[SOLVED] Asus ZenBook Q526F Never Had Audio

Appletax

Reaction score
Solved: the Realtek audio chip came defective from the factory and must be replaced via micro-soldering.

------------------
Asus ZenBook Q526FA-AC044T, Serial Number: KBN0CV022926459

The laptop never once had audio output to the speakers or to devices connected to the 3.5mm port.

Customer (a DJ) made the mistake of not taking care of it under warranty, which ended 3/8/2021 and cannot be extended.

Not even a USB audio adapter will work.

Customer reset Windows 10. All settings look good. No driver issues.

I am able to get audio to work via Bluetooth and HDMI.

It has Realtek audio and Intel Display audio.

I think that Intel is handling the audio over Bluetooth and HDMI (no issues), and Realtek is handling the audio over the built-in speakers and 3.5mm port (non-functional).

Uninstalled both and deleted the drivers. Cannot install the drivers from Asus' website as they do not have executables (super ultra stupid and useless???). Let Windows Update install the Realtek drivers (which is on the same version offered on Asus' website) and used Intel Update Utility to install the Intel Display audio drivers (part of the GPU driver).

Also, the UEFI/BIOS settings are very limited and there's nothing audio-related within it. Cannot update it - I install the latest version and all it does is restarts Windows without installing the update.

It would be amusing if I disassembled the laptop and discovered a disconnected cable.

Edit: if a cable was disconnected, the Windows speaker icon should show a red x on it (No Audio Output Device is Installed).

Thoughts?

-----

A new motherboard from Asus' authorized and recommended reseller is almost $900 lol.

There's only 1 choice on eBay and it is $500.

Asus themselves will repair it. They want $85 (non-refundable) to diagnose it. After, they will provide a quote. Can pay it or reject it and get the laptop back.

Last edited:
Asus themselves will repair it. They want $85 (non-refundable) to diagnose it. After, they will provide a quote. Can pay it and reject it and get the laptop back.

Unless you truly want the headache, I'd tell the client to go this route initially.

This could be a real rabbit hole, and if the expense of fixing it by Asus was too expensive, the client may very well have some additional information from them that might make it easier for you.

Opened it up. Disconnected the speakers. Booted up and it shows no issues - can even adjust the volume. Strange. I figured it would say that there's no audio device installed with a red x icon.

Here's the mobo:

Capture.JPG

Is there anything else I can do?

Is there anything else I can do?

I realize, even before I say this, that this is not what you intended by this question. But I have no direct input of use for direct action.

If you have the client send the device to Asus, make sure you ask them to get the diagnosis information whether or not they have them fix it and to share it with you. If nothing else, it gives you information that may be useful in the future and, if Asus doesn't end up fixing it, knowing what's wrong may guide you to a much more rapid solution.

Not even a USB audio adapter will work.

Customer reset Windows 10. All settings look good. No driver issues.

I am able to get audio to work via Bluetooth and HDMI.
All these things add up to making it a likely software problem IMHO. If I were working on it here's what I'd do.

Make full image backup using Macrium Reflect
Make a Fab's backup
Wipe the system and do a clean install of Windows 10

Actually, I'd probably try a Live Linux CD and see if the audio worked before I tried the above.

And, the more I think about it, he's a DJ. Decent chance he's installed something that jacked up the audio on the system.

beat me to it @timeshifter Live Disc

You could also boot in safe mode and in msconfig disable all startup items, and in services "Hide all MS Services" and disable others.
Check the sound settings and check the default audio device, do you have a set of headphones to test?
Have you tried SDIO [Snappy Driver Installer Origin]. though as stated seems software related.

Yes there would be RED X if it where a hardware issue or no drivers installed.

Booted up Linux Mint 20.3 and there's no audio.

Reset the EUFI settings to defaults. Nothing.

This must be a hardware issue.

First, double-check that sound jack and make sure there isn't a broken tip stuck in there.

Check the Realtek chip number. We're replacing a lot of the ALC32xx chips. We just replaced an ALC3256 on an HP X360 last week that came in with the volume down stuck! We thought for sure it was a keyboard or volume switch (on the side) that went bad. The volume control stays on the screen, you can't close it, and if you slide the volume up it will go right back down like a stuck volume button or key but nah, we couldn't be so lucky. We replaced the sound chip to fix the issue and save the motherboard. We found the pad on the down button that goes to the sound chip shorted. Pulled the sound chip, short was gone. Put a new chip on the board and the problem was solved.

Wonder if the audio chip can be replaced with soldering.

To answer your question, yes that chip is most likely a QFN 48 pin and something we replace all the time. It takes us more time to locate and purchase the replacement chip than swap it out on a motherboard.

Back