DDrescue Gui keeps unmounting source

ell

Reaction score
Hi, no idea why this is happening. I boot into a win 8 machine from my easy2boot multidrive, run parted magic and mount source (C) and my usb target drive. I start Ddrescue GUI and select to make img in folder on target, no probs, it starts the read and shows it is reading a ton of files, but 0 are recoverable, I check and the source is unmounted, I stop everything and mount it again, try again, once again the drive is unmounted. The drive are fine, just wanting to image for formatted recovery. What am I missing here?

The source drive shouldn't be mounted for ddrescue, but addressed by its device reference (/dev/sdx). You shouldn't be trying to view the mounted filesystem at the same time. Neither is ddrescue a file recovery utility – it knows nothing of the filesystem nor the files in it. It just makes sector copies and puts them in an image of the source drive. It's up to you, using other tools, to subsequently recover the files from the image.

Mounting a failing drive has great potential for making things worse.

Disclaimer: I have never used Parted Magic nor a ddrescue gui.

Hi, no idea why this is happening. I boot into a win 8 machine from my easy2boot multidrive, run parted magic and mount source (C) and my usb target drive. I start Ddrescue GUI and select to make img in folder on target, no probs, it starts the read and shows it is reading a ton of files, but 0 are recoverable, I check and the source is unmounted, I stop everything and mount it again, try again, once again the drive is unmounted. The drive are fine, just wanting to image for formatted recovery. What am I missing here?
don't mount it. if the gui can't image an unmounted drive then you need to learn the command line.

Reactions: NJW
Don't even bother with the GUI...

ddrescue [from] [to] [log] [options]
ddrescue /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /media/root/recovery/log.log -d -r0 --force <--change your paths to match your system. Second nature now.

Reactions: NJW
Back