Fab's AutoBackup 7 Pro - a must have tool for techs

Hi,
Fab's AutoBackup 7 Home & Office and Fab's AutoBackup 7 Pro V7.3.0.1930 have just been released.

Change log:
Added:
- Ability to set a password to protect program startup (Pro version only). To ensure that automated backups still work, the program will ignore this parameter when used in command line mode. A dedicated section has been added to user's manual.
- Dial-up and VPN connection settings (Rasphone.pbk) at user level is now handled. Until now, this file was picked up only at machine level, so, if user had personal dial-up and VPN settings, they were not copied.
- The program now adds its own folder path (Pro version) or "%ProgramData%\Fab's AutoBackup 7" folder (Home & Office) to Windows Defender exclusions. This should limit it from deleting Nirsoft Tools. Pro version removes this exclusion when it closes to avoid Windows Defender folder exclusions from being polluted because of drive letter change (Pro version is portable).

Fixed:
- When just Internet Explorer home page and settings were selected, the program behaved like nothing was selected.
- A wrong empty rasphone.pbk file could be copied instead of the good one. Also, to be more explicit, this formerly "Rasphone.pbk file (modem settings file)" feature has also been renamed as "Dial-up and VPN settings".
- If typed addresses history (auto-complete cache, nk2) was deselected manually, it was still considered as selected.
- The program now tries to match its current date and time format to the selected translation. If it cannot, it will use local system format.
- VSS copy was not used for some some Chromium based browsers, even when VSS was available.
- Saved logs files names are now translated into selected language.
- Minor cosmetic adjustments.

Grab it from your orders history's details on the shop's website at https://store.fpnet.fr/account.php?language=en or using the bundled updater tool (click the "Download Fab's AutoBackup 7.X" link within the program and get the updated files).
IMPORTANT : SAVE LIVES, STAY AT HOME!

Hello,
Yet another update (not a big deal though) : Fab's AutoBackup 7 Pro V7.3.0.2074 has just been released.

Here is the change log:

Added:
- Improved Nirsoft tools exclusion from Windows Defender by adding them to Process exclusions.

Fixed:
- Improved additional folders selection by not scanning folders content at this stage. Large amounts of small files in such folders could lead the program to crash because of too much used RAM. Content scanning happens now with other items.
- The EdgeExport third party tool to export Microsoft Edge (legacy) was missing from downloadable package.
- The time appeared twice in installed software and installed printers report.
- The installed software and installed printers report names are now translated.
- Minor cosmetic adjustments.

Grab it from your orders history's details on the shop's website at https://store.fpnet.fr/account.php?language=en or using the bundled updater tool (click the "Download Fab's AutoBackup 7.X" link within the program and get the updated files).

Hello,
Fab's AutoBackup 7 Pro V7.3.1.2393 has been released.

Here is the change log:

Added:
- User level installed fonts are now handled

Fixed:
- When choosing another location to restore additional files, a wrong path was used and files were not restored.
- Additional files wildcard search was not working anymore and such files were missed.
- Automatic NirSoft tools exclusion from Windows Defender real time protection is now performed only if Windows Defender is the only anti-malware protection installed on the system. The goal is to prevent third party anti-malware products from deleting the program because of suspect behavior.
- /USEVSS parameter was ignored in command line mode when VSS feature has been disabled in "normal" mode.
- Improved additional folders feature behavior in backup mode.
- Finally found out and fixed what could cause program freeze while registering copied fonts. It was the way it notified operating system that there had been changes with fonts.
- Improved log messages accuracy and added some missing translations (at least for languages I can handle!).
- Installed printers list is now copied at the same time as installed software list for restore and transfer jobs. This way, it's possible to start printers install before the end of copy job.
- Minor cosmetic issues.

Hello,
Fab's AutoBackup 7 Pro and Fab's AutoBackup 7 Home & Office V7.3.1.2579 have just been released.

Here is the change log for both versions:

Fixed:
- For some users, the program asked for license information at every start because of a problem when checking email address.
- Redesigned additional files feature for better ease of use.
- It was possible to select Microsoft Edge favorites (not Chromium) on systems older than Windows 10!
- Changed order for Mozilla family browsers processing at restore. They are done first so there is no need to wait for other items to complete before being able to use them.

Hey @fabs I'm having problems with Fabs AutoBackup. It fails every time with trying to take ownership of files.
I have tried older version as well for same result.
It happens on every PC I run it on.
Thanks in advance.

Hey @fabs I'm having problems with Fabs AutoBackup. It fails every time with trying to take ownership of files.
I have tried older version as well for same result.
It happens on every PC I run it on.
Thanks in advance.
With which item is it failing ? If that's OneDrive, and you end with 0KB files in the backup, you may be dealing with their "Files On Demand" feature. In such a case, files appear in explorer, they show a size but in fact, they're not physically here. Just try to copy them manually and you'll see that even Explorer itself sends an error message about cloud service agent not running.
If that's something different, can you please provide any details that can help me reproduce this?
If not, I assume it happens in every possible situation with absolutely every selected item.

Last edited:
Hi maybe silly question, though is there a way to use this version without installing it?
Also how does one modify it - like customise logo etc like v6. I purchased the Home & Office version BTW. Thanks

Hi maybe silly question, though is there a way to use this version without installing it?
Also how does one modify it - like customise logo etc like v6. I purchased the Home & Office version BTW. Thanks
Home & Office version is not portable and is designed for end users. Pro version would have been a better choice

Ok thanks now I just purchased both lol. Should have went with pro dammit.
If you have possibility to resell it to a customer, just do it. If not, I can tweak a little bit your Pro update period to include that Home & Office's price in it. If I can avoid to refund a Paypal payment, I prefer not to as they now keep commission fees. Of course if you prefer a refund, no problem.

I've been following your instructions to create a Win10XPE disc with Fabs Autobackup. Iso is created with no errors but when I open Fabs it says Windows cannot find powershell.exe. I went into Build Core and made sure MS Powershell and Powershell Core were checked.
What else am I missing?

I've been following your instructions to create a Win10XPE disc with Fabs Autobackup. Iso is created with no errors but when I open Fabs it says Windows cannot find powershell.exe. I went into Build Core and made sure MS Powershell and Powershell Core were checked.
What else am I missing?
You're not missing anything. A couple of days ago, someone told me about that bug. It comes from the recent ability to exclude Nirsoft tools from WIndows Defender's realtime protection. It uses a PowerShell command at startup to detect if Defender is the only anti-malware installed protection. Unfortunately, PE does not support such commands and program hangs after that error message.
I have a test version that solves this issue but I can't release it that soon.
Here is a download link for it so you can use it in PE : https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZMlS1kZxRWeq3tPhKbYeNfIlvXKOB4xkqKX

Thank you! Recreating iso now to try.

You're not missing anything. A couple of days ago, someone told me about that bug. It comes from the recent ability to exclude Nirsoft tools from WIndows Defender's realtime protection. It uses a PowerShell command at startup to detect if Defender is the only anti-malware installed protection. Unfortunately, PE does not support such commands and program hangs after that error message.
Here is a download link for it so you can use it in PE : https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZMlS1kZxRWeq3tPhKbYeNfIlvXKOB4xkqKX

Hello,
Fab's AutoBackup 7 Pro and Fab's AutoBackup 7 Home & Office V7.3.1.2908 have just been released.

Fixed:
- When there were several user profiles to restore and they had Mozilla family products (Firefox, Thunderbird) profiles, it was possible to restore them only for the fist user and not others.
- Pro version did not work in PE anymore since Nirsoft utilities exclusion from Windows Defender were there because PowerShell commands cannot be executed in PE.
- When unselecting an additional folder at backup/transfer, it could be copied anyway.
- The program will not try to take ownership of symbolic link folders anymore. That was useless and a waste of time.
- Fixed that weird behavior of the Check All/Uncheck All box on "User's data" tab when there was more than one selected user profile.
- Network printers were only listed for the first user but not for the others.
- Huge number of minor cosmetic glitches.

Hello,
Fab's AutoBackup 7 Pro and Fab's AutoBackup 7 Home & Office V7.3.1.2947 have just been released.

Added:
- File integrity control feature for the updater tool. If file download does not complete properly while updating the program, it will try again 5 times. If downloaded file is still corrupted at the end of the process, program update is cancelled.

Fixed:
- The feature that checks if the program has enough permissions to access folders contents used to create and delete a test file in the folder to be tested. Now, it uses Windows APIs so writing in the folder is not needed anymore. It could cause folder time stamps to change, so, this information could not be kept reliably.
- When using an admin account to run the program that has never been used to sign in a windows session, there could be an issue when restoring/transferring system fonts.

Back