Fab's AutoBackup 7 Pro - a must have tool for techs

Bug, maybe, maybe not! If the tool is not downloaded from this prompt, edge item remains unticked. Then it's ok isn't it?
No, I did agree to the download and it remained ticked but ignored on the launch.

My discovered bug is minor (because it was unticked from a previous session which might be unusual). Your theoretical bug is kind of minor too so I wouldn't think you need to rush out a fix.

No, I did agree to the download and it remained ticked but ignored on the launch.
Then it's not so minor in my opinion as you explicitly said that you wanted Edge favorites to be grabbed and they weren't

Last edited:
I was trying to test it by deselecting, completing a run, then starting again and selecting the option. Sure it needs to be fixed but no need to 'burn the midnight oil' :)

I was trying to test it by deselecting, completing a run, then starting again and selecting the option. Sure it needs to be fixed but no need to 'burn the midnight oil' :)
I agree, in this conditions, that's not really a big deal. I have some other couple of things to look at. No rush

Hi,
Fab's AutoBackup 7 Home & Office and Fab's AutoBackup 7 Pro V7.1.1.1105 have just been released.

Change log:
Fixed:
- Important : When restrictive permissions were set on a subfolder, Fab's AutoBackup could miss their content because it could not get access to it. When such a folder is encountered, it throws an error if permissions could not be adjusted.
- VSS snapshots are now used only if they're needed like backing up Outlook files while Outlook is running for example. If it's not needed, regular copy is performed instead.
- Improved Microsoft Edge favorites export feature's general behavior.
- Some odd things with translation files : the program can now remove by itself any "conflicted" language file that could be there an avoid translation bugs at startup.

Grab it from your orders history's details on the shop's website at https://store.fpnet.fr/account.php?language=en or using the bundled updater tool (click the "Download Fab's AutoBackup 7.X" link within the program and get the updated files).

Thanks fabs.

So VSS was used for every file? Would that explain why folders with huge numbers of small files take so long to copy?
Yes, a snapshot of the entire drive was taken before copy began. That said, folders with huge amount of small files are always slow to copy, VSS or not

Yes, a snapshot of the entire drive was taken before copy began. That said, folders with huge amount of small files are always slow to copy, VSS or not
Yep. Massive amounts of disk thrashing. I'm SURE fabs can't do anything about it, because he is restrained within the confines of Windows for the most part.

Here's something I just ran into. Customer has a new PC and an old dead PC. I pull the drive from the dead PC and connect via USB adapter and run Fabs. Which profile from the dead drive do I pick?

I'd rather not browse the drive from Explorer as it'll make me take ownership. When doing a "Transfer" Fabs won't show me the copy size. (Guess that's only for Backup) . I know I could boot a Windows PC from a Windows PE disk of some sort and browse the c:\users\username folders, but hoping there's a simpler approach for next time?

In situations like this I often run Treesize Portable (as administrator) which shows how much data there is in each profile, and allows browsing the folders within the profiles without the delay of taking ownership.

Yep. Massive amounts of disk thrashing. I'm SURE fabs can't do anything about it, because he is restrained within the confines of Windows for the most part.
Sure, there is nothing to do to speed up small file process. Basically, each file on a drive comes with an index that says where is this file on the disk, so, it's always slower to copy 1000 small files (1 file and 1 index remember) than 1 single same size file (same size but only 1 index). SSDs are better for this but there's still a struggle anyway. Things can really get awful with spinners with the head always moving from index area to data area. This is how drives work, I can't change that.

Last edited:
Here's something I just ran into. Customer has a new PC and an old dead PC. I pull the drive from the dead PC and connect via USB adapter and run Fabs. Which profile from the dead drive do I pick?

I'd rather not browse the drive from Explorer as it'll make me take ownership. When doing a "Transfer" Fabs won't show me the copy size. (Guess that's only for Backup) . I know I could boot a Windows PC from a Windows PE disk of some sort and browse the c:\users\username folders, but hoping there's a simpler approach for next time?
Yes, showing size to copy is only for backup. In a first place, it's here to help knowing if there enough free space on backup drive before copy process can begin. However, some techs charge by transferred GB and this helps them to know how much that will cost to the customer.
In case of a direct transfer, I would say that the hardest part of the job is done (sometimes, pulling a drive can be a pain right ?) and how much data to charge for is not the main concern anymore.

About which profile to pick, a good clue is its modification date in the explorer. You should be able to know that without taking ownership of any folder just by looking in Hooked_Drive_Letter:\Users folder. usually, the closest modification date is the one you are looking for.

Fabs 7.1.1.1105
Windows 10 Pro - Version 1909
Routine backup of regular user.
VSS option is checked.

Immediately after creating the VSS snapshot the system has spent the last hour "Taking ownership of C:\VSS_C_ShadowCopy\" (then every user folder selected is flashing by very slowly...).

This is on a system with a Samsung 860 SSD and I don't recall this ever happening before.

Fabs 7.1.1.1105
Windows 10 Pro - Version 1909
Routine backup of regular user.
VSS option is checked.

Immediately after creating the VSS snapshot the system has spent the last hour "Taking ownership of C:\VSS_C_ShadowCopy\" (then every user folder selected is flashing by very slowly...).

This is on a system with a Samsung 860 SSD and I don't recall this ever happening before.
Have you checked the entire C drive within additional folders ?
Can you please run that how with debug mode enabled ?
To enable debug mode, right click title bar and select "debug mode". Just launch the job then cancel it. Fill the debug feedback form when closing the program and I will get diagnostic files straight to my mailbox

Last edited:
Have you checked the entire C drive within additional folders ?
Can you please run that how with debug mode enabled ?
To enable debug mode, right click title bar and select "debug mode". Just launch the job then cancel it. Fill the debug feedback form when closing the program and I will get diagnostic files straight to my mailbox

"No" to the first question. Debug report sent! I disabled the real-time AV scanning the 2nd time around but it didn't make a difference to the "Taking ownership" messages.

"No" to the first question. Debug report sent! I disabled the real-time AV scanning the 2nd time around but it didn't make a difference to the "Taking ownership" messages.
I got debug feedback. I'll investigate this ASAP. So far, you obviously found a bug. Now, I need to find out where it is and release a fix

Back