[SOLVED] USB 3.0 64GB PNY Flash Drives not recognized

Altster

Reaction score
Last Christmas I received 6 - 64GB USB 3.0 PNY Elite Turbo (Grey) Flash Drives. I was able to mount and use the drives at first but after awhile, neither my Win7 Pro x64 box nor my Linux Mint 18 computers would mount the drives (memory sticks). As of this writing my Linux box will recognize the units, but still will not mount the drives. I would really like to be able to format and use these units but I'm at a loss as to how to make them work with either of the O/S's I have at my fingertips.

I plugged one of the units into my Windows 7 computer and am prompted with the message that this drive must be formatted before it can be used – and this message window keeps popping open continuously. The only way I can get the message to quit is to pull the drive out of the computers’ USB port.

If any of you have any ideas, I’m all ears. I’d really like to be able to use these units again!

And in case you are wondering, I don’t have a receipt for the units. Otherwise I would attempt to return them to PNY. AND as I recall, all 6 units appeared to be packaged in the original PNY packaging.

Additional Info-

Info from Linux Mint 18.3 “Disks” utility

Model: PNY USB 3.0 FD (1100)
Size: 67 GB (67,429,728,256 bytes)
S/N: AA640922D0000013

Size: 67 GB (67,429,728,256 bytes)
Device: /dev/sdc
Contents: Unknown

Error creating file system: Command-line `mkntfs -f -F -L "PNY USB 3.0" "/dev/sdc"' exited with non-zero exit status 1:
stdout: `Cluster size has been automatically set to 4096 bytes.
Creating NTFS volume structures.
'
stderr: `/dev/sdc is entire device, not just one partition.
mkntfs forced anyway.
Error writing to /dev/sdc: Input/output error
Error writing non-resident attribute value.
add_attr_sd failed: Input/output error
Couldn't create root directory: Input/output error
' (udisks-error-quark, 0)

When I run the Linux command "dmseg" this is just a small portion of the info I get:

[ 4243.229221] sd 9:0:0:0: [sdc] tag#0 FAILED Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[ 4243.229225] sd 9:0:0:0: [sdc] tag#0 Sense Key : Not Ready [current]
[ 4243.229229] sd 9:0:0:0: [sdc] tag#0 Add. Sense: Medium not present
[ 4243.229233] sd 9:0:0:0: [sdc] tag#0 CDB: Read(10) 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00
[ 4243.229235] blk_update_request: 5 callbacks suppressed
[ 4243.229237] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 0
[ 4243.229244] FAT-fs (sdc): unable to read boot sector

Maybe someone will have some ideas from this info. If you need anything else, let me know.

Last edited:
I plugged one of the units into my Windows 7 computer and am prompted with the message that this drive must be formatted before it can be used – and this message window keeps popping open continuously.

Not to be captain obvious, but did you try formatting? Does the drive show up in disk manager at all?

I've been able to recover drives like this occasionally by doing a low level format to them. Using Lowvel or DBAN usually.

AS Krynn72 stated, I've got drives like this working again after doing a LLF.
I use an external floppy drive with the Fujitsu LLF.

I've used this one in the past as well.

Some info and commands here.

Last edited:
Can't format if it won't mount.
Of course you can. Indeed, gparted, for example, won't let you do anything to a mounted partition.

Error creating file system: Command-line `mkntfs -f -F -L "PNY USB 3.0" "/dev/sdc"' exited with non-zero exit status 1:
stdout: `Cluster size has been automatically set to 4096 bytes.
Creating NTFS volume structures.
'
stderr: `/dev/sdc is entire device, not just one partition.
(My emphasis.) You can't make a filesystem on a complete volume, only on a partition. You have to make the partition first, then format the partition (e.g., "/dev/sdc1").

Though I suspect that your USB drives have failed. Are they genuine PNY drives? Same result in USB2 and USB 3 port?

Last edited:
Though I suspect that your USB drives have failed. Are they genuine PNY drives? Same result in USB2 and USB 3 port?
Same results. I set one up in my USB 3.0 hub before I left this morning and no joy. I had taken one apart last night (just because I could) to see what if anything I could short out to try and wake it up (never hurts to try) and of course nothing!

Oh well. Live & learn I reckon.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

(I changed the title to "Solved" even though I was unable to do so...)

Back