No power to motherboard

EpicRhox

Reaction score
Hey folks,

This is probably one of my first posts on here. First I would like to say thank you for all the past help you all have given me without even knowing it.

Unfortunately today... I am at my wits end. I swapped out my work PC and offered it up to a friend without a HDD. Now suddenly I can't get my old PC to boot after buying a new SSD for it, and I don't mean to POST I mean legit not showing any signs of power.

So heres the step by step situation.

Mobo: GA-Z87N-WIFI
CPU: Intel i3-4330
Ram: 2x Elpida 2GB 2Rx8 PC3-10600U-9-10-B0
GPU: MSI 650
PSU: EVGA 500w B

So I started out cloned my friends HDD to a new SSD for him. He asked if he could use ram from his old pc so that was this one would have 8GB instead of the 4GB, and put in his EVGA 1050 GPU.

His Ram: PGQ316G1600ELQK

This Haswell CPU only has a max voltage rating of 1.5+5% while his ram has a voltage of 1.6
After double checking everything I read said that the CPU should down clock the ram to match the max voltage.

So after installing the ram and the SSD, I plug the power in and press the button for nothing to happen.
I began removing one thing at a time trying the power, first the GPU then the SSD, down to 1 stick of ram and finally replacing the ram with one stick of the original ram.

After all that still nothing. So I think well maybe the cpu didn't down clock like I thought it was going to and fried the CPU or MOBO. So I bough both.

MOBO: Asus B85M-G
CPU: Intel i7-4770k

All with the old Elpida ram I did a series of tests.
First I tried the old CPU in the new board, still no power.
Tried the new CPU in the old board, still no power.
Tried new cpu in the new mobo, still no power.

I have tried 3 different power supplies out of working PC's and still nothing.

I now have new ram coming tomorrow that garunteed as the right voltage.
F3-2133C11D-16GAR

I am losing my mind. This was supposed to be just get a new hard drive and done. Now I am out $350 and my sanity.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Power Switches all tested fine, Testing the 24pin connector while attached to the Asus mobo everything tested within range except the power_ok. It wasn't moving past 0v and nothing powered on...

During this testing I am not sure what happened but I tested pin 8 a couple times just to verify I was doing it right, the first 2 times it came out 0v ... the 3rd time the pc powered on. Tried a couple more time and has now continued to power on. So still at a loss as to why it wasn't powering before and what changed during the couple times I was testing pin 8.

After that tested the Gigabyte board and it powered on as well. I have no idea what changed and hope it doesn't become a randomly occurring issue.

The new ram arrived and the new cpu fan... however the cpu fan is missing the retention pins for the bracket... So now its another week wait for the replacements before I can put everything back in the case and try again.

Back