[SOLVED] Lenovo Desktop Won't Output To Display / Shuts Down

Appletax

Reaction score
Solved: the graphics card is fried.

----------
Lenovo IdeaCentre 720-18ASU Desktop

Serial Number: R303WHSG

Machine Type Model: 90H1000FUS

Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Quad-Core, EVGA GT 730 2GB, 8GB DDR4-2400MHz, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Home.

C/S: Computer has been turning off randomly, especially when playing video games and watching videos. Performance has been declining. Ongoing issue for 7+ months.

EVGA GT 730 has Dual DVI & mini-HDMI. There are no integrated graphics.

I cannot get it to output to my display. My display only has HDMI and DisplayPort ports.

I used a DVI to HDMI adapter on both DVI outputs. Used a mini HDMI to HDMI adapter. Cleaned the bottom of the GPU connecting circuits with 99% alcohol.

Installed an old AMD Radeon HD 7450 1GB and it works.

I tried testing the PSU w/ PSU tester, but it does not have a standard 20/24 pin connector. Not sure how to test w/ multimeter. Ideally, would test it under a load (no clue how to do that).

PSU is a HuntKey (sounds cheap/Chinesium) HK350-12PP. Outputs 250 watts. GPU runs off PCIe bus (no external power).

Tested PSU with multimeter under NO load and voltages are good.

HDD SMART is good.

Tested RAM with MemTest86. Successfully passed 4 passes in 2 hours 16 minutes.

A previous tech replaced the heatsink fan.

There's dust buildup, but it's not terrible.

Ran Prime95 for 17 hours with 0 issues.

Last edited:
Run Prime95 on it for a few hours and see what happens. What do the logs say? 250 watts sounds light to me. I'd start there.

250w should be enough. I looked up the specs of that model and some did come with a GT 730 with the 250w PSU.

Also the Ryzen 5 1400 does not have integrated graphics so plugging into the onboard HDMI or VGA will not work.

Run Prime95 on it for a few hours and see what happens. What do the logs say? 250 watts sounds light to me. I'd start there.

I will do this now.

250w should be enough. I looked up the specs of that model and some did come with a GT 730 with the 250w PSU.

Also the Ryzen 5 1400 does not have integrated graphics so plugging into the onboard HDMI or VGA will not work.

Thanks for looking that up.

I figured only higher end AMD CPUs had no iGPU. It's annoying that AMD's product page for this CPU has no mention if there is or is not an iGPU.

Looks like en.wikichip.org is a good place to get those details - https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_5/1400

Looking at the manual shows the list of GPUs that can come with the system. GT 730 is an option.

I will do this now.

Thanks for looking that up.

I figured only higher end AMD CPUs had no iGPU. It's annoying that AMD's product page for this CPU has no mention if there is or is not an iGPU.

Looks like en.wikichip.org is a good place to get those details - https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_5/1400

Looking at the manual shows the list of GPUs that can come with the system. GT 730 is an option.

Also when you look at the PSREF it will tell you that there is no iGPU.

I'm pretty sure all Ryzen desktop processors don't have a GPU unless they are an APU model with a G or GE suffix. Like Ryzen 5 2400G.

Also when you look at the PSREF it will tell you that there is no iGPU.

I'm pretty sure all Ryzen desktop processors don't have a GPU unless they are an APU model with a G or GE suffix. Like Ryzen 5 2400G.

PSREF = Product Specifications Reference

Is this a Lenovo-only thing?

PSREF = Product Specifications Reference

Is this a Lenovo-only thing?
Yea PSREF is Lenovo's information deal. Kinda like QuickSpecs for HP.

What I like about Lenovo's is they have all the model numbers in PSREF. So in the case of yours, 90H1000FUS you can look up the specs. Handy when buying from a website that doesn't display enough specs. To my knowledge Dell nor HP have a comprehensive list like that.

One thing HP has that I don't think Dell or Lenovo do is PartSurfer. Put in the serial and get all the components and parts of the machine. When you lookup a Dell you can see the components when it shipped but Dell descriptions can be pretty cryptic. HP also lists all the parts in the service manual which can be helpful.

I kinda wish they all had a combination of PartSurfer and PSREF. Would make life easier.

Just started. Used default torture test. Power settings set to High Performance so the PC does not go to sleep.

Edit: I have very little experience with Prime95. System is at 99% CPU, 86% RAM, 0% HDD.

Edit 2: really wish someone could tell me how to test the power supply.

Edit 3: three hours later and it's still running.

Last edited:
I have very little experience with Prime95.
Instead of just checking memory addresses like Memtest it pummels the memory and burns the CPU. It didn't find anything and adds doubt that anything CPU/memory or MB related being the problem. (The "Prime" part of the name is that it tries to compute prime numbers. Really cooks a CPU.)

Lenovo does this. If you look on the page the OP linked you see a parts menu item. It’s all the parts for the system.
How long has that been there? lol Maybe it was crappier years ago so I never bothered to look again. When I go to the support page it's mainly for warranty lookup or drivers.

Problem: went to the store and got a mini HDMI to HDMI adapter for the GT 730. Still will not output to the display.

I am ending Prime95 after running it with 0 issues for 17 hours. 0 issues = no need to look at logs?

I assume this puts some strain on the PSU, too. It does not strain the GPU.

Perhaps the GPU is the reason why it sometimes shuts down when playing videos and gaming.

Power Supply Testing

The PSU outputs between 0.2 and 17 amps, so I set my multimeter to DC 20.

Inserted paper clip into the green wire (PS_ON) and into a random black wire (ground). I did not get shocked lol. Heard no noises.

Inserted multimeter's red probe into the single blue wire and the black probe into a black wire.

PSU states the blue wire is -12V - 0.2A. Multimeter reading = -12.43 volts.

(3) yellow wires should be +12V1 - 17A. Multimeter reading for all (3) = 12.08 volts.

PSU mentions an orange wire -12V2 - 15A. There are no orange wires.

There are (4) black wires, (3) yellow wires, (1) blue wire, and (1) green wire for a total of 9 wires/pins with an empty pin hole.

I am guessing I am not able to read the green wire?

Last edited:
That card only supports two monitors so the hdmi is either or with DVI port 0. Boot the machine up with only the hdmi port and i bet it will boot. If not the card is bad.

That card only supports two monitors so the hdmi is either or with DVI port 0. Boot the machine up with only the hdmi port and i bet it will boot. If not the card is bad.
Are you saying that even though it has (3) video ports, it can only support (2) monitors?

I only ever tried connecting (1) monitor. Tried via DVI to HDMI + mini HDMI to HDMI. Neither works.

The customer never stated that the system was not outputting to their display - it was just overheating/shutting down randomly. Should at least be able to see the UEFI.

Must be the GPU that is broke.

Another Technibbler says the GPU may have came with the system.

The manual for this PC lists a GT 730 as an option.

It had to come with a GPU because the system does not have integrated graphics.

Back