Fab's AutoBackup 7 Pro - a must have tool for techs

I got debug feedback. I'll investigate this ASAP. So far, you obviously found a bug. Now, I need to find out where it is and release a fix

I just wanted to reiterate that this is under the newest version of Windows 10, 1909 which was just released this week.

It looks like this happens at least with Mozilla family software profiles. I have been able to reproduce the issue with opened Firefox while backing up.
It can also happen if some user folders have been selected in the additional folders tree. IE C:\Users\UserName\3DObjects or C:\Users\UserName\Downloads

Note to @Metanis : most of the additional folders you have selected are also natively supported by Fab's and do not require to be copied one more time using this additional folders feature. Here is a list of what you've added manually that was not necessary :
AdditionalFolder0=C:\Users\UserName\3D Objects\
AdditionalFolder1=C:\Users\UserName\Desktop\
AdditionalFolder2=C:\Users\UserName\Documents\
AdditionalFolder3=C:\Users\UserName\Downloads\
AdditionalFolder4=C:\Users\UserName\Music\
AdditionalFolder5=C:\Users\UserName\Pictures\
AdditionalFolder6=C:\Users\UserName\Videos\

Now, I'm working on a fix to prevent software from taking ownership of folders within a VSS snapshot. Doing that is useless since VSS snapshots permissions cannot be changed.

Until a fixed version is released, do not use VSS if you are dealing with Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey and want to save time

Last edited:
Fixed version is now in the wild : Fab's AutoBackup 7 Home & Office and Fab's AutoBackup 7 Pro 7.1.1.1136 released.

Change log:
Added:
- Malwarebytes AntiMalware (3.x - 4.x) license key can now be exported.
Fixed:
- The program used to waste time trying to take ownership of folders in VSS snapshots when dealing with Mozilla family products and additional folders.

Grab it from your orders history's details on the shop's website at https://store.fpnet.fr/account.php?language=en or using the bundled updater tool (click the "Download Fab's AutoBackup 7.X" link within the program and get the updated files).

Added:
- Malwarebytes AntiMalware (3.x - 4.x) license key can now be exported.
Remember, Having the key is good (thanks Fabs), Just remember to deactivate the license in the program (MB) if the computer boots and can go online before doing the backup and before nuking or transferring to another computer or you will have reactivation issues.

Remember, Having the key is good (thanks Fabs), Just remember to deactivate the license in the program (MB) if the computer boots and can go online before doing the backup and before nuking or transferring to another computer or you will have reactivation issues.
Absolutely

Having the key is good (thanks Fabs), Just remember to deactivate the license in the program (MB) if the computer boots and can go online before doing the backup and before nuking or transferring to another computer or you will have reactivation issues.

That sounds like a warning that should happen at the end of the backup process - "Backed up license keys with limited activations, consider deactivating/uninstalling these programs before restoring to a new computer"

That sounds like a warning that should happen at the end of the backup process - "Backed up license keys with limited activations, consider deactivating/uninstalling these programs before restoring to a new computer"
That will be in the next update. There's no hurry for that as it still possible to deactivate it online in case of a dead source PC through Malwarebytes account's control panel.
I have found something else : Fab's show that it can grab a license on machines with just free version installed. Fortunately, that does not interrupt file copy processes and does not throw any error message.

"Backed up license keys with limited activations, consider deactivating/uninstalling these programs before restoring to a new computer"

I wish programs themselves would advertise when this was necessary. It's always some LOB app or little program I've never heard of, but it's a soul-killing when you're just cleaning up to go and they get an activation warning. Another half-hour or worse to reassemble the old box, hook up the monitor, keyboard and mouse again, fire it up, figure out how to deactivate the problem program, then decommission the old box (again), put the new box in place (again) and get the thing activated. I spent over an hour doing this dance with an embroidery program (Embird?) last month. Good times.

I've experienced the following problem a few times recently. I'm not sure if this is a known problem so here it comes:

Latest version of Fabs.
Doing a migration to N&P machine.
After installing Win10 1909, the first thing I do is Fabs restore.
Then install Chrome.
Chrome reports that the profile was corrupted and has been reset.
Bookmarks and passwords are lost.

I'm just shocked there's anything in 1909 that isn't in 1903, the build numbers are seriously a single digit increment... that's not even really a new build.

I get the same problem with Firefox profiles not restored correctly.

I dont have time to fool around trying to fix things that shouldn't break so I'll just stick with the old versions that work properly.

Last edited:
I've experienced the following problem a few times recently. I'm not sure if this is a known problem so here it comes:

Latest version of Fabs.
Doing a migration to N&P machine.
After installing Win10 1909, the first thing I do is Fabs restore.
Then install Chrome.
Chrome reports that the profile was corrupted and has been reset.
Bookmarks and passwords are lost.
Fab's could not corrupt it as it does not change a single bit of Chrome settings.
It does something similar to this : https://support.4it.com.au/article/copy-google-chrome-profile-new-user-profile-windows/
A simple test is to try to copy a chrome profile manually and restore it to another user profile on the same machine. You will get the same thing.
If I take a closer look at chrome profile's files and I see that there is a "Preferences" file (totally understandable) AND a "Secured Preferences" file that's looks encrypted.
However, I've no problem if I migrate Chrome form a domain user profile to a new machine with same user account (and same domain of course). Conclusion : it looks like encryption key is linked to Windows user's SID.
If Windows user's SID changes, then Chrome thinks profile has been corrupt by an external program (like malware for browser hijacking) and resets everything.
I'm looking for some trick that could help keeping as much data as possible.

Last edited:
Still testing.
So far, only bookmarks are kept. Stored passwords are definitely gone.
Because of encryption, it looks like the best way to keep everything in every case is to enable Chrome's sync feature as it prevents settings from being moved that simply.
It looks like I now have to change that "Google Chrome profile" item for "Google Chrome bookmarks" and only focus on bookmarks file to not waste time getting files that will be wiped anyway :(
Encryption is great to prevent malware infections but definitely bad for data migration.

Last edited:
I get the same problem with Firefox profiles not restored correctly.

I dont have time to fool around trying to fix things that shouldn't break so I'll just stick with the old versions that work properly.
This issue has already been addressed. That said, you're free to stick with older version if you prefer. I'm just sorry that you do not trust it anymore (and me either fixing issues when they occur).

Last edited:
Still testing.
So far, only bookmarks are kept. Stored passwords are definitely gone.
Because of encryption, it looks like the best way to keep everything in every case is to enable Chrome's sync feature as it prevents settings from being moved that simply.
It looks like I now have to change that "Google Chrome profile" item for "Google Chrome bookmarks" and only focus on bookmarks file to not waste time getting files that will be wiped anyway :(
Encryption is great to prevent malware infections but definitely bad for data migration.
Google wants you to move your data through their ecosystem (ie sync) and is progressively removing all the tools relating to export/import.

Does it work if the SID is the same? That is, if the domain or workgroup is the same and the user name is the same ?

Google and Firefox are both slowly bolting in a full on password management system. As they do this, the process is going to get harder. Users really do not have any choice, they must have an account with those services if they want to use them. Any vendor handling passwords is going to have to get picky with the encryption, because if you think about... If FABs can lift and move all those passwords, who else can?

That means FABs can steal the digital identities of the users on the machines it works with. That's an unacceptable breach in the chain of ownership of the information in question.

So yes, expect this junk to get harder, not easier. Because systems are becoming more secure. And the major players are going to take this ability away from you. The only supportable path forward, is to use the sync features in the ecosystem in question.

And that's not even a business and money thing, it's raw chain of authority and security. Stored passwords should not, under any circumstance, be portable.

So FABs, I love your tool, and thank you for keeping on top as best you can. But honestly, I do not expect you to win this fight. Grab the bookmarks, skip everything else, and move on. That's the best you can do, not just from a feature / functionality standpoint, but in support of best practices as well.

P.S. If your customers do not want their passwords passing through Microsoft / Google / Firefox hands... Bitwarden, and sell them a small server to run the docker container they can have at home. They want to waste time reinventing the wheel, let them...

Back