Fab's AutoBackup 7 Pro - a must have tool for techs

Gets user's default printer name.
Nice addition thanks. Customers often have old printers still installed, knowing which one they are likely be using the most will help as I usually download the printer driver package for the customer. I leave a shortcut on the desktop for them to install the printer, saves them having to find their install CD (often very outdated anyway) and saves them googling for drivers and installing scam driver installers.

Nice addition thanks. Customers often have old printers still installed, knowing which one they are likely be using the most will help as I usually download the printer driver package for the customer. I leave a shortcut on the desktop for them to install the printer, saves them having to find their install CD (often very outdated anyway) and saves them googling for drivers and installing scam driver installers.
With the greatest respect and just out of my curiosity....
Windows 10 detects and installs the printer in a few seconds without any intervention from end users though.
Why go to that trouble and end up with the chance of the end user screwing it up?

Windows 10 detects and installs the printer in a few seconds without any intervention from end users though.
Why go to that trouble and end up with the chance of the end user screwing it up?
Usually. From my experience I would say Windows 10 can install many domestic level printers but not so successful with the high end printers.

Usually. From my experience I would say Windows 10 can install many domestic level printers but not so successful with the high end printers.

The big problem with letting Windows do its own thing is that it's pretty good at setting up basic printing but won't do anything about scanning. That means that anyone with a multi-function printer (i.e. 90% of residential users) will still need to download and install the manufacturer's software pack anyway, leaving them with two installed printers instead of one.

The big problem with letting Windows do its own thing is that it's pretty good at setting up basic printing but won't do anything about scanning. That means that anyone with a multi-function printer (i.e. 90% of residential users) will still need to download and install the manufacturer's software pack anyway, leaving them with two installed printers instead of one.
That's true. I usually end up uninstalling the Windows installed printer and installing again from the OEM software.

Hmmm, I've set up a lot of business printers (or should I say windows has) and clients just use the built in Windows Fax and Scan.
Works great.
Been ok so far.

Have you tried to scan with the default drivers? Or have you seen default drivers printing white on black (inverted) - Doesn't always work, or terrible user experience. Or wifi printer that needs scan utility. Tons of reasons.

As others have said, scanning doesn't usually get set up well automatically. And users are used to the more fully featured scanning tool that came with their printer.

However I have recently installed a new HP Officejet 9010 on my network for internal use. It gets installed automatically on every computer I connect to the LAN, the HP Smart app installs via Windows Update and this works OK for scanning.

With the current COVID 19 situation, it would be interesting if it were possible for Fabs to b e password protected at launch, this way it could be remotely uploaded to a client side in order to transfer/backup data without leaving a fully functional copy of Fabs on the client machine...

With the current COVID 19 situation, it would be interesting if it were possible for Fabs to b e password protected at launch, this way it could be remotely uploaded to a client side in order to transfer/backup data without leaving a fully functional copy of Fabs on the client machine...
This was already in the projects but not implemented as it was not that critical. Things have changed due to this crisis. I'll add that to the new release ASAP. For now, I have to setup a development environment on a tiny MacBook since I've had to lend my 17 inches laptop to my children for their home school (much easier to use for them). Now, it's time for me to setup Win 10 on a BootCamp partition ;)

Last edited:
Set up the smaller laptop for them to use and connect it to a bigger monitor. :D
That's a 12 inch MacBook, so, dongles are needed for this. TV is too far away from desk and wireless display works poorly. I'm fine with small unit. It's up and running now ;)

I've worked on this (and lost some hair in the process lol) but it looks like I've something working pretty well now :
I've added a menu to the "key" icon on the upper right corner with 2 items :
- edit license information
- set / change / disable startup password.
When a password is set, it's encrypted and stored in computer's registry and in the autobackup.ini file.
If passwords in registry and ini file are different, ini file wins and password in registry gets updated. If there's a stored password in registry but not in ini file, the password is asked anyway at startup and ini files gets updated. Finally, if a password is set, then license information is encrypted in ini file. This way, end user cannot use a copied (stolen?) program, even if he deletes encrypted password from ini file.

Now, I need some brave people to test the beast before I release it in the wild ;)
Here is the test build download link : https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZMlS1kZxRWeq3tPhKbYeNfIlvXKOB4xkqKX
Just in case, user's manual has a dedicated section about that feature.
Just in case #2 : backup your autobackup.ini file or at least your license information.

Last edited:
Works a treat. Unzipped it to a different directory than my production version and can run either unlocked version (in shop) or locked version (on remote support/on-site) jobs.

Someone has found a weakness in it : actually it's possible to clear password from ini file and remove the "Ecrypted" word from license information values to get something that runs fully unlocked. Working at fixing that big hole ;)

Last edited:
Back