[SOLVED] Lenovo Desktop Won't Output To Display / Shuts Down

Yes.

Are you certain your monitor is working?

Ok. I didn't see it listed in the shipped parts.
Monitor works great. I was able to use it with this PC using my own known good GPU.

Specs shown on the PC case, but no GPU listed. On Lenovo's website, I cannot find the exact list of specs for this PC.

Last edited:
I will let the customer know the GPU is cooked and a replacement (used) is $60 on eBay. New = $89.

Rather they went with a 1050 Ti 4GB, but that is around $200.

Last edited:
A conclusion has been reached: the graphics card is fried.

----------

Lenovo IdeaCentre 720-18ASU Desktop

Serial Number: R303WHSG

Machine Type Model: 90H1000FUS

Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Quad-Core, EVGA GT 730 2GB, 8GB DDR4-2400MHz, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Home.

C/S: Computer has been turning off randomly, especially when playing video games and watching videos. Performance has been declining. Ongoing issue for 7+ months.

EVGA GT 730 has Dual DVI & mini-HDMI. There are no integrated graphics.

I cannot get it to output to my display. My display only has HDMI and DisplayPort ports.

I used a DVI to HDMI adapter on both DVI outputs. Used a mini HDMI to HDMI adapter. Cleaned the bottom of the GPU connecting circuits with 99% alcohol.

Installed an old AMD Radeon HD 7450 1GB and it works.

I tried testing the PSU w/ PSU tester, but it does not have a standard 20/24 pin connector. Not sure how to test w/ multimeter. Ideally, would test it under a load (no clue how to do that).

PSU is a HuntKey (sounds cheap/Chinesium) HK350-12PP. Outputs 250 watts. GPU runs off PCIe bus (no external power).

Tested PSU with multimeter under NO load and voltages are good.

HDD SMART is good.

Tested RAM with MemTest86. Successfully passed 4 passes in 2 hours 16 minutes.

A previous tech replaced the heatsink fan.

There's dust buildup, but it's not terrible.

Ran Prime95 for 17 hours with 0 issues.
Thank you for editing your initial post to let us know the resolution. That kind of thing is very helpful to us!

Are you saying that even though it has (3) video ports, it can only support (2) monitors?

While I don't know the exact model of the GT 730 in that system, I did find an EVGA model that matches your description.

01G-P3-2731-KR​

Which has 128bit DDR3. And according to GT730 specs a DDR3 128bit card can only support 2 displays. While the other two memory configurations support 3 displays.

If you are ever unsure best to google the model and find out. They could have done a better job like putting some indication on the ports as to which are shared, or not. Maybe they are not shared and you can use any combination of two ports. For sure would make life easier if they could put a marking somewhere for whoever comes across down the line.

This computer is having issues again.

Customer states: "Unfortunately on Tuesday night, it seemed to have corrupted itself(?) somehow, and through investigation I figured out that it now lacks a system image, any backup of a system image, & will not load anything other than a black screen with cursor outside of safe mode.

She reset the computer (not a fresh, clean install with USB installer).

I have it now and it's running just fine in normal mode. Tuesday = patch Tuesday so perhaps a Windows update borked the system?

Tested the RAM, PSU, and HDD - no issues found.

Back