Laptop Battery Refurbishing?

ThatPlace928

Reaction score
Hopefully, this is the right place to ask. I have tons of batteries that were replaced in laptops I refurbished. I don't believe all the batteries inside of the casings are bad. I've watched a few videos on how to do this and it seems simple enough.

Does anyone do this already? Is it worth it or are there issues with refurbished down the road?

Definitely recycle them properly, though. Way way too many lithium batteries are just thrown out. Batteries Plus or somewhere like that probably does it for free.

Definitely recycle them properly, though. Way way too many lithium batteries are just thrown out. Batteries Plus or somewhere like that probably does it for free.
I never throw them in the trash so they've been accumulating. I would definitely take them to an electronics recycling center but was wondering if they're even worth trying to refurbish them and cut down on the waste. I have a lot of them and from different makes and models of laptops.

I never throw them in the trash so they've been accumulating. I would definitely take them to an electronics recycling center but was wondering if they're even worth trying to refurbish them and cut down on the waste. I have a lot of them and from different makes and models of laptops.
I hope you understand that a lithium battery cannot, I repeat cannot, be refurbished. Anything you've seen just clears stats so the BMI reports no battery use. This is exactly the same rolling back the odometer on a car. Which, by the way, is illegal.

Reactions: GTP
I hope you understand that a lithium battery cannot, I repeat cannot, be refurbished. Anything you've seen just clears stats so the BMI reports no battery use. This is exactly the same rolling back the odometer on a car. Which, by the way, is illegal.
I'm not talking about refurbishing the batteries themselves. I would never even consider doing something like that. I'm talking about taking the cases apart and replacing bad lithium batteries. Sorry for the misunderstanding, if there was one.

No, vaping batteries.. 18650's that come in laptop batteries like these:

th

th

I wouldn't do it for a customer; it takes way more time than it's worth. I do it for my own machines, though. Still not worth the time unless it's a really old laptop and new batteries are unavailable, but I get some satisfaction from it. You can salvage the good 18650 cells from one battery to replace the bad cells in others, or for use in flashlights etc. In a 6-cell battery, there are usually only 1-2 bad cells, and the rest are usable.

One thing I've had some (mixed) success with is open up the battery, and clip-lead the bad cell to a charger. Seems to have the best success with batteries that went dead from sitting, and for some reason the battery can't charge a cell or two. But once they're charged they'll keep working just fine.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it for a customer; it takes way more time than it's worth. I do it for my own machines, though. Still not worth the time unless it's a really old laptop and new batteries are unavailable, but I get some satisfaction from it. You can salvage the good 18650 cells from one battery to replace the bad cells in others, or salvage the good cells for use in flashlights etc. In a 6-cell battery, there are usually only 1-2 bad cells, and the rest are usable.

One thing I've had some (mixed) success with is open up the battery, and clip-lead the bad cell to a charger. Seems to have the best success with batteries that went dead from sitting, and for some reason the battery can't charge a cell or two. But once they're charged they'll keep working just fine.
Thank you. That's the kind of advice I was looking for, from someone who actually has the hands on experience. Even if I decide not to do it to cut down on the waste, I would like to try it a few times, if for no other reason than to have the hands on and knowing what's involved.

I'm not talking about refurbishing the batteries themselves. I would never even consider doing something like that. I'm talking about taking the cases apart and replacing bad lithium batteries. Sorry for the misunderstanding, if there was one.
I see, I see said the blind man.....

Ok, swapping cells. But in a way you're still left with the same/similar issues. Some of the cells will/may have a good bit of mileage. Now if the BMI can report on individual cells and opening the battery case is easy then it's ok. Mind you, not economically feasible, but relatively simple. The problem is I can't say I've seen a laptop battery case which is easy to deal with. Now if I had other battery powered devices then I might have already tried it.

I see, I see said the blind man.....

Ok, swapping cells. But in a way you're still left with the same/similar issues. Some of the cells will/may have a good bit of mileage. Now if the BMI can report on individual cells and opening the battery case is easy then it's ok. Mind you, not economically feasible, but relatively simple. The problem is I can't say I've seen a laptop battery case which is easy to deal with. Now if I had other battery powered devices then I might have already tried it.
Yes, that's what I'm talking about is swapping out bad cells and replacing with good ones from other cases. I'm going to give it a shot and see how it goes. I was thinking about learning how to do this for a couple reasons. By combining good cells and recycling the rest, I can cut back on the waste in my shop.

Plus, it takes an average of 7 to 14 days to get a battery, once it's ordered. Most customers are okay waiting but some are not. If I know I have the right case on hand that I can rebuild with good working cells [or rebuild theirs], the customer might only have to wait a couple hours, 24 tops. Trying to find ways to become more efficient and, even though I get busy I'm not busy all the time, which gives me time to see what I can do.

Last edited:
Back