Speeding up ddrescue

connected via ethernet (wired) to the same router as the PC

45Mb/s is pretty normal speed to see over GiB ethernet. That's about the most you can possibly expect. There's no need to rush over to the Synology forum, you can't make ethernet faster than it actually is.

So unless your NAS and computer can be upgraded to support 10GiB or combine multiple NICs and aggregate them, you can't speed that up any.

What you might consider, if you want to keep using ddrescue is to just save the images to an external USB 3.0 drive and then plug that into the back of the NAS and copy them over that way during the night.

But, ultimately direct attached storage is the best way to save HDD images in mass quantities.
upload_2018-4-16_17-32-37.png

That's why I've got 96Tb worth of RAID directly attached to my computer.

I'm not real familiar with RAID arrays attached directly to a machine. How is the attachment done? (eSATA?)

Harry Z
You are gonna need to activate it in BIOS for the on-board RAID controller (assuming your board has one).. this usually STOPS SATA operation.. so either SATA or RAID.

The other option is to purchase a dedicated RAID controller card(s), which tends to be the faster, more stable and preferred method.

You are gonna need to activate it in BIOS for the on-board RAID controller (assuming your board has one).. this usually STOPS SATA operation.. so either SATA or RAID.

The other option is to purchase a dedicated RAID controller card(s), which tends to be the faster, more stable and preferred method.

Mahalo!

I'm not real familiar with RAID arrays attached directly to a machine. How is the attachment done? (eSATA?)

Harry Z

No, I've got an Areca 1880ix RAID card right in my computer's PCIe slot. 8 SAS drives are directly connected inside the case and that's one RAID array. Then I've got an external enclosure with SFF-8088 cable going to it and that has another 16 SAS drives inside of it. Copying from one RAID to the other I can sustain speeds over 720Mb/s.

Back