard drive that has Linux on it. Maybe down the road..... :)

will do a fresh install of Windows 10 over any hard drive that has Linux on it.

The only problem with that is it only works (at least legally) if the hardware either originally came with Windows 10 or was legally upgraded to it from Windows 7, 8, or 8.1.

Linux will run on hardware that predates the Windows 7 era, and I have no idea, these days, what would even happen were you to try a N&P with Win10 on something that old.

With both Windows 10 and 11, you really do need historical information about the hardware before you can be certain that an N&P is appropriate on it and will work on it.

Interesting I'm curious what this means for existing USB Floppy drives as the little article is a bit vague on to what degree support is ending. It sounds like the driver will exist but further development is ending and it suggest USB floppy drives may be a different matter entirely. I am not currently a heavy Linux user and only recently have begun to explore it with real interest in using it. I do have and rarely but occasionally use a USB Floppy and wish to maintain its usability until it dies. The need for it is so greatly reduced though it has collected dust for at least 4+ years now and its most common use was on old hardware with dead Floppy drives.

The only problem with that is it only works (at least legally) if the hardware either originally came with Windows 10 or was legally upgraded to it from Windows 7, 8, or 8.1.

Linux will run on hardware that predates the Windows 7 era, and I have no idea, these days, what would even happen were you to try a N&P with Win10 on something that old.

With both Windows 10 and 11, you really do need historical information about the hardware before you can be certain that an N&P is appropriate on it and will work on it.
I haven't had any issues, so far. But I haven't brought in too many laptops with Linux either.

I have no idea, these days, what would even happen were you to try a N&P with Win10 on something that old.
If you mean what would happen if you N&P on a Machine where you upgraded from 7, 8, or 8.1 to 10 with a straight N&P back to 10? Those work fine as Win 10 registers something somewhere to recognize the hardware and if a key/license is required you must use your original Win 7 key. I have done this a couple of times even as recently as within the last year or 2. I did find some issues with some of the software and drivers that I had as they were from the original setup under Windows 7. If it is older than Win 7 as long as the hardware means Win10 minimum specs and you had already licensed or have a new license to install Win10 onto the hardware you should only be concerned with if you can find good drivers compatible with Win 10 for all the hardware.

If you mean what would happen if you N&P on a Machine where you upgraded from 7, 8, or 8.1 to 10 with a straight N&P back to 10?

No, I meant if you had, say, a machine that was a Win7 machine (or even earlier) that had never had an in-place upgrade and for which no digital license already exists on MS servers.

I realize that one can buy Win10 licenses, but that's a different matter entirely. This is more of a thought exercise than anything else, as I've never had a Linux box of any type dropped in my lap by a client. I've set up some of my own, but never had a client present one.

No, I meant if you had, say, a machine that was a Win7 machine (or even earlier) that had never had an in-place upgrade and for which no digital license already exists on MS servers.

I realize that one can buy Win10 licenses, but that's a different matter entirely. This is more of a thought exercise than anything else, as I've never had a Linux box of any type dropped in my lap by a client. I've set up some of my own, but never had a client present one.
Then you don't get activated. You have to enter the key from the sticker or firmware (if it exists) or do a fresh install of 7 using the OEM Certs then upgrade. Waste of time for an old clanker.

This thread has certainly taken a different turn..... lol I'm not complaining, though. I love reading the different back and forth comments, even when the subject matter goes off track. :)

This thread has certainly taken a different turn.....

Commonly known as "thread drift" or "topic drift" since I first started frequenting Usenet (if you have to ask, then wikipedia) and emailing lists.

So long as it doesn't occur prior to the original query being answered (which, when it does, is topic hijacking - a definite "never done") it's not a big problem. Conversations in real life flow naturally, and topics can, too. It's just critical that the original be addressed prior to the meandering starting.

Commonly known as "thread drift" or "topic drift" since I first started frequenting Usenet (if you have to ask, then wikipedia) and emailing lists.

So long as it doesn't occur prior to the original query being answered (which, when it does, is topic hijacking - a definite "never done") it's not a big problem. Conversations in real life flow naturally, and topics can, too. It's just critical that the original be addressed prior to the meandering starting.
I'm totally good with the drift. My questions and concerns were answered. This is much better than 50 more "don't do its"..... lol

I have not tested but heard you can activate a fresh Win10 with Win7 keys even if that Win7 key was never properly upgraded via the free upgrade service. I also heard this back during the time when you still had many free upgrade options so it might not work anymore now.

I have not tested but heard you can activate a fresh Win10 with Win7 keys even if that Win7 key was never properly upgraded via the free upgrade service. I also heard this back during the time when you still had many free upgrade options so it might not work anymore now.
Yes, you can. The easiest way to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 is by using the Media Creation Tool. You can choose to keep files and apps or start fresh by not keeping anything. That choice is near the end of the installation, not the beginning like a disk or USB install.

Back