Any decent Linux distro for MacBook white 2007 or better switch to other hardware?

Peperonix

Reaction score
One of my customer (speaking French), currently Mac user, wants to discover Linux and maybe one day switch to it.

I convinced him that instead of completely giving up using Mac OS today, it's better getting to grips with Linux gradually, taking the time to discover applications equivalent to those currently used, and maybe one day make the leap.

The client has an old MacBook white 2007 (EMC 2242) that we could convert to Linux, and a recent Mac, that for now will stay with MacOS.
The current RAM is 2x 1GB PC2-5300s, which could be upgraded to 4GB (2x 2GB PC2-6400s), but the specs show that the HDD interface is only SATA 1 (1.5 Gbit/s).

If the computer supported SATA II (3 Gbit/s), one could still obtain decent performances with 4GB DDR2 and a quality SSD (MLC).
In such a case, I probably would have chosen Q4OS, with its old-fashioned but lightweight Trinity desktop, or maybe its Plasma desktop, although somewhat slow with such hardware specs.

However, the SATA I bottleneck make me doubt that an SSD would really bring enough performance to run a Linux distro that is not a toy.
Would you have any decent distribution to recommend for SATA 1 computers?

The needs are those of a one-person company with casual use of computers, and builds music playlists.

I think the best thing to do is recommending a more recent hardware and stable distro with a recent desktop, unless someone can suggest a decent distro for this old computer.

If installing on a more modern hardware, I would likely pick, Q4OS with the KDE Plasma Desktop, that I find quite brilliant.

I also like Zorin, but I find it has some ergonomic flaws ; I have only experience of the Basic edition and not the Pro (paid) one.
Other candidates that I have in mind are Kubuntu and Debian. I like Ubuntu moderately. I never been a fan of Mint.

I believe that the quality of the interface matters, how it is polished and ergonomic, and usually dislike distros with dark themes although this can often be switched.

I am myself a Linux user for long time, but I mostly use it for data recovery tasks.
So I am biaised by the experience, and need to put myself in a beginner's shoes.

Thank you for your suggestions (for distros, a.s.o), especially if you have feedbacks from clients who discovered Linux through you.

This isn't a good idea. That hardware is outdated for a reason. Aged hardware is one thing... ancient hardware is quite another.

Just because you can make something work, doesn't mean the experience using it will be good. All you do by trying to put a modern OS on that ancient hardware is create a slug that no one wants to use. It doesn't matter what the OS is! The user's experience is what matters.

And if that isn't enough... the value of this work is below the time you've already put into this process thinking about it!

This is one of those things that if the client wants to learn and do it for themselves, it has value. But getting paid to do it for them really doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Just because you can make something work, doesn't mean the experience using it will be good. All you do by trying to put a modern OS on that ancient hardware is create a slug that no one wants to use. It doesn't matter what the OS is! The user's experience is what matters.
I totally agree.
You confirm my initial impression.

On Dell Latitude E6400/E6500 (released Q4 2008) running Windows Vista Business, Intel Core 2 Duo, NVIDIA NVS 160M (256MB), Crucial M4 SSD (MLC-NAND), 2x 2GB RAM DDR2, office 2010 Family and Business in only 1-2 seconds only. That's impressive.

But there is a difference between an oldware and and antiqueware, and I see the MacBook 2007 as belonging to the second category.

With Linux, speed is often related to how heavy the desktop and graphics are.
Xubuntu could do the job, but for sure would not provide an optimal user experience.
So I am going to suggest newer hardware.

I totally agree.
You confirm my initial impression.

On Dell Latitude E6400/E6500 (released Q4 2008) running Windows Vista Business, Intel Core 2 Duo, NVIDIA NVS 160M (256MB), Crucial M4 SSD (MLC-NAND), 2x 2GB RAM DDR2, office 2010 Family and Business in only 1-2 seconds only. That's impressive.

But there is a difference between an oldware and and antiqueware, and I see the MacBook 2007 as belonging to the second category.

With Linux, speed is often related to how heavy the desktop and graphics are.
Xubuntu could do the job, but for sure would not provide an optimal user experience.
So I am going to suggest newer hardware.
Also, your Dell is running a non Mobile CPU which will have a higher TDP. The Mac is using a mobile chip with a 35W TDP, whereas most non mobile chips would be minimum 65W of that era.

It's not that the mac is horrible, just dated. Also, if memory serves, those had issues with the top palm rest cracking. Linux wasn't really that great on older macs. You are also going to be limited by the aging gpu in that mac. It will struggle with even basic YouTube videos.

Maybe setup a VM on the current mac?

Those MacBooks were, more or less, the chromebook/celerons of the day. Intentionally underpowered to cost less to build so they could be sold at low cost. At least what Apple thinks is low cost.

Some of the slim versions of Ubuntu should work, like Xubuntu or Lubuntu. Mint and Manjaro also have minimal requirements.

Back