Fab's AutoBackup 7 Pro - a must have tool for techs

It should have worked automatically. I'll look at this. Just because I don't like half working stuff

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Like most, I hadn't seen an XP install in years and don't expect to see one again. Not even sure how you get an XP install to test it on?

In fact, I use a multiboot virtual machine that has XP, Vista, 7, 8.1, 10 official and 10 insider preview so, that's not a problem ;)
I'd love to set up an automated testing harness. We had one set up at my last job. It was magic to watch. We do a build and give it to the test box and walk away. A little while later it would send a report telling us what we broke. Fix that, rinse and repeat until there's no more test failures and ship. Any bug reports that come in from beta testers are invariably cases not covered by the test harness. We add that test case so we know when we've fixed the bug and we also know immediately when there's a regression failure.

We do a build and give it to the test box and walk away. A little while later it would send a report telling us what we broke. Fix that, rinse and repeat until there's no more test failures and ship. Any bug reports that come in from beta testers are invariably cases not covered by the test harness. We add that test case so we know when we've fixed the bug and we also know immediately when there's a regression failure.
Wow, that's impressive. I wish I was able to make such a thing.

Hmm.... I see it doesn't find profiles automatically in XP. I can guide it to Documents and Settings folder (under choose a Windows installation) and choose a user and it gets what's there but the way WinXP puts stuff all over the hard drive I forgot what a pain that is.

No worries - No one should be seeing WinXP installs anyway.
I've just tested that 2 different ways against my XP virtual drive :
- Straight running it under XP. It took a bit of time before it let me choose C as source drive but starting from here, it could find profiles without a hitch.
- From a Win 10 VM with the XP drive hooked. It could find XP profiles as well.

Was your XP able to boot ? If not, then it could be an issue with machine software registry hive. That's the one that contains profiles paths. If Fab's could not load it because it's corrupted, then it could not find where profiles could be on the drive. I know I could try to look at that "Documents and settings" folder on the drive but Vista and newer can also have such "Documents and settings" on them but this time, it's a symbolic link that leads to errors if trying to deal with it.

Hi,
Fab's AutoBackup 7 Home & Office and Fab's AutoBackup 7 Pro V7.2.0.1573 have just been released.

Change log:
Added:
- Optional file integrity check sum control feature after copy.
- Support for Notepad++ settings.
- Support for AnyDesk settings.

Fixed:

- Additional files and folders features could trigger errors while listing files to copy.
- Fonts registry exported information file could remain empty in the backup and make the program hang at restore.

Grab it from your orders history's details on the shop's website at https://store.fpnet.fr/account.php?language=en or using the bundled updater tool (click the "Download Fab's AutoBackup 7.X" link within the program and get the updated files).

Yes, XP was booted and I did the backup from a user account that had admin rights. There was more than one account on the machine but I doubt that had anything to do with it. Not sure why it didn't find the accounts until I pointed it at Documents and Settings. I forgot how XP used to keep stuff all over the place. Quicken data was off in it's own folder (C: \Quicken) as were many other things back then.

Like I said, no worries. Probably a strange install......

@fabs Forgive my ineptitude, but I've never been able to find this option within the program. Could you let me know the exact location - thanks.
Right here:
UpdateFabs.jpg

So i bit the bullet and updated to the latest version of Fabs Autobackup.

First job i used it on it totally ignored the the "Extra Files and Folders" I selected to be backed up.
Luckily I had backed them up manually beforehand and i also had an image just in case.
The client had some folders hidden in the "Program Files" folder in Windows. :eek::rolleyes:

Anyway - its all good and they are restored but still I would like to know why those selected folders were ignored by Fabs AutoBackup?

still I would like to know why those selected folders were ignored by Fabs AutoBackup?
That can come from various criteria like some kind of permissions issue.
I'll need to know in which conditions you were using it. Like running from what kind of media (usb stick, usb hard drive, local drive, network share), running operating system (also, was it a PE or not), were you backing up files from running system drive or a hooked one?
Finally, could you please send me your autobackup.ini file to fab [at] fpnet.fr ? Perhaps there's some clue inside.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey @fabs ! Ended up with a new bug. I'm struggling to replicate it however. I will give you the scenario.

Transferring old system to new system, using Transfer option, with drive pulled from old system. Left all the defaults on. However, all their accounting files are stored in root of drive, so I used the folder selection tool on the folders needed.

It transferred the folder selected, the individual files inside, but no subfolders.

Any idea?

Any idea?
I have an idea. Were those folders collapsed or expanded in folders tree ?
If a folder is checked while it's expanded, only contents at its root is listed for copy. If you want that folder AND its sub folders, then you need to check it while it's collapsed.
If that's the scenario, then it's not a bug as it has always worked this way : see user's manual at page 19

Last edited:
I have an idea. Were those folders collapsed or expanded in folders tree ?
If a folder is checked while it's expanded, only contents at its root is listed for copy. If you want that folder AND its sub folders, then you need to check it while it's collapsed.
If that's the scenario, then it's not a bug as it has always worked this way : see user's manual at page 19
I honestly don't remember. I usually don't expand, but I do not know, but I do see why it would. Thanks for the reply. :)

Hi,
Fab's AutoBackup 7 Home & Office and Fab's AutoBackup 7 Pro V7.2.0.1596 have just been released.

Change log:
Added:
- Gets user's default printer name.

Fixed:

- NK2 file (typed addresses history) from Outlook 2003 was not found and could be left behind.

Grab it from your orders history's details on the shop's website at https://store.fpnet.fr/account.php?language=en or using the bundled updater tool (click the "Download Fab's AutoBackup 7.X" link within the program and get the updated files).
IMPORTANT : SAVE LIVES, STAY AT HOME!

Back