I hate IMAP

HCHTech

Reaction score
Ok, so a 3-person non-profit called the other day, they had just switched web hosters and needed help getting their email working again. Turns out their email works fine, but they need the historical email imported to the new accounts.

Person #1 used Outlook, so easy-peasy, export the email in the old profile to a PST, import that into the new profile. Done. Next!

Person #2 used the Windows 10 Mail app. They had Outlook on their machine, but didn't "like" it, so went with Windows Mail - Umm, OK. Do some digging, no luck finding old email. A little quality time with Google turned up this fun fact: When you setup an IMAP account in the Windows 10 Mail app, it doesn't actually download the mail! Ok, well, maybe we can access the account on the old web host and export the mail from there. Nope, account is closed. Sorry, all your email is gone. Pay the 'stupid' tax and move forward...but use Outlook this time for crying out loud.

Of course when queried about backups, I got a combination of the deer-in-the-headlights look and that look when your dog is trying to figure out what you're saying - they just stare at you and tilt their head to the side. Anyway, no backups.

Person #3 (who runs the non-profit) used Outlook, thank goodness, but had 30GB of email and about a hundred mail folders. We export everything to a PST, which takes it down to 20GB in size - still pretty big. I go to import it into the new profile, and hit a snag right away - many of those folders are subfolders of the Inbox, and the error message basically says the email server doesn't allow that with IMAP. We try a few things, including logging onto cpanel for the new hoster looking for some option to allow this - none was found.

I also tried forcing the root folder in the Outlook account to be 'INBOX', and while that rebuilt the folders, it still doesn't allow subfolders of the inbox to be created or imported.

Am I missing something here, or will I have to separately export those folders and them import them to a folder NOT under the inbox?

While waiting on the resolution of that, we proceed. Everything looks to be working, but user #3 reports that he isn't getting all of his email. After some discussion, it turns out he was previously getting a gmail account in Outlook as well. Ok, fine, I add the gmail account along with the standard warnings that you are probably not going to have a great experience with gmail in Outlook, but whatever you want, I guess.

Then he reports that this doesn't look like it did before. He wants all incoming messages to be in the same inbox folder. I do a quick check of his gmail account online and find he has 25,000 messages in his inbox. I am NOT keen on figuring out how to do what he wants because I don't think it's even going to work with that much data trying to sync via IMAP. I suppose I could leave the two accounts in Outlook, but make a rule that moves any new incoming mail to his gmail account to the inbox of the main account, but this is just kicking the can down the road - it's still going to end up not working or causing problems down the road because of the sheer volume of email in the IMAP sync. I could also set gmail to forward copies of all incoming mail to the main email account, but that has the same problem.

This is such a mess that I'm hesitant to push O365 as a potential solution. This is the result of bad practices plus an original setup that didn't contemplate the volume of email that would follow. I am planning on setting up archiving to reduce the amount of mail in the live accounts, but I'm sure they won't like that, either.

Am I missing something here, or will I have to separately export those folders and them import them to a folder NOT under the inbox?
Can you just copy the folders one at a time from the local copy of the old account to a workable location on the new account? Much easier than exporting & importing. Or is there something I'm missing?

Can you just copy the folders one at a time from the local copy of the old account to a workable location on the new account?

Well, the data is in two different profiles, and there are about 30 folders in question. I guess I could run two instances of Outlook, one logged into each profile. It might be doable, but I don't think you can drag folders from one instance of Outlook to another, I've never tried that. It's not really hard to import/export either. I was more asking about whether this limitation is common or not. It appears to be with the host, as they obviously had a previous IMAP account with the original host where they were able to create these folders in the first place.

Are you sure the old account is closed? Call the hosting provider they may be willing to help / reactivate the account

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

I hear ya @HCHTech. And the problem is not so much IMAP but a problem with the EU's. Of course they don't care - "it worked fine before". I've had similar situations where customer just did things on their own. We all know how what the outcome usually is.

Doing IMAP though the web host is problematic at best. I've tried several times and have always had problems. Whose the new host? A brand name? If so then their IMAP solution should be ok. If it's some no-name that's a different story.

On the W10 Mail app. Not checked it but supposedly there is a work offline option but if the old account is dead there's nothing you can do if it wasn't previously enabled.

On the subfolders in the Inbox. I can do that on my own email server running Axigen. But they have to be added via webmail. Can't add them from the client. Hopefully they have a webmail option. If so log in and see if you can add a sub-folder to the inbox.

The employee that lost the email decided he didn't need it back if it was going to mean more billable time. For the Inbox subfolders, I just exported them separately from the old profile to their own PST, then opened that PST in the new Outlook Profile. Then, I renamed the Inbox folder in the PST to "_OtherFolders". Once that was done, I could drag the entire folder and it's collection of 118 sub-folders into the main set of folders in one action. It took a couple of hours for all the data to move, and I expect it will take several hours at least for the sync to the server, but I think we're done for now.

On Monday, I'll setup archiving, although he "really needs" to have 3 years of email in the main file, so that won't help as much as I had hoped.

Lastly, I created a rule in Outlook to move any incoming gmail into the inbox folder of his main account. There are other ways to hand-forge a consolidated inbox, but this seemed to be the easiest. I'm sure that won't be good enough for him since his phone won't update directly. It's an android, so the email app will give you a consolidated inbox of all accounts defined - that might be good enough. We'll see.

We had a pointed discussion that this wasn't really 'best practice' and that if performance was not adequate, they would have to move to hosted exchange. I guess we'll see how it plays out. The new hoster is someone local reselling GoDaddy, btw (Their email servers are 'secureserver.net').

Would cost them what like $15/month to go to O365 with webmail through exchange which they could then connect to outlook or Windows mail.

I would push to drop GoDaddy. I have never heard a complaint from any customer who I have migrated from GoDaddy to O365.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

A non-profit should be able to get Office 365 Business Premium for about $2 / month per user through Tech Soup.

Exactly. This is what I'll push for. Just as an additional data point, I see that everything has synced up with the server now, and a send/receive takes 7 minutes on their 15/15 internet connection. I can't imagine how long it would take on a phone over cellular.

The last non-profit I sent to TechSoup got E1 for FREE, and E3 was $4.50 / month / user. E3 is a substantial upgrade over Business Premium.

Ugh I feel for you, honestly I wouldn't even attempt half of this. I'd aim them at Tech Soup, tell them to call me after they had their account validated, then I'd work with them to get their O365 tenant online. From there, sure any PSTs I recovered I'd just import right back into Outlook and let it take the days required to sync it all up.

But even O365 is limited to 50gb mailboxes, and you're more than half way there on one of them.

I went through something similar a few weeks back. Guy had like 40 folders under the INBOX. What I did was create the new account with the new email hosts server settings and once that was done, I created an Archive folder under the INBOX of the new account. Went to the old account that was still there and I simply did a CTRL + A of the folders, CTRL + C and then CTRL + V them. Afterwards, I hit Send / Receive tab and Update folder and all was golden. But it took over 45 mins to sync up the 18 gigs of emails.

When clients have a 32 gig IMAP account, I usually export to PST and just open as a PST. 32 gigs will take forever to sync. I tell clients, "Time for a fresh start, everything is under your new exchange" and most are good with that. And I can move up folders they need on the server.

Back