[SOLVED] Bluetooth or HDMI to 3.5mm

Appletax

Reaction score
Solution: HDMI to 3.5mm audio extractor

-------------
Customer's laptop's Realtek audio chip is defective. The Intel audio works via Bluetooth and HDMI.

She had no success with a USB audio device, although there might be other ones that would work, such as the one sold by Sabrent.

Are there any devices that can accept a Bluetooth or HDMI signal from the laptop and convert it to 3.5mm?

Now I'd like to find a Bluetooth to 3.5mm converter.

Last edited:
Assuming you removed and re-installed or tried different audio drivers? (I've never seen a failed audio chip, just confused ones....) USB>3.5mm audio is very common.
This. Test with a linux disk. Make sure you have selected the proper output via the sound applet in the control panel. Plugging up HDMI can disable onboard sound which is a software problem not hardware.

Already diagnosed this issue in another thread and determined that mail-in service to another repair tech was needed - one who does microsoldering on motherboards.

The HDMI to 3.5mm is much cheaper. Client might do that instead of repairing the laptop.

I would bet that if the internal sound is blown, you won't get any audio off the HDMI either. Often, that's inputting the audio for that.

+1 for getting a USB sound card. That's the way to go.

The op should look in bios and see if the onboard sound can be disabled. Or disable it in Device Manager. That way it doesn’t interfere with the external device.

I would bet that if the internal sound is blown, you won't get any audio off the HDMI either. Often, that's inputting the audio for that.

+1 for getting a USB sound card. That's the way to go.

Intel audio appears to handle the HDMI and Bluetooth - both output audio fine.

Realtek handles the internal speakers and 3.5mm jack - neither work.

Client tried a USB sound adapter and it did not work. It worked in another laptop of her's.

for USB you likely need a USB sound card the plug n play adapters I am guessing don't do any anything beyond register additional input and output ports and still rely on the chipset of the device which appears to be broken.

for USB you likely need a USB sound card the plug n play adapters I am guessing don't do any anything beyond register additional input and output ports and still rely on the chipset of the device which appears to be broken.

Told her about it. The one by Sabrent seems real nice.

Back