Computer migration/transfer procedure

Ben Guenther

Reaction score
Hi,

We run a computer repair/MSP shop and we have always been doing our computer transfers manually and i am wondering how most people do it.

Very often we will remotely connect to the old computer to gather information: We will take screen shots of the old computer for things like desktop, printers, installed programs, outlook/thunderbird layout, quickbooks company files paths, and much more. Then the user can keep using their computer while we prepare the new with software installs etc....

Then we have them bring us their computer (or we go onsite) and we manually copy the user folders and all other custom folders that might be in use. We finish installing any remaining software, printers etc... on the new computer reconfigure all the software so it points back to the right path and often spend from 3-8 hours per computer getting it replaced and made and exactly like the old one did with all data and settings in place.

I was searching on this forum some and seen Fab's Autobackup which i might check out it seems like that might save some time. I did also come across SIW program that could be useful in exporting list like product keys, applications installed seeing the file shares etc....

We have about 5 technicians and do several transfers per week.

How do others do it?

FABs is pretty much the standard here with the author an active member to help answer questions and provide information.

You can check it out but it will transfer and restore the desktop, settings, documents, pictures, favorites, etc., etc., etc. You can pretty well take an old Win7 install, let FABs do it's work and dump the results into Win11 and have a delighted customer.

Oh - Here's our never ending thread where we discuss all things FABs - https://www.technibble.com/forums/threads/fabs-autobackup-7-pro-a-must-have-tool-for-techs.78308/

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast response. I like it.
I am trying out Fabs right now with high expectations ;)

Any suggestion on if i just need to gather data for now? In the case where i dont have the old computer with me yet and i am just preparing the new computer.

Thanks for the fast response. I like it.
I am trying out Fabs right now with high expectations ;)

Any suggestion on if i just need to gather data for now? In the case where i dont have the old computer with me yet and i am just preparing the new computer.
Same answer FABS. You point the destination to a flash drive and it creates an entire directory structure of all the data. It can be used later to restore to the other PC. Even when I have the PCs side by side that is MY usual method. I don't tend to use the transfer via network mode as if there is a problem no copy of the file is made. My method is both a backup and a transfer of the data.

There's a bunch of little things you will like. You can go into its saved files (under Public) and see what the old system was defaulting to for browser, email, document handling, etc. Makes setting up the new computer for your customer much easier. Also, FABs can back up multiple profiles and gives you a place to include other files not normally associated with that users account (hint-hint check root - does this customer have music/movies etc. stored outside his account on that machine).

I will chime in also to create a bcackup image as well with Macrium Reflect.

I love Macrium Reflect, and have recommended (and installed) Macrium Reflect Free on many client's machines over the years. But for those considering doing this now (and I do mean for the Free edition, not paid) be aware that it reaches EOL at the end of 2023 (if memory serves).

One of the main reasons I've stopped recommending Macrium Reflect to non-professionals is that I don't like unsupported software of any kind, and backup software in particular, to be used.

If you're going to use the paid version, you really won't find much that's better (though many are on the same plane), but if you're recommending something to home users it's probably better to go with Paragon, EaseUS To Do, or other full system image backup utilities that have "free for home use" versions.

EASUS products are useless similar to mcafee for real hard drive backup.

Speak for yourself. I have found EaseUS To Do backup to be a stellar performer over a long period of time, and for home users I prefer it because the UI is so easy to deal with. I've done a number of recoveries from EaseUS To Do backups with nary a hitch.

I had often wished it were accessible via screen reader, too, but, alas, it's never been. I used Macrium Reflect with my blind clients because I could tell them how to take a backup using the screen reader with Macrium Reflect. I'm now in the process of getting together material for doing the same with Paragon.

See that is the issue they lock one into a sub - your case 3 damn years?

I don't know if you're serious or not, but FABs doesn't "lock you" into anything.

If you purchase the one-year you'll get whatever updates may occur for one year, but it's my understanding that the software continues to work, sans any improvements, even after that year is over. I'm sure @fabs can refute me if I'm wrong.

The 3-year option only extends the length of time you will get updates, and for a slightly reduced price per year.

But no matter what, I believe you have a functioning tool "as functioning at the point of its last update" for as long as you want to use it in that state.

There's a bunch of little things you will like. You can go into its saved files (under Public) and see what the old system was defaulting to for browser, email, document handling, etc. Makes setting up the new computer for your customer much easier. Also, FABs can back up multiple profiles and gives you a place to include other files not normally associated with that users account (hint-hint check root - does this customer have music/movies etc. stored outside his account on that machine).
So is the typical use to run it off a usb stick? I had to activate (put in email and order number) the first time after installing it on the source computer.

You would start the backup and while thats running you would install all the needed software on the target computer so its ready for when you want to do the restore?

So is the typical use to run it off a usb stick?

Yes, since it's a portable program.

The typical thing is download, get the folder that is your "master Fabs program folder" set up, and activate the software there. You can then copy that folder, wholesale, to as many thumb drives, SD cards, or other portable media that you like, and the fully licensed version is ready for you to use when you need it.

So is the typical use to run it off a usb stick?
I run it off a 2TB external drive and use that drive for temporary customer data storage then use that same drive to transfer the data to the new machine and/or on to my DAS for long term storage. (I try to keep customer backups for 90 days or so just to be sure they have no problems.)

You can also pull the customer drive from the machine and dock it on one of your bench machines. Run FABs on just the drive. The original machine does not need to be working.

I run it off a 2TB external drive and use that drive for temporary customer data storage then use that same drive to transfer the data to the new machine and/or on to my DAS for long term storage. (I try to keep customer backups for 90 days or so just to be sure they have no problems.)

You can also pull the customer drive from the machine and dock it on one of your bench machines. Run FABs on just the drive. The original machine does not need to be working.
Great, I think i especially appreciate it for none booting computers.

Back