My Weekend of *ell.

I use HDClone9 it has the ability to recover data same way ddrescue works skips bad sectors 1st pass can also make a VM image of your choice from a storage device great for dos or windows 3.1 or xp images of custom software runs in a custom version of Linux.

Version 9 can clone any storage medium to SSD or NvMe with no issues i have done so many without any problems its worth the money i use to use Acronis is so limited compared to HDClone9.
HDClone9 adjusts image automatically to make solid state device bootable never let me down 100% success rate.

I was doing a bunch of clones to smaller (250GB) SSDs after shrinking the partition in Windows down to around 200GB, but there have been enough headaches with it that it just makes more sense to go the extra $15-20 for the 500GB drive. There's plenty of low-hanging fruit to clean up, but once you throw in the waiting while you run Disk Cleanup as an admin to clean up old updates and such, then disabling the pagefile and hibernation in an effort to address those last few unmovable files, etc. it's just a headache that can easily chew an extra 20-40 minutes of somewhat hands-on time, just to get down to a small-enough partition.

Sure there are other ways to do it like booting to a partition manager that can do the shrink while the drive is offline, but those seem to mostly trigger a chkdsk at the next boot, so that's still more time waiting.

Better to just go with the larger drives.

I used to do 250s as a minimum, because I had too many issues with the 120s running out of space. But around early Q4 last year I stopped doing 250s and started doing 500s because of the above. The 500gb drive is large enough for just about any purpose, and it just doesn't make sense to shave $20 off going down to the 250gb.

The prices above that are largely irrelevant for my purposes, though I'm happy to see them continue to fall. I'd love the 4TB drives to not be so stupid, because that means SSDs for backups, the last bastion of platters would be gone.

Yes, it is their responsibility but yet they blame you because you changed the computer they used for years.
Aaand that's when I fire a client. You'll only get treated like this if you accept that treatment. That being said, it's important that you warn them ahead of time that if they don't have the licenses/install files that they'll have to purchase the program again. Nobody loves nasty surprises.

In a perfect world, yes. Most do not have the source disks or key codes for all the programs they own. Yes, it is their responsibility but yet they blame you because you changed the computer they used for years. Not a position I like to be in when doing an upgrade rather than re-install would have alleviated the blame game.

How true this really is. The key keeping was part of a secretaries job. Well, In short, She was fired. Now I have a bunch of installs with no keys. What makes things worse is that I found out that since Office 3013 Microshaft does not keep the key on the computer. Whats worse is that when ever I go to sites like M$ I can never find what I need and I have to wade thru a bunch of BS pages to find something hidden away or I get redirected to different sites for information and such.

I am really glad I live in the Linux world. Anyways, Your post is spot on!

Ok, I have a battle plan here. Its kinda crazy that something I have done for years with no issues is becoming a real headache.

I think what the problem is - The original drives are legacy with secure boot off. When I add the new drive in and boot up the new drive is probably set to UEFI or / and the situation that the original drives other settings verses the new drive - AHCI / IDE / RAID. I will be checking those settings a lot closer when I go this weekend. Just my theory right now. Probably outdated bios issue.

To my pain, I have two Dells in there that have only one single power connector for a hard drive. The DVD drive has a two wire power connector. So, I will be taking my external USB breadbox with me, Install the SSD and put the old drive in the BB. Then I will clone it over.

On two of the computers I did do a fresh install after backing up with FABS. This took forever with the license issues. Even getting the installation software out of MS was a pain. Then I had a bunch of third party stuff to install. Adobe is not fun either.

Personally, I think its more cost effective to clone the drive and not have to put up with the installation issues. I know they should keep track of their licenses and all but @Diggs is spot on about this.

<rant>

So, Microsoft, Adobe thinks your should store your data on their servers. Are they on crack???? They have to be! The last thing a Lawyer or Client wants is there data floating around on the web. Then everyone says "Ah, Dont worry. Its really secure". Yeah, Right. Its only secure because they never talk about their break ins. Its bad for business. Probably down the road a year some news site will find out and publish it. Then you will hear from M$ or Adobe "Gee, Yes it did happen. But we think everything is ok.". How would they know? If everything was ok why didnt they come out with it in the beginning???

<\rant>

Ok, Gonna go relax. This thread is probably just surge off topic. Thats ok. Its not the first time anyone has ever disagreed with me right? ;)

Have a great week everyone,

Just want to update this thread. I did a quick run up to my client to check some things out on the computers that I have been having issues with cloning. I didnt have much time because the weather was deteriorating thru the day. Temps dropping, Raining hard and freezing rain expected with snow afterwards.

I used the Macrium Reflect bootable usb to boot up from. I had both drives hooked up and did a clone from the spinner to the new SSD drive. Both are 1tb drives. Everything went correctly and no errors. On boot up I again got as far as the login screen and then BSOD with the E1 error.

In the other office I have another dell. Newer. However, The thing only supports one drive. So, I used a external single drive bay connected via usb3 to clone too. After the cloning it booted up just fine. No issues.

I think this is just a Bios issue and the other computers I am having an issue with will need a bios update. I do know that I can put in a SSD in those computers and just do a full install of windows 10 no problem. Its just the cloning that they do not like.

I rushed back home (1.5 hour trip) doing my best to beat the falling temps and the rain was turning to ice. :( . I kinda felt like one of those disaster movies - One of my tire pressure sensors is acting up and also my back passenger ABS has developed an issue - lol.

I have five computers to finish up at this client. Today Im just going to relax and do a bit of remoting in and checking bios updates.

I bet that will be the issue.

Just want to update this thread. I did a quick run up to my client to check some things out on the computers that I have been having issues with cloning. I didnt have much time because the weather was deteriorating thru the day. Temps dropping, Raining hard and freezing rain expected with snow afterwards.

I used the Macrium Reflect bootable usb to boot up from. I had both drives hooked up and did a clone from the spinner to the new SSD drive. Both are 1tb drives. Everything went correctly and no errors. On boot up I again got as far as the login screen and then BSOD with the E1 error.

In the other office I have another dell. Newer. However, The thing only supports one drive. So, I used a external single drive bay connected via usb3 to clone too. After the cloning it booted up just fine. No issues.

I think this is just a Bios issue and the other computers I am having an issue with will need a bios update. I do know that I can put in a SSD in those computers and just do a full install of windows 10 no problem. Its just the cloning that they do not like.

I rushed back home (1.5 hour trip) doing my best to beat the falling temps and the rain was turning to ice. :( . I kinda felt like one of those disaster movies - One of my tire pressure sensors is acting up and also my back passenger ABS has developed an issue - lol.

I have five computers to finish up at this client. Today Im just going to relax and do a bit of remoting in and checking bios updates.

I bet that will be the issue.
Did BIOS updates fix your troubles on these? Also, what are you using to remote in and fiddle with the BIOS?

Did BIOS updates fix your troubles on these? Also, what are you using to remote in and fiddle with the BIOS?
I havent been here in a long time. However, I got the email of your question and wanted to reply to you.

There was certainly something peanuty about the Dell computers. What I ultimately did to get them up and running is after a clone to the new ssd drive and having windows only load to the login screen, I rebooted from a live linux usb and replaced the windows OS partition files with those from the old drive. I hope that makes sense.

Never figured out the real issue. I remember when I took over the account I replaced all the users computers with these new dell ones. So, They are all basically the same except for one or two that were replaced later on. Some did fine and some had this problem.

Back