[REQUEST] Seagate 2TB external HD won't read

InHomeComputerHelp.com

Reaction score
Using Linux Mint and a powered USB 3.0 hub and starting with the HD plugged in I was able to get it to show in the computer folder. It will not, however mount. Plugging it directly into the USB port caused a low beeping which I believe indicated not enough power. Research showed as the HDs get older (2 years old) they may need more power to mount. Thus unplugging everything from the 3.0 hub except the external HD finally got it to at least show up.

In Windows the external hard drive did not show up on disk manager. It also would not list using the command line from disk manager list disks.

The computer even locked up on me while I was right in the middle of typing this which is very unusual. This happened while the external hard drive was plugged into the 3.0 hub.

The client told me it went bad about a week or two ago and she has important pictures in their naturally. She reported that it did show up on Windows but she couldn't open any files it appeared to be empty.

I appreciate any help thank you.

Rick

PS Got an input/output error running Gparted

Last edited:
Is the data on the drive of any value to the client? Drives don't require more power as they get older.

Either way, if your client values the data, this is not the time to experiment and learn. This is a good time to reach out to your data recovery lab partner while it is still recoverable.
Has photos that she wants.

Has photos that she wants.

Then pass that drive along to a data recovery professional. While it's out for recovery, have the client get a backup drive (they'll also probably need to get one for the recovery, depending on who you're using). Once the data is back, spend the time to get a backup protocol in place for the client so this can never happen again.

If there exists only one original, and no backup copies, of anything you're just flirting with disaster if the original is of critical importance. It's interesting just how often the digital family photo album becomes the focus of the most intense recovery efforts.

Back