Fab's AutoBackup 7 Pro - a must have tool for techs

I'm assuming FABs is backing up favorites from the new (Chromium) version of Edge. My question to @fabs is if the info is coming from

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default
or from -
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Bookmarks

I've seen it published both ways. I didn't get any Favorites transferred last time to Edge using FABs (but there were many other issues) so I thought I would do it manually but am confused at the conflicting information. The former uses a database and the latter just a file which is easier to move around.

Last edited:
I've recently had problems, twice, with back-ups of additional folders not being included in the back-up. I understand that if an additional folder is expanded before being selected, none of its sub-folders will be included unless each sub-folder is specifically checked. I ran the back-up, looked in the Public archive to verify that the additional folders were included, but they were not.

When I used Previous page to verify they were all checked appropriately, then went forward to re-run the back-up, they were still not included. (I vaguely recall there being a second archive created because of the re-run, so maybe I just didn't see them in the second archive, which didn't get restored when I did the restore, I don't know. Now that I think about it, the target was my RAID storage, which I will inspect later today. The source was an NVMe SSD, which was read using a NVMe-USB adapter. The ultimate target was another, larger, NVMe drive that used the same adapter, hence the need for intermediate storage. A second adapter is on order.)

Unfortunately, I no longer have the source and target disk to inspect as the customer has picked them up. I'll do some testing and see if I can replicate the problem.

I've seen something like that. The fix was to delete the entire "[DIRS]" section from AutoBackup.ini file. It was a while back when I've improved this feature general speed and behavior

Now that I think about it, the target was my RAID storage, which I will inspect later today.
I'm losing it. :confused: The Fabs back-up was to her external drive, which has been returned to her. I imaged the NVMe SSD to my RAID DAS and restored it to the new, larger, NVMe SSD -- they have nothing to do with the problem. I'll try your suggestion -- thanks!

Hello,
Fab's AutoBackup 7 Pro and Fab's AutoBackup 7 Home & Office V7.4.0.3099 have just been released.

Here is the change log for both versions:

Added:
- Ability to set log files storage location and their threshold level. Options available are : 0 (never save any log), 1 (always save a log), 2 (save logs only if there were warning and/or errors) and 3 (only if there were errors).
- Now, when an update for a third party tool is available (NirSoft tools for example), the program downloads it automatically without prompting.
- New layout for job options to make the program look less overloaded: options can be shown or hidden just before job launch on summary page.

Fixed:
- If backup is stored on a network location, the program could take ages trying to set permissions on files while restoring. Now, if backup is on a network location, permissions test is skipped so it will not waste time here.
- When "Move files from source folder" option was selected, if there were warning or errors while copying files, source files could still be removed from source. Now if a warning or an error occurs while copying files, that option is totally disabled to prevent further files removals.
- Other profiles backups (public items backup as well) could be deleted if "Move files from source folder" option was selected in restore mode. Now, only selected user backup is removed when this option is selected. Of course, if public items are also selected, public items backup gets removed as well which is expected behavior.
- Due to an incompatibility between "Check files integrity after copy" and "Move files from source folder" options, a message prompt shows up if one is already enabled. Indeed, it's impossible to compare source and target file if that file is not in source location anymore! To use one of those options, the other must be disabled.

Grab it from your orders history's details on the shop's website at https://store.fpnet.fr/account.php?language=en or using the bundled updater tool (click the "Download Fab's AutoBackup 7.X" link within the program and get the updated files).

I've just tried with previous release and did not have any trouble updating it. Everything got downloaded right at first try. It tires to download each file 5 times until it gives up. Perhaps some kind of firewall/anti-malware issue ?
If you need command line builder, you can still get full package from your store account.
Just in case, the download instructions are here: http://download.fpnet.fr/Download-Update-Guide.pdf

Last edited:
Hey Fabs, I keep getting caught out by the antivirus blocking the Nirsoft tools. I know I'm supposed to disable that when running the backup and restore but sometimes I forget. When I come back after the restore is finished I see the errors where the Nirsoft tools were blocked. Today when the restore gave errors I disabled Defender and ran it again using the Skip option and that seemed to be ok. I wonder if it makes sense to have it pause with a prompt when copying or running those tools gives an error.

Regarding the update error reported by @Porthos, I'm getting it now on the update of main exe, twice in a row. Command line builder unticked.

The progress indicator seems to indicate the download is working fine, gets to Done, then the error.

Attachments

• update error.png
    update error.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 6
In fact, the updater does a checksum control at the end if every download. If sum is not the expected one, it considers the file as corrupted and downloads it again until it succeeds or reach 5 checksum control failures. That message appears then. If download is fine, then something is preventing updater from getting checksum. Anti-malware maybe?
Anyway, I must remove that feature. That looked like a good idea but obviously it's not as I can't prevent this. At least, I should add an option in ini file that turns checksum control off.

This. Having checksum control is a good thing. Maybe have it display a warning but not terminate the download.
Good idea. I'm currently changing it. It will still try to download each item 5 times (perhaps I should double hat number as well ?) but instead of just renaming the .old to .exe and showing that message before it closes, it will add a " - Failed" to the item and will try the next one. This way, checksum remains but that will not be that annoying and scary.
Unfortunately, that will be effective only for next (+1) update.

Note : if any of you has a better idea about that, feel free to share it ;)

The folders I keep it in are excluded from Defender and Malwarebytes. I also tried it with Malwarebytes fully turned off.
Then, just improving that checksum feature will not work for you. It looks like you'll need a way to disable it completely

It's still happening every time for me on the main exe. I've also tried it with antivirus and firewall disabled (same result).

@fabs would you like me to send you a zipped copy of my AutoBackupPro folder for testing? What email address?

Back