[SOLVED] Computer Won't Boot

Appletax

Reaction score
Solved: replaced the mobo.

Custom gaming PC put together by client.

They upgraded the CPU from a Ryzen 5 2600 to a Ryzen 7 5800X and the PSU from an EVGA 500W to a LC Power 750w. It would not output video / POST. Put old parts back in and same issue. It turns on for approx. 20 seconds and then restarts.

They gave me the computer and parts in a box. The case was laying on the new CPU, which bent 20+ pins, which likely destroyed it.

• Old CPU, Ryzen 5 2600, currently installed - does not have bent pins.
  • Tested PSU (LC Power 750w) - no issues. Tried old PSU (EVGA 500w).
  • Moved RAM from slots B1, B2 to A2, B2 per manual instructions.
  • Removed PCIe 1x Wi-Fi adapter. Removed the SATA SSD.
  • Re-seated GPU (EVGA RTX - maybe a 3060 - half the sticker on it is cut off).
  • The old CPU was installed with the heatsink not fully screwed in. No bent pins.
  • Unable to try a different graphics card as I have to purchase one again for testing purposes. CPU does not have integrated graphics.
  • Still reboots every ~30 seconds even with GPU removed.
  • The single case fan's power cable is cut.
  • Missing 6 out of 8 motherboard standoff screws.

They might have gotten some thermal paste on the CPU socket:

20221228_204240271_iOS.jpg

I think the motherboard might need to be replaced.

Current board is an ASRock B450M Pro4.

Last edited:
LOL. Time to replace the motherboard and processor. I've unbent pins before but with 20+ bent pins who knows if they'll all make proper contact afterwards? No way I'm taking responsibility for that.

If the thing wouldn't POST before the CPU pins got bent, my guess is the board needs a BIOS update before being able to support Ryzen 5000 processors. Either way, replace the CPU and motherboard!

LOL. Time to replace the motherboard and processor. I've unbent pins before but with 20+ bent pins who knows if they'll all make proper contact afterwards? No way I'm taking responsibility for that.

If the thing wouldn't POST before the CPU pins got bent, my guess is the board needs a BIOS update before being able to support Ryzen 5000 processors. Either way, replace the CPU and motherboard!

The old CPU, a Ryzen 5 2600, is installed just fine with no bent pins.

So, perhaps just the motherboard is fried?

So, perhaps just the motherboard is fried?
Possibly. You're going to have to test parts individually to see if they work. If you're not equipped for this then this is going to be a PITA of a job. I keep pretty much everything in stock so I can throw that 2600 CPU and RAM into a motherboard and see if it POSTs. Then I'd test the power supply and GPU. Actually I'd probably test the power supply before I do anything because that's one of the new parts he got. Maybe it's defective.

@nlinecomputers @frase I dunno guys I get jobs like this all the time. So long as the client is willing to just dump the mess in your lap and follow your recommendations there's no reason not to work on something like this. Find the bad parts and replace them. It's pretty simple, actually. Have a talk with the client, let them know that they don't know WTF they're doing and if they accept that they made a mistake and are willing to pay you to do whatever it takes to fix their mess then this can be a very profitable job.

Given the careless nature with the CPU I am inclined to believe something was done wrong on install to fry the board otherwise I would think it was just a BIOS compatibility issue wit the newer CPU. I would like someone suggested also test the PSU though since both old and new are doing it the single common point of failure I can see would be the MB.

The customer OK'd having me replace the mobo. Will post back here with results.

The mobo does require BIOS 4.60+ to support Ryzen 5000 series, so that may be why it did not work with the new Ryzen 7 5800X.

So long as the client is willing to just dump the mess in your lap and follow your recommendations there's no reason not to work on something like this.
They never do around here. They don’t have the money to spend to buy 2/3 of the PC again because they were stupid. And if they do, there next bit of stupidity gets blamed on you. I can’t warranty what I replace unless I build it all.

I’ve not seen a BIOS update brick a mobo in 20 years. This is idiot end user mishandling the parts.
Most have so many safe guards against it so I am not saying it should be high on the list as it should be difficult to do that but from here I certainly can't rule it out.

They don’t have the money to spend to buy 2/3 of the PC again because they were stupid.
Whether they have it or not, if they want a working computer again they'll have to cough up the cash to get it fixed. It's probably because of my market but although no client is happy to have to spend 50% or more of what the computer they just bought originally cost in order to get it fixed, they're so frustrated and desperate to get their computer working that they're willing to pay.

The client ordered a mobo and didn't tell me. They stopped by with it unexpectedly. They were nice and apologized as I already ordered a board (which I am trying to cancel on eBay).

Found that their current mobo has 2 out of 8 standoffs installed. Wow. So they were installing things the require pressure like PSU cables and RAM, etc. with hardly any support on the back of the board.

Back