Fab's AutoBackup 7 Pro - a must have tool for techs

Aloha Fab. I'm going to use Fab's AB to transfer data from a pulled hard drive to a PC that has been in use for a while. So, there's a good possibility I will run across duplicate file names. I've looked in the user guide, and it doesn't really mention what happens when you select "Keep Both". I'm assuming one of the files gets renamed. Which one gets renamed (i.e. the one already on the target, or the one being copied to the target?). What is the format of the new file name? Is there a list of these renamed files in the log? If not, how would I find them after the AB job completes?

Mahalo,

Harry Z

Aloha Fab. I'm going to use Fab's AB to transfer data from a pulled hard drive to a PC that has been in use for a while. So, there's a good possibility I will run across duplicate file names. I've looked in the user guide, and it doesn't really mention what happens when you select "Keep Both". I'm assuming one of the files gets renamed. Which one gets renamed (i.e. the one already on the target, or the one being copied to the target?). What is the format of the new file name? Is there a list of these renamed files in the log? If not, how would I find them after the AB job completes?

Mahalo,

Harry Z
Hi, file being copied is renamed as file#2 or file#3 if file#2 already exists too, incrementing numbers until there is no more conflicts. And yes, this is mentioned in the log. Look for "renamed as" to track them.

Process is detailed in user's manual.
No it isn't. The process of manually importing back into Edge is documented in the manual, but the downloaded utility isn't mentioned in it.
It is 3rd party
And whom, may I ask, is that party?

Regardless of your link to virus total declaring no viruses detected, I think mine is a reasonable question. The Fabs prompt to authorise the download doesn't mention anything about where its from. The downloaded exe has no properties to help identify it.

At least the ProduKey download prompt mentions Nirsoft and the exe is signed to verify where it came from.

My questions are not criticisms. It looks like a good feature.

No it isn't. The process of manually importing back into Edge is documented in the manual, but the downloaded utility isn't mentioned in it.

And whom, may I ask, is that party?

Regardless of your link to virus total declaring no viruses detected, I think mine is a reasonable question. The Fabs prompt to authorise the download doesn't mention anything about where its from. The downloaded exe has no properties to help identify it.

At least the ProduKey download prompt mentions Nirsoft and the exe is signed to verify where it came from.

My questions are not criticisms. It looks like a good feature.
http://www.edgemanage.emmet-gray.com/Articles/EdgeExport.html

Public Domain
This application and its source code are placed in the "public domain". That means it's completely free, with no restrictions on its use. There is no license, so you can do anything you want with it, to include making money from it. You are also free to tinker with it, modify it, add new features, etc.

I thought it might be the utility from Emmet Gray.
A few minutes ago I noticed the DLL (downloaded with the EXE) had more info in the properties.

Only need confirmation from @fabs now.

I thought it might be the utility from Emmet Gray.
A few minutes ago I noticed the DLL (downloaded with the EXE) had more info in the properties.

Only need confirmation from @fabs now.
Yes, that's the one from Emmet Gray. Its licensing complies totally, it's clean and does the job. He has another EdgeSync tool that's in theory able to handle restore process totally automatically but tests results were not that good. EdgeExport just works

Last edited:
Yes, that's the one from Emmet Gray.
The prompt about downloading EdgeExport will happen for everyone because Edge Favourites is selected by default on the first screen.

Maybe the prompt should occur when leaving the page (if Edge Favourites is still selected), and maybe the prompt should mention where the download is from. That way anyone not wanting to blindly trust the download from a 3rd party can deselect it on the first screen and not get prompted every time.

Just suggestions, I'm personally happy to leave it selected and have the utility downloaded now that I know what it is!

The prompt about downloading EdgeExport will happen for everyone because Edge Favourites is selected by default on the first screen.

Maybe the prompt should occur when leaving the page (if Edge Favourites is still selected), and maybe the prompt should mention where the download is from. That way anyone not wanting to blindly trust the download from a 3rd party can deselect it on the first screen and not get prompted every time.

Just suggestions, I'm personally happy to leave it selected and have the utility downloaded now that I know what it is!
That prompt is there for Fab's version's already in the wild as it's bundled in full package now. I've made it work exactly as it does for Nirsoft tools but I understand what you mean. That said, if that prompt shows up just before launching copy process, that will stop user when he was about to get the job done. Like it is now it's not that bad as user is still making selections. That's just another click on the process

if that prompt shows up just before launching copy process
It should prompt when leaving the page, which is normally when going to the Public page (not when launching the copy process).

The Nirsoft tools are on the second page. In my opinion it would improve that also if only prompted when leaving the page.

It should prompt when leaving the page, which is normally when going to the Public page (not when launching the copy process).

The Nirsoft tools are on the second page. In my opinion it would improve that also if only prompted when leaving the page.
That's in todos for next version

I just transferred customer data to a new machine, and Fabs nicely created an EdgeExport file. I went into Edge and manually did the import and found there was nothing imported.

Is there any way to detect that there were no favourites exported and log that without leaving the file on the desktop? This would save the manual import step for the many times it will be empty.

I just transferred customer data to a new machine, and Fabs nicely created an EdgeExport file. I went into Edge and manually did the import and found there was nothing imported.

Is there any way to detect that there were no favourites exported and log that without leaving the file on the desktop? This would save the manual import step for the many times it will be empty.
I should add a routine that parses the file so it would do that check. For now, just open the file with a double click and see if there's something in it

Well, I've worked a bit around this. Here's what I've done :
- The download prompt for EdgeExport tool has been moved to the job summary page. When this page appears, then the prompt shows up. If download is denied, an error is written to the log saying that EdgeExport is missing and that the Edge Favorites item has been skipped for that job.
- The exported Edge favorites HTML file is read just before it's copied to its final location. if it does not contain data, then file is not copied and this is recorded in the log as an informational message. I'm about to release that officially to not let too much copies in the wild and people get fixed version instead.

It's out : Fab's AutoBackup 7 Home & Office and Fab's AutoBackup 7 Pro 7.1.0.1001 released.

Change log:
Added:
- Ability to check if exported Edge favorites HTML file contains favorites or not. If there is nothing, that file is not even kept. This prevents from importing manually an empty file when it's not needed.
Fixed:
- Prompt for EdgeExport tool download has been moved to summary page instead of showing up upon job type choice. If download is declined, Edge Favorites will not be processed and an error is written to the log.

Grab it from your orders history's details on the shop's website at https://store.fpnet.fr/account.php?language=en or using the bundled updater tool (click the "Download Fab's AutoBackup 7.X" link within the program and get the updated files).

Thanks @fabs!
It works well, apart from one minor bug: if you choose backup and the first screen has Edge Favorites unticked (due to saved setting from a previous run), when ticked it prompts to download if EdgeExport if missing which is fine, but when proceeding to the launch page the Edge Favorites option doesn't run.

Thanks @fabs!
It works well, apart from one minor bug: if you choose backup and the first screen has Edge Favorites unticked (due to saved setting from a previous run), when ticked it prompts to download if EdgeExport if missing which is fine, but when proceeding to the launch page the Edge Favorites option doesn't run.
Bug, maybe, maybe not! If the tool is not downloaded from this prompt, edge item remains unticked. Then it's ok isn't it?

Thinking about it, while it's not a problem if dealing with a single user profile backup, it can become one if there are more to process : if download is declined then fine, Edge item is unchecked but only for that user profile. It remains selected for any other. After that, there is another download prompt at job summary show up, this time, download is granted. Problem, Edge item is still unchecked for that first user and does not get processed. I've not tested that scenario yet but it cannot stay like that. Sounds like another update is around the corner...

Last edited:
Back